Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Permission issues

25 Dec 2009   #1
Kornmod

 
Permission issues

I have they usually permission issues with windows 7. I sometimes get this error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."
So fare there are 3 files I can't open: 2 .exe files and 1 .pst file on 2 different hdd's (non of them my system hdd)

* I'm running Win7 Pro 32-bit (build 7600), which I installed 2 days ago on a newly formatted hdd.
* I have only installed a few neccesary apps like anti-virus, office etc.
* I'm logged in as Admin, and Admin, system and everyone has "full control"
* I never had this problem when I ran Win7 RC whith the same apps.
* I've tried the "take ownership"-thingy.
* I've tried to choose the "run as admin".
* I have no problems running these files when windows is in safe mode, which make me think it isn't a "real" permission issue but some kind of background service or app that is blocking the files.
* I've tried to disable my anti-virus app (AVG) in msconfig (under "services" and "startup") and then reboot (of course).

I think that's all that I've tried.
Hope you guys will be able to help 'cos it's a really pain in the backside.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Dec 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kornmod View Post
I have they usually permission issues with windows 7. I sometimes get this error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."
So fare there are 3 files I can't open: 2 .exe files and 1 .pst file on 2 different hdd's (non of them my system hdd)

* I'm running Win7 Pro 32-bit (build 7600), which I installed 2 days ago on a newly formatted hdd.
* I have only installed a few neccesary apps like anti-virus, office etc.
* I'm logged in as Admin, and Admin, system and everyone has "full control"
* I never had this problem when I ran Win7 RC whith the same apps.
* I've tried the "take ownership"-thingy.
* I've tried to choose the "run as admin".
* I have no problems running these files when windows is in safe mode, which make me think it isn't a "real" permission issue but some kind of background service or app that is blocking the files.
* I've tried to disable my anti-virus app (AVG) in msconfig (under "services" and "startup") and then reboot (of course).

I think that's all that I've tried.
Hope you guys will be able to help 'cos it's a really pain in the backside.
Hi KM and welcome

Really nice first post. To be honest, since they work in safe mode I suspect you are right it isnt perms it is more likely avg. Even disabled it can (and does) cause grief. Only sure way to find out is to remove it. If it isnt theproblem you can always add it back.


Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2009   #3
Kornmod

 

Hi ZigZag

Thanks for you quick reply.
Tried uninstalling AVG and it worked.

Now to a new question:
Can anybody recommend another anti-virus app??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Dec 2009   #4
Kornmod

 

For info then I reinstalled AVG and worked out the problem.

The component in AVG that causes the grief is called "Resident Shield" (which check every file that you access). You can choose "Resident Shield" from either the overview screen or via the "Compenents" dropbox.

Once in the "Resident Shield" screen click the "Manage Exceptions"-button, which will take you to a page where you can exclude files and/or folders from being checked by "Resident Shield".

See screenshots below for clarification.


.


Attached Thumbnails
Permission issues-avg-1.jpg   Permission issues-avg-2.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Currently I think MSE ( http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ ) is the best free security program you can have. Some people also recommend Avira, but I have never tried it whilst I run MSE on 3 systems with excellent results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #6
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Currently I think MSE ( http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ ) is the best free security program you can have. Some people also recommend Avira, but I have never tried it whilst I run MSE on 3 systems with excellent results.
I second MSE, just wanted to get my vote in before the rush starts to push Avira.

It is subjective, of course, but what puts MSE in the lead is that it was specifically made with Windows in mind.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #7
Kornmod

 

Not available in your country or region

You appear to be in a country or region where Microsoft Security Essentials is not available. Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Security Essentials.

Baaahh. Humbug!!


Thanks for your replies, guys.
For now I will continue to use AVG until my product key expires. Hopefully by then MSE will be available up here in the cold north.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kornmod View Post
Not available in your country or region

You appear to be in a country or region where Microsoft Security Essentials is not available. Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Security Essentials.

Baaahh. Humbug!!


Thanks for your replies, guys.
For now I will continue to use AVG until my product key expires. Hopefully by then MSE will be available up here in the cold north.

I would think twice before using AVG - too many problems. Anything else is better, in my humble opinion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #9
Kornmod

 

Never had any problems with AVG until yesterday. My product key runs out next summer so I won't bother replacing AVG until then. Hopefully MSE will be available here in DK by then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #10
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kornmod View Post
Never had any problems with AVG until yesterday. My product key runs out next summer so I won't bother replacing AVG until then. Hopefully MSE will be available here in DK by then.

How come MSE is not availyble in DK ?? Is that another issue with the EU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Permission issues




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Permission issues after trying to install a game
When What Why: Ok today few hours ago I was bored was looking into some mmorpg games that I could play and it all took me to Lord of the rings online site. Downloaded their installer which pops up after registration at their site. Now hell begins! I started the installer exe and it asked me...
General Discussion
security permission issues with windows 7
Hello everyone, I have dell vostro 2520 laptop with intel i3 3rd gen processor and i got a serious and annoying problem i have windows 7 proff. In my laptop and using it since last year but so for securing my contents i used to set security permissions on my both 120gb hard drives parent folder...
General Discussion
Permission Issues After Reformatting
Hello, I've recently reformatted my machine from windows 7 ultimate, no upgrade or downgrade, just straight format so i could have a clean image to backup to my external drive. I have a partition that holds all of my music, videos, etc. (My D: drive) In my D drive some files and folders...
Performance & Maintenance
possible to entirely remove all permission issues?
One thingthats just killing me with W7 is the rights issues. I supposedly have full admin rights and this is my home PC and the only other account is guest. I have run that reg file that gives you the take control option on the right click menu. But there is just no end to prompts telling me i...
General Discussion
Regedit Permission Issues!!
I've followed all kinds of tutorials so that I can edit a registry key, but no matter what I do, i get the following message when I edit it! "Cannot edit ProStat: Error writing the value's new contents." Please explain to me how we can get full permissions as Administrator (Yes, I am...
Hardware & Devices
Permission issues
Hey! I have not had any permission issues with windows7 until today i logged on and saw http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00623/4986280.jpg I thought "eh, what the hell. I just reinstall it" but soon I realized I could not uninstall avast. Then I went to control panel and user accounts to see if I...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App