Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Snow Leopord VS Win 7 Ultimate

View Poll Results: MAC or PC
Mac OSX 6 10.91%
Windows 7 49 89.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

31 Dec 2009   #11
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

My personal View of Mac Pro with Snow Leopard compared to a High End PC with Windows 7.

The "Machine":

A PC that's similarly spec-ed as a mac pro, it would cost A LOT MORE than if you buy the Mac Pro, plus you don't get the precision cut, well thought out, zoned air flow, aluminum casing with temp controlled fans (buying a custom built case like that will cost much more than a regular spec-ed computer). Not to mention, you got the dual Xeon board with Xeon processor and it's memory on a daughter card (a similarly motherboard for a HP/IBM server cost a lot more than the Mac Pro), so no more headache when adding memory.

Since Mac Pro + EFI + Snow Leopard works in conjunction, it's by far the "smoothest" package available (outside a Power6 Workstation from IBM, if you're crazy enough to use such machine). The EFI will take care of pre-boot environment, drivers, memory maps, etc. When a Mac Pro boots, it boots straight up to the OS, no more boot loader bull s*ht, setting boot parameters, or detecting devices, or whatever. Major drivers for the hardware are embedded on the EFI it self. So no more IRQ conflicts, no more slow downs because improper BIOS settings, etc... Although, for those ease of use, you will miss some of the customization ability you had in the prehistoric BIOS. Even if you use BootCamp to install Windows on a Mac Pro, the BootCamp program "installs" a driver in the EFI so that Windows will see the EFI as BIOS based computer, which is somewhat an irony... it must dumb down it self to be compatible with the "smartest" of all Windows...

The Software Package:

The OS, Snow Leopard... is it much better than Windows 7? Some of it features are, some aren't. Let's dive in to some...

GPGPU

Windows 7 have "Direct Compute", parts of DirectX Library for those who want to harness the power of GPGPU. It's integrated into the gaming/multimedia part of the OS (make sense for a game developer, not so much for an business/whatever application developer). The application MUST detect if an OpenCL device is available or not to be able to use it. On the other hand, Apple have a new Grand Central Dispatch, it's a new scheduler for SL that will dispatch instructions to whatever computing device available. If a program that is properly uses GCD dispatched an instruction to use an OpenCL device, the GCD will then search for a compatible device in the system. If none found, it will use the CPU to process the instructions. Different ways to accomplish same problem.

Search

Since Windows 2000, Microsoft relies on "Indexing Service" to index any volume with any content. From a humble Indexing Service, Microsoft enhanced it to the stage it's good enough to be a new product, "Windows Search". To be honest, I personally not fond of the performance of Windows Search, I have no idea where the "Indexing Service" layer works, but most of the time, it search executions are horrendously SLOW, even if I already use the proper search query (I even have to resort to the magical windows search query syntax to get a little to none speed boost, an example to search files with .php as it's extension: "name:*.php", still slow) in a folder with few hundreds of mixed files. On the other hand, SL's spotlight works at the File System level, so whenever you write or read or modify anything in any volume, Spotlight will always have the latest update of your files, not to mention it's query speed is "Speed Demon" compared to "Snail slow" Indexing Service. In Windows search, you MUST define which volume/folder you want to index, which is somewhat dumb to begin with. In SL, you don't get such option because it by default indexes everything. If I own the computer, of course I need to find EVERYTHING in it, not just the "Data" volume, or "Work" volume, I need all... and the way Microsoft tacked Windows Search, it's embarrassingly idiotic... just to get that bottom left search box to compete with Spotlight's top right search box... jeez.

System Response

Since SL, Apple has changed it's way of handling UI. In SL, the OS is if ever, the most responsive UI EVER in the history of Personal Computing. Compare that to Windows 7, whenever you access a folder/program/whatever that invokes UAC, your HDD will grind, your mouse will work smoothly, but whatever you clicked just now shows as if nothing is clicked... until the screen dimmed... Right click "My Computer" to get to "Computer Management", it will take some time to show the dimmed notification (not that long, but compared to SL's Username/Password dialog box, it's day and night). Click the "Device Manager" in "Control Panel", it will behave similarly. So, system response is where Windows 7 is lacking...

