Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: My Issues with Windows 7

06 Feb 2010   #91
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
One thing to remember about the UI design for win7 is that it is built to support multi-touch. Because of this, the icons and spacings have increased to make this possible, this is. as I understand. it the reason for the change in the system tray behaviour and other things.

Yes I agree that it would be nice for everything from previous Windows versions to be available as an option for those that use it, but I realise and accept that this is not practical. Microsoft did extensive testing of what was actually used across the whole user base and have retained the functionality that will be used by the majority of users.

If all the possible things used by every possible user would use is retained then you would need a 200GB drive for the OS alone, and as, bloat was one of the many things slated with Vista I can understand why Microsoft had to make the decisions they did.

If a missing functionality or it's implementation is a major issue for a user they have three options
  1. Swallow their dislike and learn to use the new system
  2. Find a 3rd party solution to the issue
  3. Return to, or stay with, their previous operating system
Windows 7 is not perfect, no system that is designed to meet the needs of so many people, with different needs could ever be, but comparing it with XP or Vista at the same stage of development I personally believe that it deserves the praise it has received.
+1 After 9 pages you i hope put it to rest


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Feb 2010   #92
BunBun

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Again to lazy to quote.

Boot times its important to myself then others. Some may not mind that there computer takes a minute to boot up where as anything substantially longer then 30 seconds and I am going to prefer sleep over shutting down which restarting is preferable to sleeping. So yes I prefer sub 30 second start up times so that I dont have to rely on sleep. Yes I know I can get this down with a SSD drive (and I do intend on buying one soon) but I shouldn't have to in order to get acceptable boot times considering how much faster HDD's are now and I would rather of SSD's improve my boot times beyond that of what XP was instead of giving me the same user experience.

I guess overall my point is in order to maintain the same level of user experience in terms of speed and productivity constant hardware upgrades is necessary and I already upgrade my computer way more then the general user base so being that I am already experience this then how is everyone else? Better hardware should increase the user experience not maintain it.

I don't agree with dropping the ability to make it look like classic windows. Well I agree and I don't. There has to be a line drawn somewhere but they drew the line way to near.

Also if that is true about the multi touch thing then once again I am having my desktop experience dictated by a bunch of stupid media/entertainment crap. No one doing anything for productivity purposes uses a touchpad. Now I know exactly what i am going straight to microsoft with.

1. An option to customize the OS with one click without multi touch provisions in spacing.
2. More customizability in dialog/notification boxes and status bars as well as many other general UI elements (see classic shell)
3. More options to how the notification area is displayed, specifically an option to restore the way they were shown to the left vs a new window and a way to specifiy there order.

Anyone know of any good tweaking guides for Windows 7 to help cut down on its bulk of useless features? I have already gone through task scheduler and the turn off windows features thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2010   #93
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
One thing to remember about the UI design for win7 is that it is built to support multi-touch. Because of this, the icons and spacings have increased to make this possible, this is. as I understand. it the reason for the change in the system tray behaviour and other things.

Yes I agree that it would be nice for everything from previous Windows versions to be available as an option for those that use it, but I realise and accept that this is not practical. Microsoft did extensive testing of what was actually used across the whole user base and have retained the functionality that will be used by the majority of users.

If all the possible things used by every possible user would use is retained then you would need a 200GB drive for the OS alone, and as, bloat was one of the many things slated with Vista I can understand why Microsoft had to make the decisions they did.

If a missing functionality or it's implementation is a major issue for a user they have three options
  1. Swallow their dislike and learn to use the new system
  2. Find a 3rd party solution to the issue
  3. Return to, or stay with, their previous operating system
Windows 7 is not perfect, no system that is designed to meet the needs of so many people, with different needs could ever be, but comparing it with XP or Vista at the same stage of development I personally believe that it deserves the praise it has received.
+1 After 9 pages you i hope put it to rest
I second this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Feb 2010   #94
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
One thing to remember about the UI design for win7 is that it is built to support multi-touch. Because of this, the icons and spacings have increased to make this possible, this is. as I understand. it the reason for the change in the system tray behaviour and other things.

Yes I agree that it would be nice for everything from previous Windows versions to be available as an option for those that use it, but I realise and accept that this is not practical. Microsoft did extensive testing of what was actually used across the whole user base and have retained the functionality that will be used by the majority of users.

If all the possible things used by every possible user would use is retained then you would need a 200GB drive for the OS alone, and as, bloat was one of the many things slated with Vista I can understand why Microsoft had to make the decisions they did.

