Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Retiring Windows 7 Anyone Else?

19 Dec 2009   #191
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

I wouldn't want to have to go back to XP now that I've had 7 for a week.....not a chance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Dec 2009   #192
davewilldo

Windows 7
 
 

Having received updates following my post about "The Magnificent Seven" and why I went back to Windows XP it is apparent that a lot of people agree that there are some short falls in the new OS.
It's clear that people generally like the idea of windows 7 and have been looking forward to it's release but are dissapopinted by new features they find unhelpfull and how the features are imposed without the owner being able to tailor or customise the OS to their preference.
This is very counter productive to an individual who primarily uses a PC as a tool for business or personal interests and does not view the entertainment value of the new OS as important as the benefits of ease of use, speed and productivity improvements.
Generally it is agreed that XP is old technology now and it does not look as shiny as 7 and people posting to this thread properly and honestly list their dislike of many things in 7 such as the apparently very slow speed or response compared to XP, their dislike of Libraries and so on.
Mostly they are very honest and valid reasons, but immediately they are pillioried as "Old Fashioned", implications of an inability to see the truth and insinuations of stupidity rain down upon them and, in extreme, 'attention whores'.
Strangely all this from posters who obviously find windows 7 perfectly good enough for their purpose.
This thread was started by a person who did not agree with a point of view that winows 7 is so good, and was interested if any one else felt the same. Like myself he was probably interested to find out if it was just his experience or if others felt the same. It's apparent now that this is not unique to him, or me for that matter. Some of us have particular standards that we judge products by that this product fails to meet. A thread such as this can, and has, cleared up some queries that were genuinely user error or oversight and as such is very helpfull, however in my opinion it is not helpfull to post to a thread just be insulting because you find the opinion does not agree with your point of view.
There are many other pro windows 7 threads on this forum so surely there is no need to post on this thread if you are completely satisfied with windows 7 unless you have a helpfull point to make.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #193
zone23

Windows 7 X64
 
 

Its called "Programs and Features" its in control panel if you don't like something uninstall it. Its that simple. Sorry Windows 7 has killed your productivity.

Oh ya and windows XPs support for dual core and quad core (not to mention memory management) SUCKS so good luck with that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Dec 2009   #194
zone23

Windows 7 X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xzaviar View Post
Well, after a lengthy trial of Windows 7 I've decided to retire the blessed OS and use it on my testbed only. This is a personal decision and I'm not dissing 7, these are just my opinions.

I've been using 7 from RC 7100 (I even purchased 7600 about a week after the release) and to tell you the truth I love 7. It's beautiful and feature packed, but it's no match for XP as far as what I want in an OS.

I want ease of use, familiarity, dependablity.....

I know I'm opening myself wide up for vicious attacks here but here I am; cut my heart out.

Seven is about (in my estimate) a year away from proper driver support and technical fixes. My Hybrid sleep won't work despite all the latest drivers. It's wonky with any type of multiple hard drive configuration. Why on earth does 7 need to write to the boot sector of all HD's on a system, even just storage drives, and USB Drives. What a stinking mess this makes. It leaves a system with no versatility what-so-ever!

Programs that run flawlessly on XP either won't run on 7 or take a "geek of the year finalist" to get them to run; Crysis...

Games, at least on my system, (and mine is, while not an i7, pretty high in performance) run about 20% slower, with studer.

In my opinion RC 7100 was better than the RTM.

My scanner is not compatible with 7. This wouldn't be such a big deal if 7 wouldn't totally invade my other hard drives. It's as though 7 lives and the longer it mingles with other HD's the more it owns them. Eerie

Even Linux distros aren't as pervasive.

I have eight computers in use at my house. One with Vista running solid. Seven with XP Pro running solid. I also have a testbed built into a workbench in my basement that I use for computer repair troubleshooting. I have multiple HD's with different OS. I will run my 7 from this unit so I can become more familiar with the OS and try to determine when it is mature enough for me to use as my main OS.

So, in a nutshell; Windows 7 is not something I'll use for some time to come.

I repair computers as a side job. No storefront or anything like that but I have about forty customers. For those that have asked if they need to upgrade to 7 I tell them no. Honestly they will receive no benefit from upgrading. We're talking people who surf the web, face book, email... I tell them to wait till it's time for them to buy a new computer and it will be preloaded with 7. What on earth is the sense for them to spend $150.00+ for a new OS on old hardware that will most likely be problematic because of the hardware?????