Since we all in Windows 7 Forums, we already know what Windows 7 can do brilliantly, so I don't think I need to write them here. In some cases, SL is way ahead of Windows 7. As a package, the Mac Pro undeniably is a better package for the money (assuming you spend the same amount of money to get similarly spec-ed machine), but that's just me

Cheers,

zzz2496


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 Dec 2009   #12
devenprasad

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
My personal View of Mac Pro with Snow Leopard compared to a High End PC with Windows 7.

The "Machine":

A PC that's similarly spec-ed as a mac pro, it would cost A LOT MORE than if you buy the Mac Pro, plus you don't get the precision cut, well thought out, zoned air flow, aluminum casing with temp controlled fans (buying a custom built case like that will cost much more than a regular spec-ed computer). Not to mention, you got the dual Xeon board with Xeon processor and it's memory on a daughter card (a similarly motherboard for a HP/IBM server cost a lot more than the Mac Pro), so no more headache when adding memory.

Since Mac Pro + EFI + Snow Leopard works in conjunction, it's by far the "smoothest" package available (outside a Power6 Workstation from IBM, if you're crazy enough to use such machine). The EFI will take care of pre-boot environment, drivers, memory maps, etc. When a Mac Pro boots, it boots straight up to the OS, no more boot loader bull s*ht, setting boot parameters, or detecting devices, or whatever. Major drivers for the hardware are embedded on the EFI it self. So no more IRQ conflicts, no more slow downs because improper BIOS settings, etc... Although, for those ease of use, you will miss some of the customization ability you had in the prehistoric BIOS. Even if you use BootCamp to install Windows on a Mac Pro, the BootCamp program "installs" a driver in the EFI so that Windows will see the EFI as BIOS based computer, which is somewhat an irony... it must dumb down it self to be compatible with the "smartest" of all Windows...

The Software Package:

The OS, Snow Leopard... is it much better than Windows 7? Some of it features are, some aren't. Let's dive in to some...

GPGPU

Windows 7 have "Direct Compute", parts of DirectX Library for those who want to harness the power of GPGPU. It's integrated into the gaming/multimedia part of the OS (make sense for a game developer, not so much for an business/whatever application developer). The application MUST detect if an OpenCL device is available or not to be able to use it. On the other hand, Apple have a new Grand Central Dispatch, it's a new scheduler for SL that will dispatch instructions to whatever computing device available. If a program that is properly uses GCD dispatched an instruction to use an OpenCL device, the GCD will then search for a compatible device in the system. If none found, it will use the CPU to process the instructions. Different ways to accomplish same problem.

Search

Since Windows 2000, Microsoft relies on "Indexing Service" to index any volume with any content. From a humble Indexing Service, Microsoft enhanced it to the stage it's good enough to be a new product, "Windows Search". To be honest, I personally not fond of the performance of Windows Search, I have no idea where the "Indexing Service" layer works, but most of the time, it search executions are horrendously SLOW, even if I already use the proper search query (I even have to resort to the magical windows search query syntax to get a little to none speed boost, an example to search files with .php as it's extension: "name:*.php", still slow) in a folder with few hundreds of mixed files. On the other hand, SL's spotlight works at the File System level, so whenever you write or read or modify anything in any volume, Spotlight will always have the latest update of your files, not to mention it's query speed is "Speed Demon" compared to "Snail slow" Indexing Service. In Windows search, you MUST define which volume/folder you want to index, which is somewhat dumb to begin with. In SL, you don't get such option because it by default indexes everything. If I own the computer, of course I need to find EVERYTHING in it, not just the "Data" volume, or "Work" volume, I need all... and the way Microsoft tacked Windows Search, it's embarrassingly idiotic... just to get that bottom left search box to compete with Spotlight's top right search box... jeez.

System Response

Since SL, Apple has changed it's way of handling UI. In SL, the OS is if ever, the most responsive UI EVER in the history of Personal Computing. Compare that to Windows 7, whenever you access a folder/program/whatever that invokes UAC, your HDD will grind, your mouse will work smoothly, but whatever you clicked just now shows as if nothing is clicked... until the screen dimmed... Right click "My Computer" to get to "Computer Management", it will take some time to show the dimmed notification (not that long, but compared to SL's Username/Password dialog box, it's day and night). Click the "Device Manager" in "Control Panel", it will behave similarly. So, system response is where Windows 7 is lacking...

