Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop goes to Sleep mode -after W7 upgrade

26 Jan 2010   #1
GenesisJacks

windows7
 
 
Laptop goes to Sleep mode -after W7 upgrade

*My Laptop goes into Hybernate/sleep mode and will not wake up. I have to hold the power button till it powers down and then turn it on again. This can't be good for the computer. I have tried changing the sleep settings with no luck. I also have gone into "Edit Plan Settings" and clicked on "Restore default settings for this plan" as well as every other plan.

I just updated my laptop to 7 from vista 2 days ago. (today is 1/26/10)

*Also norton refuses to open up, I talked to a tech via chat message and did a remote session and it started to work last night-but this morning when I came in to turn on the laptop, and tried Norton it refuses to open again. It also has a notice saying I need to update it, when I go through the updat process it says it is up to date.


I dont know all the specs on my computer, but if you tell me how to get the specs I will post them.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop M505-4945, it came with Vista when I purchased it then I got windows 7 in the mail as a free upgrade.

I'm no computer Tech, but I am a fast learner.

HELP

Genesis


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Jan 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Welcome to the Forum, Genesis

I found this for a start:

Annoyances-Resolved: SOLVED: Windows Vista Sleep Problem, Laptop Not Waking Up
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #3
GenesisJacks

windows7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Welcome to the Forum, Genesis

I found this for a start:

Annoyances-Resolved: SOLVED: Windows Vista Sleep Problem, Laptop Not Waking Up
Is it the same as Windows 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jan 2010   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

It should be the same. Vista and 7 are the same "under the hood". 7 has more features.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #5
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GenesisJacks View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Welcome to the Forum, Genesis

I found this for a start:

Annoyances-Resolved: SOLVED: Windows Vista Sleep Problem, Laptop Not Waking Up
Is it the same as Windows 7?
Did you upgrade 7 or clean install? If you upgraded, do a fresh, clean format and start again. The upgrade option is sloppy and shouldn't exist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #6
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GenesisJacks View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Welcome to the Forum, Genesis

I found this for a start:

Annoyances-Resolved: SOLVED: Windows Vista Sleep Problem, Laptop Not Waking Up
Is it the same as Windows 7?
Did you upgrade 7 or clean install? If you upgraded, do a fresh, clean format and start again. The upgrade option is sloppy and shouldn't exist.
Based upon your question I did not think of that problem, but that would be your very first option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #7
GenesisJacks

windows7
 
 

I did an upgrade.

Only because I have a built in Gobi card that wouldn't work when I tried to do a clean install (the end of Dec)-the level 2 tech from Toshiba couldn't get it to work through a remote session.

How can I do a clean install and get the Gobi card to work?

Any suggestions on the Norton?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #8
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GenesisJacks View Post
I did an upgrade.

Only because I have a built in Gobi card that wouldn't work when I tried to do a clean install (the end of Dec)-the level 2 tech from Toshiba couldn't get it to work through a remote session.

How can I do a clean install and get the Gobi card to work?

Any suggestions on the Norton?
Can you list the model of the card, and which edition/version of Norton is it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #9
GenesisJacks

windows7
 
 

When you say model of the card...what do you mean? How do I find the model of the card?

For the Norton its 360.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #10
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GenesisJacks View Post
When you say model of the card...what do you mean? How do I find the model of the card?

For the Norton its 360.
In Norton 360, in PC Tuneup, run the Diagnostic Report and then upload that in a .zip file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop goes to Sleep mode -after W7 upgrade




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop freezes between entering sleep mode to being in sleep mode
hai.. help needed.... i am having the exact problem as op.. when i press sleep button, screen goes black (as usual).. but fan, and other keyboard lights are still on... it just freezes... i have to force shutdown to again use my laptop... i am attaching the msinfo32.nfo, driverview.txt... ...
General Discussion
Laptop freezes between entering sleep mode to being in sleep mode
Hi, I've had this problem intermittently on my laptop for the past 2 years however it has been occuring more often recently. Basically sometimes when I click the sleep button on Windows 7, the screen fades to black as usual. However the fan keeps running (sounds like when it's on full load) and...
General Discussion
Laptop won't go into sleep mode
I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB32FM Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I thought all of my problems were gone, but whenever I try put the computer into sleep mode with any button (the power button or from the start circle), it just turns black and won't go into sleep mode. The power button stays green...
Hardware & Devices
BSOD when laptop is put into sleep mode
I have a Dell Studio 17 laptop running Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit It was an upgrade from Microsoft as an OEM product to replace the original Dell Vista OEM OS The laptop is 3 years old. Whenever the system is pout into sleep or hibernation, or when the lid id closed, it does not enter...
BSOD Help and Support
Laptop goes into Sleep mode, not Hibernate
I had a problem with my laptop trying to recover from hibernate mode ("Your computer can't come out of hibernation. Status 0xc000009a") and on researching the issue I decided the hiberfil.sys file was probably corrupted. So I used command prompt and typed "powercfg -h off" then did a disk...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App