Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: installing software question

19 Dec 2009   #1
oystercatcher

xp, win7
 
 
installing software question

I have been running win7 x64 for a month. I am coming from a winxp
environment so I am not familiar with the changes introduced by vista.

When installing software if I right click on the .exe, I am presented with
the option to Run as administrator. Or I can just double click the .exe
file. Is there any rule of thumb as to when I should use the Run as
administrator method? Can someone point me to some documentation
that explains the difference?

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Dec 2009   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oystercatcher View Post
I have been running win7 x64 for a month. I am coming from a winxp
environment so I am not familiar with the changes introduced by vista.

When installing software if I right click on the .exe, I am presented with
the option to Run as administrator. Or I can just double click the .exe
file. Is there any rule of thumb as to when I should use the Run as
administrator method? Can someone point me to some documentation
that explains the difference?

Thanks
To run as administrator you must either be in an administrors' user account or give an administrators ID. This is for your protection. Any change that will affect the entire OS and not just your indivual user's account must be done by an administrator. If you give a users account to someone else (not an administrator account) that person cannot do anything that can cause you problems such as download programs etc. Hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2009   #3
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

I am taking the liberty to post this point in a second reply, since it is something that you did not ask.

Since you are new to Windows 7, allow me to give you some additional pointers

If you have only one account and it is an administrators account. Make a second administrators account, with a different password (make sure you do not forget it). There have been many questions here about not being able to get into the adm account, due to corruption, forgotten password etc.

Many here will disaree with this statement, but I like to use a regular account rather than adm. We all have other things on our mind and if I make a change to my computer that can have a lasting effect, I want to be reminded of that, with the need to give the adm ID, of the account which is not being used.

Finally, before you buy a AntiVirus, with windows you can get a great one free. MSE, Microsoft Security Essentials, just visit the website.

Happy Holidays and good surfing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Dec 2009   #4
oystercatcher

xp, win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oystercatcher View Post
I have been running win7 x64 for a month. I am coming from a winxp
environment so I am not familiar with the changes introduced by vista.

When installing software if I right click on the .exe, I am presented with
the option to Run as administrator. Or I can just double click the .exe
file. Is there any rule of thumb as to when I should use the Run as
administrator method? Can someone point me to some documentation
that explains the difference?

Thanks
To run as administrator you must either be in an administrors' user account or give an administrators ID. This is for your protection. Any change that will affect the entire OS and not just your indivual user's account must be done by an administrator. If you give a users account to someone else (not an administrator account) that person cannot do anything that can cause you problems such as download programs etc. Hope this helps.
I just checked and my account is an admin account - I am the only user on the system. Based on your response, I shouldn't need to use the Run as administrator right click option

Thanks

I am including some details about my system.

intel duo core, 4 GB ram, 120 GB sata drive (from a laptop) for testing win7.
1.5 TB seagate for everything except the OS. ATI Radeon HD 4350 with
9-11_vista64_win7_64_dd.exe driver. SBLive OEM with kxproject driver
kxdrv3550-x64-full.exe. Planning on finding and testing a driver for the
onboard intel audio.
160 GB WD drive with winxp, fc11 which will be updated to win7 and fc12
once the win7 testing is completed.

64 bit applications installed and being tested:
firefox 3.5.5 shiretoko, vim7, python 3.1, 7zip, virtualdub

32 bit applications installed and being tested:
garmin mapsource, city navigator north america, alien arena, ekiga (voip),
mcabber (im), mutt, Fugawi (marine charts), abiword, foxit, foobar2000,
qsynth, mplayer

Comments:
garmin mapsource - some problems with zoom and scrolling topo maps from gpsfiledepot
vim7 Edit with vim - right mouse click registry tweak added manually
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2009   #5
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oystercatcher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oystercatcher View Post
I have been running win7 x64 for a month. I am coming from a winxp
environment so I am not familiar with the changes introduced by vista.

When installing software if I right click on the .exe, I am presented with
the option to Run as administrator. Or I can just double click the .exe
file. Is there any rule of thumb as to when I should use the Run as
administrator method? Can someone point me to some documentation
that explains the difference?

Thanks
To run as administrator you must either be in an administrors' user account or give an administrators ID. This is for your protection. Any change that will affect the entire OS and not just your indivual user's account must be done by an administrator. If you give a users account to someone else (not an administrator account) that person cannot do anything that can cause you problems such as download programs etc. Hope this helps.
I just checked and my account is an admin account - I am the only user on the system. Based on your response, I shouldn't need to use the Run as administrator right click option

Thanks

I am including some details about my system.

intel duo core, 4 GB ram, 120 GB sata drive (from a laptop) for testing win7.
1.5 TB seagate for everything except the OS. ATI Radeon HD 4350 with
9-11_vista64_win7_64_dd.exe driver. SBLive OEM with kxproject driver
kxdrv3550-x64-full.exe. Planning on finding and testing a driver for the
onboard intel audio.
160 GB WD drive with winxp, fc11 which will be updated to win7 and fc12
once the win7 testing is completed.

64 bit applications installed and being tested:
firefox 3.5.5 shiretoko, vim7, python 3.1, 7zip, virtualdub

32 bit applications installed and being tested:
garmin mapsource, city navigator north america, alien arena, ekiga (voip),
mcabber (im), mutt, Fugawi (marine charts), abiword, foxit, foobar2000,
qsynth, mplayer

Comments:
garmin mapsource - some problems with zoom and scrolling topo maps from gpsfiledepot
vim7 Edit with vim - right mouse click registry tweak added manually

From windows help section.



In this version of Windows, the Run as command has been changed to Run as administrator. You should rarely have to use the Run as administrator command, because Windows automatically prompts you for an administrator password when necessary. Some older programs might still require you to use the Run as administrator command to eliminate the need to log off and then log back on.
[IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.CollapseArrow[/IMG][IMG]mshelp://Help/?id=Microsoft.Windows.Resources.ExpandArrow[/IMG] To run a program as an administrator
  1. <LI class=step>Right-click the program icon or file that you want to open, and then click Run as administrator.
    The Run as administrator command
  2. Select the administrator account that you want to use, type the password, and then click Yes.
Tip
  • If you're logged on as an administrator you can run a program as a different user by typing runas.exe /user name at a command prompt.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 installing software question




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Software Question
I use Acronis. With ATI there is a feature called "Try and Decide". I use Try and Decide and find it extremely handy. It loads you OS disk into a VHD and lets you make changes to your system (install, uninstall etc.) then when you close it you have the option to save or discard the changes. Does...
Software
installing old software on 64 bit
i had a runtime 3024 error and seemed to fix it by copying files from program files 86 to program files. but why does it crash? i no longer get the error messege but the program just freazes.???????? can anyone solves this?
Installation & Setup
installing x86 software on w7 x64
Hi all, Will installing a x86 version application damage my w7 x64 notebook? thanx in advance.
Installation & Setup
installing software with .msi
My PC has two users ( myself and wife). Upgraded from vista ( the computer, not the wife :D) In her log-in I can install software no problem. In mine I get an error if it's an msi install. Error 2203 Has anyone got any idea where I should look for the problem?
Software
I0 bit software question
hi well all know about I0 bit they make great software i read on there website that advanced system is compatable with windows 7 but i read early on websites that it causes problems? has anyone tested it or know of anyone that has had problems?
Software
One BIG software question!!
I have a fortune invested in software running fine on an XP machine. I just bought a laptop with Win7 installed. I have heard and read of many problems with software not functioning, display problems, and installation problems. Is there a location where software is listed that causes problems...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App