Since we all in Windows 7 Forums, we already know what Windows 7 can do brilliantly, so I don't think I need to write them here. In some cases, SL is way ahead of Windows 7. As a package, the Mac Pro undeniably is a better package for the money (assuming you spend the same amount of money to get similarly spec-ed machine), but that's just me

Cheers,

zzz2496
Thanks for all the info! have some rep!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2009   #13
devenprasad

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noob View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by devenprasad View Post
wow mac there is expensive!
Aren't they everywhere?
lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Dec 2009   #14
Capt.Jack Sparrow

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

I don't think here in Seven Forum you would have lot of Apple fans
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2009   #15
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
I wont vote. I'd rather have a PC with Snow Leopard (hackintosh) and Windows 7 Ult... oh wait XD

I'm rather neutral in this now, after trying and using Snow Leopard I found it fairly good. Of course both Windows 7 and OS X have their ups and downs. I still find myself popping on Snow Leopard often.
Alas! Hackintosh is still a midsummer nights dream to me. I think mac is too costly, so i use win 7 home premium. Its good enough, I cant say anything against it. still i deserve a mac. Tried to install leopard many times, but always got a kernel panic. Nowadays I believe (only due to my consistent failures) that it is impossible to me to have a hackintosh. can u please support me?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2009   #16
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
I wont vote. I'd rather have a PC with Snow Leopard (hackintosh) and Windows 7 Ult... oh wait XD

I'm rather neutral in this now, after trying and using Snow Leopard I found it fairly good. Of course both Windows 7 and OS X have their ups and downs. I still find myself popping on Snow Leopard often.
Alas! Hackintosh is still a midsummer nights dream to me. I think mac is too costly, so i use win 7 home premium. Its good enough, I cant say anything against it. still i deserve a mac. Tried to install leopard many times, but always got a kernel panic. Nowadays I believe (only due to my consistent failures) that it is impossible to me to have a hackintosh. can u please support me?
Support you? Not in public.

On an unrelated note, why don't you PM me any questions you may have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2009   #17
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
I don't think here in Seven Forum you would have lot of Apple fans
Know why? Apples are sweeter than windows to eat .
Although i never tested an window at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2009   #18
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

I have noticed that people who own Apple products are stuck up and they reckon they have the fastest, latest technology.
They must be doing to think that. Mac's are way too overpriced, they trick customers into paying more because it's the latest and greatest product (Apparantly ). Can't build your own Mac eh, can you .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2010   #19
devenprasad

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by domii123 View Post
I have noticed that people who own Apple products are stuck up and they reckon they have the fastest, latest technology.
They must be doing to think that. Mac's are way too overpriced, they trick customers into paying more because it's the latest and greatest product (Apparantly ). Can't build your own Mac eh, can you .
Yes, you can aka. a hackintosh thats against the law sorta
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2010   #20
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by devenprasad View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by domii123 View Post
I have noticed that people who own Apple products are stuck up and they reckon they have the fastest, latest technology.
They must be doing to think that. Mac's are way too overpriced, they trick customers into paying more because it's the latest and greatest product (Apparantly ). Can't build your own Mac eh, can you .
Yes, you can aka. a hackintosh thats against the law sorta
Hey I make it publicly known what I run on my PC. Until the cops come to my door saying I'm arrested for illegal use of OS X. I'll do what I like with it! They can't say I stole it either since my sister gave me her copy of Snow Leopard. So I legally own it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Snow Leopord VS Win 7 Ultimate




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Ever seen snow?
Have you really? :) Snowflakes Under an Electron Microscope | Wired Science | Wired.com A Guy
Chillout Room
Snow for desktop
Hello,please anyone knows program for snow to fall on your desktop in seven? Thanks :)
Customization
Installation of Snow Leopard and Triple Boot(Windows + Windows + Snow)
I hope this question has a place in windows 7 forums; if not, forgive me. I have a ASUS G72 with Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz. I have one HDD and 4 partitions in it(c is windows 7 home premium x64, d is windows 7 ultimate x64, e is empty and i am planning to install snow leopard on e and f...
Installation & Setup
Another Two Feet Of Snow In NY
Sorry could'nt resist
Chillout Room
SNOW
Ha ha so much snow in UK, really haven't seen this much snow for ages. Will upload pics soon.
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App