Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Some .exe don't start

10 Dec 2009   #11
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

As you can see, those programs ( Show Desktop.exe, ChanThreadWatch.exe, Show Desktop.exe, and TweaksLogon.exe) are not compatible when run as native windows 7 programs... Try running them in Vista/XP compatibility mode... no guarantee that they will, but its worth a try...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Dec 2009   #12
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

As far as Show Desktop, what is wrong with the built in function for that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #13
cere88

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
As you can see, those programs ( Show Desktop.exe, ChanThreadWatch.exe, Show Desktop.exe, and TweaksLogon.exe) are not compatible when run as native windows 7 programs... Try running them in Vista/XP compatibility mode... no guarantee that they will, but its worth a try...
No, they are compatible. As I said before they all worked without problems before 24/11/09 on Windows 7 (On the same laptop that now doesn't make them work). And yes, I've tried to run them in Vista/XP compatibility but nothing changes.

So the point is: what could have changed that made these programs doesn't work? How can I know/repair it?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
As far as Show Desktop, what is wrong with the built in function for that?
Sorry I didn't understand, what do you mean?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Dec 2009   #14
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Possibly an update through WU??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #15
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Hmm, actually crashing on launch then... (Rather than "Crashing" these days, most programs get caught doing something that might crash or /would/ crash and the OS throws an "exception" which a LOT of programmers don't bother to "catch" and the result is the program is closed without any warning.)

But anyway, my next move would be to catch the crash with a debugger and investigate if you have "teh koding skilz" Short of that, I'd say that those programs were probably not /really/ W7 complient even though they appeared to work and suddeny your finding that out. I wouldn't JUST expect them to suddenly stop working but a Windows Update, program install or uninstall might cause it.

As for solution, yes W7 has a couple of "show desktop" features built in, and the others I'd stop using till a W7 version of them is created.

Though you could always try to reinstall the applications if they came with an installer...

[Edit] BTW Exception code 0xC0000005 is a memory acess violation. The most common exception. Cause by either forcing a call to a library that has changed version/api on the program or by simply poor programming practice. I.e. allocating a 100 byte char array to hold say a a file path, and that works for a long time then one day the OS returns a 101 character path and suddenly POW...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #16
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cere88 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
As you can see, those programs ( Show Desktop.exe, ChanThreadWatch.exe, Show Desktop.exe, and TweaksLogon.exe) are not compatible when run as native windows 7 programs... Try running them in Vista/XP compatibility mode... no guarantee that they will, but its worth a try...
No, they are compatible. As I said before they all worked without problems before 24/11/09 on Windows 7 (On the same laptop that now doesn't make them work). And yes, I've tried to run them in Vista/XP compatibility but nothing changes.

So the point is: what could have changed that made these programs doesn't work? How can I know/repair it?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
As far as Show Desktop, what is wrong with the built in function for that?
Sorry I didn't understand, what do you mean?
\

Cere

There is something that can cause this. go to control panel>system control panel>advanced settings>performance>DEP. What is it set to?

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #17
SpYke

win 7
 
 

reinstall it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #18
cere88

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
Hmm, actually crashing on launch then... (Rather than "Crashing" these days, most programs get caught doing something that might crash or /would/ crash and the OS throws an "exception" which a LOT of programmers don't bother to "catch" and the result is the program is closed without any warning.)

But anyway, my next move would be to catch the crash with a debugger and investigate if you have "teh koding skilz" Short of that, I'd say that those programs were probably not /really/ W7 complient even though they appeared to work and suddeny your finding that out. I wouldn't JUST expect them to suddenly stop working but a Windows Update, program install or uninstall might cause it.

As for solution, yes W7 has a couple of "show desktop" features built in, and the others I'd stop using till a W7 version of them is created.

Though you could always try to reinstall the applications if they came with an installer...

[Edit] BTW Exception code 0xC0000005 is a memory acess violation. The most common exception. Cause by either forcing a call to a library that has changed version/api on the program or by simply poor programming practice. I.e. allocating a 100 byte char array to hold say a a file path, and that works for a long time then one day the OS returns a 101 character path and suddenly POW...
Thanks for the help Well I have no coding skills so I can't debug them, and no, they don't came with an installer.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cere88 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
As you can see, those programs ( Show Desktop.exe, ChanThreadWatch.exe, Show Desktop.exe, and TweaksLogon.exe) are not compatible when run as native windows 7 programs... Try running them in Vista/XP compatibility mode... no guarantee that they will, but its worth a try...
No, they are compatible. As I said before they all worked without problems before 24/11/09 on Windows 7 (On the same laptop that now doesn't make them work). And yes, I've tried to run them in Vista/XP compatibility but nothing changes.

So the point is: what could have changed that made these programs doesn't work? How can I know/repair it?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
As far as Show Desktop, what is wrong with the built in function for that?
Sorry I didn't understand, what do you mean?
\

Cere

There is something that can cause this. go to control panel>system control panel>advanced settings>performance>DEP. What is it set to?

Ken J+
It is set on "Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and devices only"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #19
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

These functions are built in, as has been mentioned - use Aero Peek and keyboard shortcuts instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #20
cere88

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
These functions are built in, as has been mentioned - use Aero Peek and keyboard shortcuts instead.
Well with that ShowDesktop I could minimize my windows without hiding Rocketdock, wich is a dock I'm using. And again, this is a problem with my OS, not these programs' problem. I can have this problem with other programs I will use, that's why I'm trying to fix it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Some .exe don't start




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Acer won't start, Black screen / Windows failed to start
Hi, Can someone please help me? I'm a first-time forum user :o I've got an Acer Aspire laptop here that has decided to stop loading/starting up. When I turn the power button on: - I can see the Acer logo screen (and also get into setup if I press F2) - The cursor (_) blinks once or twice...
General Discussion
Laptop won't start after update, can't start start up repair either
My mother in law has a toshiba satellite p775-s7100 and this morning she told me there was a toshiba update, I was on her laptop yesterday and saw there was an update for her bios, so I'm assuming she clicked the update button and messed the update up somehow. Now when we try to boot the laptop,...
General Discussion
Asus Ai Suite II -is it OK to change Scheduled Start to Windows Start
BASIC INFO I have Windows Ultimate (x64). I use the Asus Suite II supplied with my Asus Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Motherboard (which I like for fan and temperature monitoring) PROBLEM Ai Suite II always loads BUT "on screen" it is messy during loading because a seemingly AI Suite bar sized...
General Discussion
the following boot start or system start drivers failed to load
I'm not sure where to even begin to fix these problems. Some online searches suggested doing a system repair but I want to get some more feedback here before proceeding. Here is the message from the event log: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AFD cmdGuard...
BSOD Help and Support
Classic Start Menu: Start Button appears doubled
Switched to the XP-ish Classic Start Menu, plus Adjust for Best Performance, in the usual prescribed way, no third-party interface-modifiers. All looks & works fine except that the Start button itself looks like TWO buttons -- one atop the other and just slightly out of alignment (screenshot here)....
Customization
services start/stop or change from autostart to demand start
My brand new Dell laptop keeps losing its active window focus. I have tried to pinpoint the problem to a service or startup and did not find anything specific. I am now checking the System logs and I see things like : The Windows Modules Installer Service changes every couple of seconds its...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App