If a missing functionality or it's implementation is a major issue for a user they have three options
  1. Swallow their dislike and learn to use the new system
  2. Find a 3rd party solution to the issue
  3. Return to, or stay with, their previous operating system
Windows 7 is not perfect, no system that is designed to meet the needs of so many people, with different needs could ever be, but comparing it with XP or Vista at the same stage of development I personally believe that it deserves the praise it has received.
+1 After 9 pages you i hope put it to rest
I second this.
+99999 from me
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #95
wysiwyg

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

I think BunBun should change his name to Don Quixote, his fallacious arguements are like tilting at windmils to destroy imaginary dragons.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #96
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I think BunBun should change his name to Don Quixote, his fallacious arguements are like tilting at windmils to destroy imaginary dragons.
Though I agree with Barman58, I respect different views, BunBun has his own issues with Windows 7, I do too but I don't make a fuss out of my issues, nor I make a fuss with BunBun's issues, we can't just flame people because they have different views than us, unless they impolitely flame you in the face...

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #97
pasquanel

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BunBun View Post
Again to lazy to quote.

Anyone know of any good tweaking guides for Windows 7 to help cut down on its bulk of useless features? I have already gone through task scheduler and the turn off windows features thing.
Try Black Vipers site if it ca be tweaked he's done it.Black Viper's Web Site
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #98
BunBun

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pasquanel View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BunBun View Post
Again to lazy to quote.

Anyone know of any good tweaking guides for Windows 7 to help cut down on its bulk of useless features? I have already gone through task scheduler and the turn off windows features thing.
Try Black Vipers site if it ca be tweaked he's done it.Black Viper's Web Site
Right, fogot about that one. Thanks.

I got my boot memory usage down to about 820mb. Not to shabby. Fastest restart i've recorded is 74s but that was before I got memory down to 820mb as well.

I had it down to 710mb one boot but realized I had a dependency disabled that disabled a bunch of services including audio lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #99
sandman

Window's 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I built a system for my brother-in-law and he is one that always has to have things tweaked his way, were i do some adjusting but not like he does, one thing we always do is enable the hidden Admin account from the start and us it instead of the one that is created when you install the operating system. I have tested and used from the first beta's of Vista and also the Windows 7 beta's and like them both but the 7 is the best by far in my opinion. Enjoy and happy tweaking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #100
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Ive found for the most part, disabling services etc does nothing more than break how things were intended to run ... as they are all tied together in way way or another. With a very few exceptions.

Unless your struggling with hardware that barely capable, best to leave it alone.

Some programs want a Pagefile. So disabling can cause issues regardless of how much RAM. Even with 8GB+ a small one 512MB or so is a good idea.

Too much tweaking also tend to hurt more than help.

Perhaps Im wrong, i dunno ... but ive never done all this stuff and have had no issues at all. Win 7 has always been stable, fast , and smooth for me.

Quite simply, Win7 with a Quad and plenty of RAM will be good to you leaving things as they are.
Not to mention, provided you have sufgfecient RAm for Win7 (4GB or more) trying to reduce the amount of RAM used is completely defeating the
purpose and counter productive.

One of the things that makes 7 faster and smoother is its ability to manage and use memory effectively. stopping it from doing so is hurting more than helping.

Why have 4GB + of RAM and tell the OS ... Dont use it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 My Issues with Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Recording issues with recorders (fraps hypercam etc) sound issues
Hey guys, ive lately been making lets play and walkthroughs on youtube and im having a couple of problems. With my headset, in the background while recording thats like a static noise and i cant seem to make it go away, ive tried multiple recording programs like fraps and hypercam but its still...
Gaming
Win 7 Upgrade-MANY issues!! Search, screen flashing, Outlook issues..
I have recently upgraded from XP to Win 7 and I have encountered so my problems I've lost count... However, I work from home and I need to get these issues worked out NOW... So, I am DESPERATE for answers... 1. Main problem: I have done a full system index 273,852 files and 2 days later...
General Discussion
Windows 7 - Genuine Issues Leading to Unable to Update/Install Windows
Hi, I am a tech idiot and I need help. I appreciate anything anyone can do. For several months I have been getting messages that our windows may not be genuine. It came installed on our Dell and we bought directly from Dell so I basically ignored it. Recently we got a message that it is not...
Windows Updates & Activation
Dhcp issues and network connectivity issues since windows 7 x64 sp1
I reformatted my computer because after installing service pack 1 and other updates from Feb 14th my computer has been having issues getting a dhcp from my router. I have a windows 7 home premium 32 bit laptop that works just fine. I also have a ubuntu machine that pulls an address from this...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit issues with desktop freezing/ other issues
Hi all, Going to try and make this brief, "try" being the operative word here.. I have a Gateway PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit 4 gigs of ram but obviously not all useable (yet) Dual core processor Nvidia 9800GT graphics Card Corsair 650 watt PSU HT Omega Striker 7.1 Souncard..
General Discussion
Fix Windows Live Photo Gallery Issues on Windows 7, Vista and XP
Fix Windows Live Photo Gallery Issues on Windows 7, Vista and XP - Softpedia
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App