Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Annoying window on start up

04 Jan 2010   #1
eagle223

Win 7
 
 
Annoying window on start up

I have win 7 running on an ASUS motherboard. After I installed Win 7, I installed a couple of ASUS applets.
A few days later while cleaning up, the Temp files were deleted. Now, every time I start up, as soon as I get to the desktop screen, I get a little popup window warning that a file in the Temp is lost (directory structure is included). I searched the registry (using keywords from the popup window, startup and msconfig. I find no reference to the file. Everything works fine, just annoying.
I uninstalled the applets, no change, reinstalled them, no change.
I hate to have to reinstall Win7 now that it works as I like it.
Is there another area where I can check to find what causes the popup warning?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jan 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

With a problem like this system restore is your best bet. The problem only happened a few days ago. You can use system restore and it will bring you back to where you were before the problem occured. Just go into search type system restore and you can go back to a point in time of your choice. There is also a link that will allow you to find out before hand which programs will be affected. If you are not happy with the results you can bring it back to the point prior to the restore. Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2010   #3
eagle223

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Use system restore
Too late for that, I waited too long before I decided to do something, that restore point is long gone.
The file information is not in the registry. Is there another place Win7 could hold that information?
Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Jan 2010   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Go to the start menu type cmd

In the cmd prompt, from an administrators account, type sfc /scannow. That might bring you back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2010   #5
eagle223

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Go to the start menu type cmd

In the cmd prompt type sfc /scannow. That might bring you back.
Hadn't used sfc for at least a decade. I have to try it when I get home, where the problem is. I tried it on the laptop and found out that it will not run from the start button, it takes an elevated cmd prompt with Admin privileges. I'll let you know how it turns out, thanks a lot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2010   #6
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Thank you for the report, if sfc does not work, I can give you another tip. I am sure others here have a lot more. This is a small problem, we will get it to work so you can have a Happy New Year and just enjoy Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2010   #7
Billy

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eagle223 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Go to the start menu type cmd

In the cmd prompt type sfc /scannow. That might bring you back.
Hadn't used sfc for at least a decade. I have to try it when I get home, where the problem is. I tried it on the laptop and found out that it will not run from the start button, it takes an elevated cmd prompt with Admin privileges. I'll let you know how it turns out, thanks a lot.
When using the search bar in the start menu, type in CMD then hit CTRL+Shift+Enter to enter run as admin quickly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2010   #8
eagle223

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Thank you for the report, if sfc does not work, I can give you another tip. I am sure others here have a lot more. This is a small problem, we will get it to work so you can have a Happy New Year and just enjoy Windows 7.
I installed Windows 7 soon after it came out. I deleted the Temp files after I had installed all my applications and I was too busy to do something then. I was sure I can fix it by deleting a registry entry. The truth is I can live with it, it just bugs me. I even changed the location of TMP and TEMP hoping it will affect the warning, it didn't.
Happy New Year to you, thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2010   #9
IggyAZ

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eagle223 View Post
I have win 7 running on an ASUS motherboard. After I installed Win 7, I installed a couple of ASUS applets.
A few days later while cleaning up, the Temp files were deleted. Now, every time I start up, as soon as I get to the desktop screen, I get a little popup window warning that a file in the Temp is lost (directory structure is included). I searched the registry (using keywords from the popup window, startup and msconfig. I find no reference to the file. Everything works fine, just annoying.
I uninstalled the applets, no change, reinstalled them, no change.
I hate to have to reinstall Win7 now that it works as I like it.
Is there another area where I can check to find what causes the popup warning?

Bite the bullet. Remove any documents you don't have backedup and reinstall Win7.

My 2 cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2010   #10
gregrocker

 

Try sfc /scannow as Rich suggests. Use the Run box or type CMD in search box as given.

If that fails, run a Repair Install

These are always the final two steps before Clean Reinstall.

Repair install is actually an Upgrade install which keeps everything in place and reinstalls the OS. But corruption can return via imported settings. Worth a try, though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Annoying window on start up




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Window 7 Start-Up Repair completes but window fails to boot.
After rebooting my system, it recommended that i do a start up repair. After the repair completed i recieved the black screen right before choosing USER , so i tried 3x more to repair which each completed but same outcome till the point it just says cant repair automatically . Then i tried to...
General Discussion
Dell Datasafe annoying upgrade window
Every so often I get this popup window on my laptop (Dell Studio 15). How do I prevent its appearance (without upgrading!)? Thanks.
Backup and Restore
annoying explorer.exe crash loop upon system start-up
Similar thread was posted before, but due to some reason got deleted hence posting again, as I have serious technical issue which needs your attention ------------------------------------------------------------------- Explorer.exe crashes and reappear repeatedly again and again upon windows...
BSOD Help and Support
How to disbale the annoying Welcome to Window Screen
How does one disable the annoying welcome screen? I am not referring to the one associated with a user/password log-on ; I've seen a few post directing users to the tutorial on password removals., Rather, I am referring to the attached. It comes up every time I restart. In every other...
Installation & Setup
Annoying prompt window
Hello. When I try to open up programs like Defraggler, Malwarebytes, Spybot or Revo Uninstaller that prompt on the pic bugs me. Even after I give all permissions from security tab it still comes. Is there a way to disable it except turning off user account control completely?
General Discussion
window search, annoying, please help!
please help me out here and I am at the border of my limits. just when i thought i had everything i need figured out, more stuff comes in and pisses me off. I have looked everywhere, google, this forum, other forums, no help. Please don't give me an answer with bunch of links and tell me to see...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:32.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App