Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: License query

21 Jan 2010   #1
moey

win 7 ultimate 32bit
 
 
License query

Ive searched around regarding licenses but i dont get it,

here's the problem, i bought windows 7 ultimate full version and installed on home pc. few months later i installed it on my laptop not knowing you need to go through licenses etc as i only ever used xp on multiple pc's and thought they had the same old rule 12 installs a year.

Now when i try to activate my laptop it is saying that this key is already activated or something and i can buy another license online etc and some other options.

My worry is, can i buy another license and activate the same install or do i have to buy a whole new windows 7 ultimate and reformat and reactivate with a fresh copy?

I have already loaded everything onto my laptop, now i cant be bothered formatting/or re installing windows 7 anyway and going thru all that crap again just to activate..

Can this be activated just as simple as buying a license without a whole new windows 7 ultimate, what are my options??

regards

Moe


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jan 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moey View Post
Ive searched around regarding licenses but i dont get it,

here's the problem, i bought windows 7 ultimate full version and installed on home pc. few months later i installed it on my laptop not knowing you need to go through licenses etc as i only ever used xp on multiple pc's and thought they had the same old rule 12 installs a year.

Now when i try to activate my laptop it is saying that this key is already activated or something and i can buy another license online etc and some other options.

My worry is, can i buy another license and activate the same install or do i have to buy a whole new windows 7 ultimate and reformat and reactivate with a fresh copy?

I have already loaded everything onto my laptop, now i cant be bothered formatting/or re installing windows 7 anyway and going thru all that crap again just to activate..

Can this be activated just as simple as buying a license without a whole new windows 7 ultimate, what are my options??

regards

Moe
Just buy an ultimate DVD with license and use that number, you will be all set.

If you know of a way to buy a legit license without the DVD, that will work, also.

Bottom line, you just need a valid license.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #3
moey

win 7 ultimate 32bit
 
 

Is there a way to buy a license without the dvd?

If i was to buy the Home premium 3 license family pack that is out on offer can i use those licenses on the ultimate i have installed to activate it?? Is that do-able?

Or does it have to be off a Ultimate version?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jan 2010   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

If you have ulitmate installed and you want to keep Ultimate, you must get the ultimate license.

When you buy the license and the DVD, you are bascially paying for the license. What is the cost of the DVD, just nomina
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #5
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moey View Post
i only ever used xp on multiple pc's and thought they had the same old rule 12 installs a year.
That was never the case, to be honest. The only XP license allowed to be installed on multiple systems was a volume license, which you would only have if your computers were owned by a large company. Aside from the VLK, one license was for one computer at a time.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moey View Post
Can this be activated just as simple as buying a license without a whole new windows 7 ultimate, what are my options??
If you buy a license for Windows 7 Ultimate, through any legit source, you only need to pop your key into the existing install. You could even buy one from eBay, and ask the seller to e-mail you the license key, if you wanted it right away.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #6
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
If you buy a license for Windows 7 Ultimate, through any legit source, you only need to pop your key into the existing install. You could even buy one from eBay, and ask the seller to e-mail you the license key, if you wanted it right away.
This is a simple route, however, be careful to buy a legitimate license, don't fall for something extremely cheap. If someone sells that license for 5 bucks, chances are, you won't be able to use it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #7
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I should have mentioned that. Ask if they would scan and e-mail the COA sticker to you upon payment. This way, you can use the key immediately, and in the mail you'll get your proof of validity. If it doesn't come with a COA, don't buy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #8
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
If you buy a license for Windows 7 Ultimate, through any legit source, you only need to pop your key into the existing install. You could even buy one from eBay, and ask the seller to e-mail you the license key, if you wanted it right away.
This is a simple route, however, be careful to buy a legitimate license, don't fall for something extremely cheap. If someone sells that license for 5 bucks, chances are, you won't be able to use it.
Deacon and Uni, good advice. Everyone looking for a bargain should remember, If it seems to good to be true it probalby is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #9
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

You could always try purchasing on-line through MS.
I think they offer a way of doing that after installing if you don't already have a license.
I don't know for sure, but you could check when you go to activate, does it give you an option to purchase through MS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #10
HerrKaLeun

W7 Pro 64
 
 

you need to buy the license for the exact same version (ultimate for ultimate etc.). It doesn't matter if it is 64 or 32 bit (since the is the same price)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 License query




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Yet another RAM query
Have a Vista machine here and it has 2x1Gb PC2-5300 DDR2 @667MHz in it and running very slowly. I have a 2GB stick of PC2-6400 @800MHz spare and wondering if it's ok to put it in with the PC 5300? I know it will probably drop the speed back to 667 but am just trying to get a bit more RAM...
Hardware & Devices
VPN Query
Hi folks, Can anyone tell me if it's possible for multiple users to edit & save an excel spreadsheets over a VPN conection. I have enabled sharing of the sheet but the data does not merge, the ammendments remain unique to the individual users machines. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 license query
Hi all, I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit on my Toshiba laptop from Windows 7 DVD. The DVD provided licenses for 3 machines. Installing Windows 7 on my laptop left me with 2 licenses. I want to uninstall and reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop. Can I reinstall it from the same DVD...
Windows Updates & Activation
A query
does java jdk will be installed on windows7ultimate which has 32-bit has operating system
Software
Query
:D hi every body, I Have windows 7 ultimate running on 1.5 gb ram,320 gb(4 partitions) westerndigitals HDD(on INTEL D915GAV motherboard). Its been a month i installed win7 ultimate.I hadnt installed anything on C: drive which is of 60gb capacity.But the free space is decreasing day after...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App