Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Buying only license illegal?What does Validation needs?

30 Dec 2009   #11
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
My question would be, why did the origional poster buy a retail key and then turn around and sell it to someone else???? No software involved, if it smells like fish it probably is fish.

Smitty
Maybe he didn't need it... Don't be so quick to assume the worst. I stocked up on keys from the student deal, way more than I need. I bought them for $30, now if I sell them for $50, I come out $20 ahead and make a friend because I saved them $50.
Johathan i don't think that's what that program was designed for, so if that's what you are doing it's illegal. It was to help students get the os at a price they could afford, one student email, one copy, one licence, not for buy and sell.

Smitty


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Dec 2009   #12
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
My question would be, why did the origional poster buy a retail key and then turn around and sell it to someone else???? No software involved, if it smells like fish it probably is fish.

Smitty
Maybe he didn't need it... Don't be so quick to assume the worst. I stocked up on keys from the student deal, way more than I need. I bought them for $30, now if I sell them for $50, I come out $20 ahead and make a friend because I saved them $50.
Johathan i don't think that's what that program was designed for, so if that's what you are doing it's illegal. It was to help students get the os at a price they could afford, one student email, one copy, one licence, not for buy and sell.

Smitty
It is not illegal, I got them through legitimate sources. Family, friends, anyone with a .edu email address legally purchased them for me. I read the TOS, I was okay.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #13
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Sorry no offence we just disagree with the purpose of the program.

Smitty
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2009   #14
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Sorry no offence we just disagree with the purpose of the program.

Smitty
I will admit I violated the spirit of the law. I made sure I was legal first, though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #15
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Sorry no offence we just disagree with the purpose of the program.
The purpose of the program is also the interesting part. I'm a little shocked that MS would not include something in the agreement around the $30 EDU copy that precluded people from reselling it or using it if they are not the valid student with the valid e-mail address. I'm sure if you hunted you might find it...but then again I'm sure MS stayed vague and is just gathering whatever revenue they can find. The other program which is often debated as to purpose is Technet and the validity of using a copy of Technet to run an entire home full of PC's for the cost of a single technet subscription.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #16
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #17
Qdos

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Sorry no offence we just disagree with the purpose of the program.

Smitty
I will admit I violated the spirit of the law. I made sure I was legal first, though.
The agreement states:-

Quote:
This promotion is subject to the following terms and conditions and all participants acknowledge and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
And, a few lines subsequently...

Quote:
Microsoft or Digital River may contact you to verify that you are a current student. If documentation is not provided indicating that you are a current student, you will be liable to reimburse Microsoft for the difference between what you paid and the estimated retail price of the software.
In this sense the bearer is the participant, therefore the EULA has been broken and Microsoft would be fully entitled to take a dim view of the matter...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #18
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Sorry no offence we just disagree with the purpose of the program.

Smitty
I will admit I violated the spirit of the law. I made sure I was legal first, though.
The agreement states:-

Quote:
This promotion is subject to the following terms and conditions and all participants acknowledge and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
And, a few lines subsequently...

Quote:
Microsoft or Digital River may contact you to verify that you are a current student. If documentation is not provided indicating that you are a current student, you will be liable to reimburse Microsoft for the difference between what you paid and the estimated retail price of the software.
In this sense the bearer is the participant, therefore the EULA has been broken and Microsoft would be fully entitled to take a dim view of the matter...
I did not purchase the software. The terms apply to the sale, not thee software. Once my sisters had the software, they could do whatever they wanted with it, as long as it complies with the software TOS. In this case, I am now bound by the Windows Eula.

Hope this makes sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #19
Qdos

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Hope this makes sense.
I don't think a lawyer would agree with you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #20
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Hope this makes sense.
I don't think a lawyer would agree with you
Let's just remember to keep this friendly. Not that we've started, but just want to remind everyone. This is a good debate!

I actually bought one copy myself. My sister had problems, so she gave me her account info (credit card number, email address, etc). I called MS myself and explained the situation, and they actually sent her a key, even though I was very clear I was ordering on her behalf.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Buying only license illegal?What does Validation needs?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
illegal usage.
Hi everyone. I have an interloper piggybacking my router. How do I remove them! I was looking in the client list of my Belkin router(F5D7230-4) and found another person using my network. The person has an Iphone. How do delete this person from using my network? Any suggestions will be...
Network & Sharing
Is it Illegal To...
Download Software from a Torrent Site, If you have purchased the Full Product But Broke the Cd/dvd for the installation? Not Saying i have i was just wondering :D
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App