Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: A few of questions if I may

12 Mar 2010   #1
votemarvel

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
A few of questions if I may

I've been given a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate through my Dad's work and I'm trying to work a few things out that are puzzling me.

There doesn't seem to be a way to keep Computer, Recycle Bin and C:\ as separate icons on the Toolbar, they all get lumped together under one called Explorer. Is there a way to keep them separate?

When I right click on an image and select the Edit command, I want Photoshop Elements to be the program opened but it seems this is not possible. I can change what opens when double clicking on a file but that isn't what I want to do.

Next is something that I think is down to Windows Snap. I want to have my programs full screen but not maximised so I can keep the transparency effect. In XP and Vista I could do this by dragging the program windows to the edges of the screen and then closing it. I try this is Windows 7 though and on reopening the program only takes up half the screen, is there a way to stop 7 from doing this.

Lastly is a matter of cleartype. while my monitor has a native resolution of 1680x1050, I like to run at 1280x800. However while in XP and Vista I can do this and still have text appear clearly, everything appears smudged in Windows 7 no matter how much I tinker with the cleartype. I take it I have no choice but to run at the native resolution and squint at the text.

Sorry that my first post is full of questions but while I accept that my problems are niggles, they are really affecting how I enjoy the operating system and I can feel my fingers itching for my copy of True Image to get XP back on.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Mar 2010   #2
WalkerA WinTeam

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) *** Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), OSX 10.6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by votemarvel View Post
When I right click on an image and select the Edit command, I want Photoshop Elements to be the program opened but it seems this is not possible. I can change what opens when double clicking on a file but that isn't what I want to do.
Hi votemarvel,

Maybe try this registry edit (of course back everything up first): How To Change The Edit Application In Windows

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #3
FZ21Z

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by votemarvel View Post
I want to have my programs full screen but not maximised so I can keep the transparency effect. In XP and Vista I could do this by dragging the program windows to the edges of the screen and then closing it.
Hi.

In 7 it remains when maximized, so not sure why it isn't for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Mar 2010   #4
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello votemarvel, welcome to Seven Forums!



Here's a tutorial that adresses the recycle bin/taskbar issue, at the link below.

Recycle Bin - Pin to Taskbar




Now to read the rest of your questions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #5
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FZ21Z View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by votemarvel View Post
I want to have my programs full screen but not maximised so I can keep the transparency effect. In XP and Vista I could do this by dragging the program windows to the edges of the screen and then closing it.
Hi.

In 7 it remains when maximized, so not sure why it isn't for you.

It is for me too, that window was maxed.

A few of questions if I may-77777.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #6
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Have you looked at the monitor refresh rate to see if Windows 7 has changed it, it does on mine at install, it'll set my one monitor at 30 Hertz at every install.
Quote:
Lastly is a matter of cleartype. while my monitor has a native resolution of 1680x1050, I like to run at 1280x800. However while in XP and Vista I can do this and still have text appear clearly, everything appears smudged in Windows 7 no matter how much I tinker with the cleartype. I take it I have no choice but to run at the native resolution and squint at the text.
A few of questions if I may-capture.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 A few of questions if I may




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Few questions regarding RAM
I have 2GB DDR3 RAM on my laptop at the moment, I was thinking about getting 1 or 2 GB RAM added to my laptop. I'm planning to add more, as CPU is constantly hitting nearly 1.5gb ram with very few applications opened. I have some basic questions, (they may be silly in nature too), I would...
General Discussion
Win 7 OS; Two Questions
I have two questions: 1. I currently have a functioning laptop with Win 7 64Bit. I also have a complete set of recovery discs as well as a system repair disc. If I were to obtain another laptop could I use my discs and install my current Win 7 on the new laptop? If so, then I could...
General Discussion
FAX Questions, Please
Hello, Sr. Citizen now, and frankly not at all sharp with this stuff. Would be most appreciative for any help. Is it possible to have my PC receive FAX's, as it would regular e-mail ? Or, do I have to purchase one of those FAX modems I read about, and utilize our phone line ?
General Discussion
Questions about the MBR
Alright, so long story short my home built desktop has 3 hard drives. One of which is a far newer Western Digital Caviar Black 750gb drive. The next oldest drive is approximately 4 years old 250GB seagate hard drive that was I originally got as a replacement drive for an older computer. ...
Installation & Setup
Some fan questions
Ok, so my AMD Phenom II X2 idles around 40 - 45 C, which I don't like. I'm currently using a heatsink from a 2003, Socket 768 era computer. The heatsink actually fits my AM3 socket. The fan I'm using is from another heatsink which shipped with my CPU, it was a generic made-in-china heatsink and...
Hardware & Devices
Win 7 Questions
Okay so before i installed Winodws 7 RC i had Windows XP and Windows Vista duel booting. But i had no boot manager, i had to push f8 during the first boot up screen to pick which hard drive to boot from, first being vista, second being xp. I installd 7 onto the Vista partition. But when i go to...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App