Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Flash drive is only letting me Read on other computers?

17 Feb 2010   #1
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 
Flash drive is only letting me Read on other computers?

I have a Sandisk Cruzer that I removed U3 from & I am on a computer at school trying to save a file to it but it says I only have Read permission?

How do I assign it write permissions as well? Do I have to do it on my home computer or can I change it on my school computer?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Feb 2010   #2
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

There could be a lockdown on your school's PC's, contact the admin. At home, if it works, its not the USB. If it doesn't work - we'll proceed from there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #3
Zomby88

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
There could be a lockdown on your school's PC's, contact the admin. At home, if it works, its not the USB. If it doesn't work - we'll proceed from there.
This may well be the issue. I have never had a permission issue on a flash drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Feb 2010   #4
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
I have a Sandisk Cruzer that I removed U3 from & I am on a computer at school trying to save a file to it but it says I only have Read permission?

How do I assign it write permissions as well? Do I have to do it on my home computer or can I change it on my school computer?
Is this drive formatted NTFS? If so it is a permissions problem. You most likely log in differently at home then you do at school so the NTFS permissions will be wrong.

Change the permissions on the drive so the Administrators Group and Users Group have full control. When you use it as school you should have access because most schools add all user profiles to the USERS group.

If you donít want to mess with permissions you can format the drive FAT32 and the it will work on most other computers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #5
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
There could be a lockdown on your school's PC's, contact the admin. At home, if it works, its not the USB. If it doesn't work - we'll proceed from there.
Hmm no works fine on the home computer.

And there isnt a lock down at school, we are freely able to sync up flash drives & externals to bring in work & save work.

Is there some type of settings I need to authorize so it will allow other computers to write on it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #6
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
I have a Sandisk Cruzer that I removed U3 from & I am on a computer at school trying to save a file to it but it says I only have Read permission?

How do I assign it write permissions as well? Do I have to do it on my home computer or can I change it on my school computer?
Is this drive formatted NTFS? If so it is a permissions problem. You most likely log in differently at home then you do at school so the NTFS permissions will be wrong.

Change the permissions on the drive so the Administrators Group and Users Group have full control. When you use it as school you should have access because most schools add all user profiles to the USERS group.

If you don’t want to mess with permissions you can format the drive FAT32 and the it will work on most other computers.
Ahh ok, so how do I change permissions so that all groups have full control?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #7
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Adjust the settings on the security tab.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #8
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Adjust the settings on the security tab.
Hmm this is what I've got, I dont see where to give permissions to groups or anything other than "everyone"?


Attached Thumbnails
Flash drive is only letting me Read on other computers?-untitled.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #9
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

That looks fine - does the USB work fine at home? If it does, back up everything off the drive, then quick reformat to NTFS. Then it should work in school too. Copy your data back over when the formatting is done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #10
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
That looks fine - does the USB work fine at home? If it does, back up everything off the drive, then quick reformat to NTFS. Then it should work in school too. Copy your data back over when the formatting is done.
Yeah the drive works fine from home (other than keeping its U3 name grrr)

But this is just a new NTFS formatting I did about a week or two ago...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Flash drive is only letting me Read on other computers?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
My computer and other computers can't read the hard drive.
I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. My Hard Drive can't be read by the computer but I can eject it. https://33.media.tumblr.com/dc6bd82cd10c60bc39fef803c8943c0d/tumblr_nfrgxlQC1A1rrwbqfo1_1280.png I tried to use the Disk Management method but no luck....
Hardware & Devices
Usb flash drive can't be read. (urgent)
Hi, I have another problem (yes... again...) I made another thread because this problem is apart of the other one. I don't know if this is the good forum for that, but I'll still post there because I know there are many people that can help me quickly. I did a backup of my data (music and...
Hardware & Devices
flash drive recognition by different computers is not the same
I may know how to resolve this issue, but would like to have confirmation before making any changes. This represents a learning experience for me. I use two flash drives on a regular basis. One is reserved for school files and assignments. The other is used at home. I have given both flash...
Hardware & Devices
USB Flash Drive does not read.
Hello, If I plug my flash drive into my PC using Windows XP, it works fine. No problems. But when I plug it into my laptop, using Windows 7 it will not load it. It says new hardware detected, installing new hardware, Hardware installation failed. If I go Device Manager, It is listed under...
Hardware & Devices
Can't read Mac-formatted FAT32 flash drive
I formatted a 64gb flash memory stick on a Mac with MSDOS/FAT32 format and copied some files to it just fine. When I plug the stick into my Windows 7 64 bit machine, it wants to format it! From what I have read, the Mac formatted it using a GUID partition. I can see it in Disk Manager and there are...
Hardware & Devices
8gb Transcend Flash Drive with slow read/write speeds
Hi, Im having some problems with my flash drive, on Xp works like a charm, but on windows 7 is really slow, it wont write faster than 800Kb/s and when i plug it on the PC it always says, this devices could run faster if you insert it blablabla... and other devices like Kingston, work great... ...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:51.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App