I know this post will be ripped to shreds and I'll be staked to an anthill, covered with corn syrup and left to die an agonizing death. So I offer myself to you to stomp on...

But I would like to know if there are any others out there that have gone back to a previous version of Windows after using 7 for a while and what your reasons are.

And come on, those of you in love with 7 no matter what comes your way; let the people who have switched back tell their stories and direct your hate towards me. I'm not scared, bring it on!

Also for all you nooBs out their... This is the post I originally replying to. Its the one that started the thread. See at the bottom were its says "bring it on". This is not you davewilldo so why are you acting like you started the thread and all the response now belong to you? If you have a thread I would be happy to come over and insult you personally.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #195
cuginovin

WINDOWS XP Premium
 
 

[QUOTE=davewilldo;451037]Having received updates following my post about "The Magnificent Seven" and why I went back to Windows XP it is apparent that a lot of people agree that there are some short falls in the new OS.
It's clear that people generally like the idea of windows 7 and have been looking forward to it's release but are dissapopinted by new features they find unhelpfull and how the features are imposed without the owner being able to tailor or customise the OS to their preference.
This is very counter productive to an individual who primarily uses a PC as a tool for business or personal interests and does not view the entertainment value of the new OS as important as the benefits of ease of use, speed and productivity improvements.


Thank you for your Post. I was kinda blasted because I liked the classic look. For me , it was the ease of getting around. I also dislike that many of my programs that I have been using will not work. I know they're old, but I have been using them for several years and can see no reason to purchase new software just to accomodate 7. The Win7 brand new computer was given to me by a person who couldn't handle the new system. I have it set up just to learn it. I dread the thought of my computer crashing or needing a new motherboard. The restore disk is not good for another computer. That's why I have now purchased a COA copy of XP Pro. Windows 7 is pretty and great for the people who do games and graphics.

I only joined this forum to learn about 7. I will continue to read the posts, but this will be my last post to it. So you guys who want to ridicule me for not liking 7, go ahead.

I'm wondering why they're working on Windows 8?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #196
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cuginovin View Post
I'm wondering why they're working on Windows 8?
Because for profit companies who cease development of new products often go out of business.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #197
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
So you guys who want to ridicule me for not liking 7, go ahead.

I am sorry if it appeared as if we were making fun of you. That was not the intent. But it is rather strange that you would want to hang on to this old appliance XP when Win7 is such a superior system in all regards. And old programs can be run in compatibility mode - so that is no excuse. The only reason I could see at this moment is the investment that one needs to make to migrate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #198
noyb

XP MCE .... XP Pro 64 .... W7 U x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
...when Win7 is such a superior system in all regards...
It's obvious you don't know how crippled it is ..
and why many of us find it very difficult (unfriendly) to use.
Compatibility mode does not put the good tools (removed) back in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #199
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

In my respects, I think this just shows that 1 thing is not the same for everyone. Lots of people would argue that new cars with modern features, airbags and increased fuel economy are far superior. However, there are those who prefer and want to keep their older cars....some to save money...others just because they don't see a need to spend money on a new car and others simply because they might prefer a classic to a modern equivalent.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #200
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noyb View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
...when Win7 is such a superior system in all regards...
It's obvious you don't know how crippled it is ..
and why many of us find it very difficult (unfriendly) to use.
Compatibility mode does not put the good tools (removed) back in.

Since I am using Win7 for about a year now, I am very aware of some of the shortfalls. But I have yet to find one where I could not substitute with a different function/facility. But you have to look at the overall picture and ease of doing something in Win7 versus e.g. XP - just think of sharing as an example.
I also wish they would have left some of the deleted Vista functions in and would not have ruined programs like Movie Maker. But since all of that can be tweaked, it is not a big deal.

The main complaint that I have is that they spread the GUI for the system settings all over the place - e.g. setting the shadowstorage is not in the Backup and Restore but hidden in Computer > Properties. Go figure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Retiring Windows 7 Anyone Else?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Why retiring Steve Ballmer deserves more credit than gets
Read more at: Why the retiring Steve Ballmer deserves more credit than he's getting | ZDNet
News
Steve Ballmer Retiring in a Year
Steve Ballmer has made it official that he will be retiring in (12) months. Microsoft has not named it's successor, yet ! (Article)
News
Google retiring Chrome Frame plugin for old IE
Read more at: http://www.zdnet.com/google-retiring-chrome-frame-plugin-for-old-ie-7000016843/
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:54.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App