Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Flash drive suddenly shows as unformatted on win 7

27 Dec 2009   #1
fields999

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 
Flash drive suddenly shows as unformatted on win 7

hi,

Basically, i want to transfer my music collection to my usb drive, but when i do so it transfers about 70% and then it says "could not find this item - this item is no longer located in...." it says that the item is not longer located on my usb... but i was trying to transfer it from my pc to my usb so it should be put on there. It says this for like 380 items which is the rest of the data i wanted to transfer.

I wondered why it said it was no longer located on my usb, then when i looked on my computer, it shows my usb (and other flash drives on my computer) as unformatted, it just says there FAT32 format and when i click on it, they show as empty, even though i know thers alot of things on there.

Basically to fix this i have to restart my pc and then its all fine again, my flash drives show up fine and they are formatted and the files on them can be accessed.

But not all the music is on my flash drive so i have to transfer the rest over again like i did before, this time it transfers some and then has the same problem and i have to restart. Eventually i can get all the music on my usb after restarting a few more times.

My question is... why is this happening? ive no idea why but my flash drives just show up as unformatted half way through. There must be a way to stop this or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

_adam


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2009   #2
ZeshanA

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fields999 View Post
hi,

Basically, i want to transfer my music collection to my usb drive, but when i do so it transfers about 70% and then it says "could not find this item - this item is no longer located in...." it says that the item is not longer located on my usb... but i was trying to transfer it from my pc to my usb so it should be put on there. It says this for like 380 items which is the rest of the data i wanted to transfer.

I wondered why it said it was no longer located on my usb, then when i looked on my computer, it shows my usb (and other flash drives on my computer) as unformatted, it just says there FAT32 format and when i click on it, they show as empty, even though i know thers alot of things on there.

Basically to fix this i have to restart my pc and then its all fine again, my flash drives show up fine and they are formatted and the files on them can be accessed.

But not all the music is on my flash drive so i have to transfer the rest over again like i did before, this time it transfers some and then has the same problem and i have to restart. Eventually i can get all the music on my usb after restarting a few more times.

My question is... why is this happening? ive no idea why but my flash drives just show up as unformatted half way through. There must be a way to stop this or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

_adam
Hi Adam, welcome to SevenForums! Try backing up your USB to your hard
drive and then going to Disk Management (Write Disk Management into Start and press enter). Select your USB Drive and right-click it. Choose Format. Format it as NTFS.

This should fix it.

ZeshanA
If I helped, click the scales at the top right of my post and click I Approve.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2009   #3
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Not sure, but there is two things that I would check, first that in the BIOS that the USB is set to maximum speed, rather than high speed, and in the Advanced Power Settings, that the USB Selective Suspend Setting is disabled. If these don't work, then I will defer to someone with a greater understanding of this than myself.

EDIT: I don't know about your system but on mine, The front USB ports on the case are only USB 1.0 and the ports on the back of the case are 2.0. Since the back ports are not convenient for using a flash drive, I have a USB hub plugged in there, which sits on my desk, so that I can get better performance from items.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Dec 2009   #4
fields999

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

i dont think i can format it though because its a phone and i would lose the os, im just transfering music to it on mass storage mode, it came as fat32.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2009   #5
ZeshanA

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fields999 View Post
i dont think i can format it though because its a phone and i would lose the os, im just transfering music to it on mass storage mode, it came as fat32.
Oh right, you should've mentioned that in the first post. I would try what SeekerMeister Suggested about changing some settings in the BIOS (When your computer boots up press F12 or F2)

ZeshanA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2009   #6
fields999

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

i just dont understand why it suddenly shows as unformatted half way through a large file transfer from my pc to the device. Its not like files are corrupt or the memory is, because i can play all the songs on the device and i can access them fine, the only problem is when im transferring them
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2009   #7
fields999

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

ok il check the bios thing and get back to you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2009   #8
ZeshanA

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fields999 View Post
i just dont understand why it suddenly shows as unformatted half way through a large file transfer from my pc to the device. Its not like files are corrupt or the memory is, because i can play all the songs on the device and i can access them fine, the only problem is when im transferring them
It may be that they are corrupted. Try opening a Command Prompt (Write CMD into Start), entering the Drive Letter for your phone (D:, E:, F:, Z: whatever letter it is) and press enter. Now write "chkdsk /r" WITHOUT QUOTES and remember the space between chkdsk and /r.

Thanks,
ZeshanA
If I helped , please click the scales at the top right of my post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2009   #9
fields999

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

ok im going to do the cmd chkdisk now to see if that can help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2009   #10
fields999

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
The front USB ports on the case are only USB 1.0 and the ports on the back of the case are 2.0.
Thanks for reminding me, the ports on the back of my pc are 1.0 and the ports on the front of my pc are 2.0. Currently i had the usb wire plugged into the back of my pc, il change it to the front now for my phone so it will increase the speed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Flash drive suddenly shows as unformatted on win 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
usb flash drive shows NO FILES!
hello all, i have a 3.74gb sony usb flash drive formatted as FAT32 that i've been using to move files from one machine to another. i've recently upgraded one of my machines from windows xp to windows 7. now for some reason the windows 7 machine doesn't see anything on the flash drive. i thought...
Hardware & Devices
USB 3.0 pqi flash drive suddenly stopped working on USB 2.0 ports
I have a 32GB USB 3.0 pqi flash drive and it used to work on USB 2.0 ports just fine. I don't know why but it suddenly decided to stop working on USB 2.0 ports (still works on USB 3.0). USB 3.0 port is not faulty. USB 2.0 port is not faulty. How do I get it to work with USB 2.0 again?
Hardware & Devices
Drive suddenly shows not initialized and not allocated
I shouldn't say suddenly. It's a 2TB drive I had in an enclosure that took a bump off a short table the other day. It seemed fine when I tested it and pulled up all the folders. But when I went to move a file off of it, the drive disappeared. It shows up in drive manager as not initialized and not...
Hardware & Devices
Newly formatted secondary harddrive shows 128mb unformatted partition
Folks, I'm running a primary SSD with the W7/64. I installed with ONLY that SSD in the computer. (I've learned.) Then, after a few reboots and updates, I installed a 1tb WD hard drive. It was a new OEM drive. I did a long format, then a chkdsk. After a few reboots (and reading some...
Hardware & Devices
Administrative Event ID 11 Shows After Plugging In USB Flash Drive
Event ID 11 (Warning) = Disk Controller Device = SanDisk Cruzer, 8GB, Formatted FAT32 All USB Ports affected. The device works perfectly. Any ideas on how to eliminate the warning ?
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:20.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App