Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Renaming 'System Reserved' Partition?

14 Mar 2010   #11
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Thanks. Is it possible to screw everything up by trying this out, or is it quite safe?
What about EasyBCD? Could that be used?
Hello imacken;

The "System Reserved" partition, as a boot partition, is not a necessity. I have had it both ways. There is not much danger removing it, what you do by booting to the 7 DVD and running "Startup Repair" is let the DVD put all of the files that were in the seperate partition in the 7 partition, making it the "boot" partition. If you want to read up on the topic, please take a look at this: https://www.sevenforums.com/installat...ndows-7-a.html

The only consideration there might be is that in removing a partition, you change the location of the other partitions on your hard drive. That may or may not be an issue.

Cheers!
Robert


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Mar 2010   #12
severedsolo

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
i would imagine that all you need to do is mark windows partition as active, delete the system partition then run system repair 3 times... but i havent tried it, ill give it a go on a VM a bit later on once my backup has finished
sorry i forgot my VM is only 32 bit, i have 64 bit windows, and my processor doesnt support the 64 bit Virtualization

obviously i dont want to dual boot and test it as that would mess up my own windows if it doesnt work

sorry again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2010   #13
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Thanks. Is it possible to screw everything up by trying this out, or is it quite safe?
What about EasyBCD? Could that be used?
Hello imacken;

The "System Reserved" partition, as a boot partition, is not a necessity. I have had it both ways. There is not much danger removing it, what you do by booting to the 7 DVD and running "Startup Repair" is let the DVD put all of the files that were in the seperate partition in the 7 partition, making it the "boot" partition. If you want to read up on the topic, please take a look at this: https://www.sevenforums.com/installat...ndows-7-a.html

The only consideration there might be is that in removing a partition, you change the location of the other partitions on your hard drive. That may or may not be an issue.

Cheers!
Robert

Hello iseeuu.


Sorry mate, I keep forgetting what a wonderful resource your tutorial is, I'll try to remember it from now on; thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Mar 2010   #14
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Thanks. Is it possible to screw everything up by trying this out, or is it quite safe?
What about EasyBCD? Could that be used?
Hello imacken;

The "System Reserved" partition, as a boot partition, is not a necessity. I have had it both ways. There is not much danger removing it, what you do by booting to the 7 DVD and running "Startup Repair" is let the DVD put all of the files that were in the seperate partition in the 7 partition, making it the "boot" partition. If you want to read up on the topic, please take a look at this: https://www.sevenforums.com/installat...ndows-7-a.html

The only consideration there might be is that in removing a partition, you change the location of the other partitions on your hard drive. That may or may not be an issue.

Cheers!
Robert

Hello iseeuu.


Sorry mate, I keep forgetting what a wonderful resource your tutorial is, I'll try to remember it from now on; thanks!
Thank you, BFK. That is very kind of you!

Cheers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #15
imacken

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Guys, I'm confused by this.
In the attachment you can see that the 'System Reserved' and 'Windows' partitions are active and primary. The 'Windows' one is Boot, so why can't I boot from it?


Attached Images
Renaming 'System Reserved' Partition?-disks.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #16
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Guys, I'm confused by this.
In the attachment you can see that the 'System Reserved' and 'Windows' partitions are active and primary. The 'Windows' one is Boot, so why can't I boot from it?
imacken;

Thanks for the screen shot. However, you do not indicate how many hard drives you have plugged in here. Windows does NOT allow more than ONE ACTIVE PARTITION per hard drive. Your 100MB System Reserved partition was the boot partition and most likely still holds the boot code. Please post a more detailed screen shot of your drives?

Example:
Renaming 'System Reserved' Partition?-phaze_01.png

Cheers!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #17
imacken

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Thanks for that.
Hopefully the attached will be better!


Attached Thumbnails
Renaming 'System Reserved' Partition?-disks2.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #18
iseeuu

 
 

Yes, that makes a big difference. Please notice the red circled area here:

Renaming 'System Reserved' Partition?-disks2.png

The 'hash' marks indicate to me that this is the "Active" partition your computer is booting to. Part of the problem is that you seem to have four identical hard drives, so how do you tell the difference when setting the desired hard drive as first in boot order? Evidently, Drive 1 is first whereas if you want to boot from the "Active" Windows partition, you will want Drive 0 to be first in boot order.

Then, if I may suggest, I would delete all the other 100MB and 200MB "EFI" and "System Reserved" partitions from your system and make sure the ONLY active partition left is the Windows partition.

Cheers!
Robert


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #19
imacken

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Thanks a lot Robert. If you look at my first post, you'll see that I have a triple boot system using Chameleon to boot Windows 7, Snow Leopard and Leopard on different drives.
The Chameleon partition is Disk 3 Part 2 and it is that drive 3 that I am using as the boot drive at the moment.
Of course, I can boot from the Windows drive by changing the boot drive in BIOS, but I want the triple boot to work on 'Windows' not 'System Reserved'.
The 200Mb partitions are OS X system things that are created but not actually used as far as I can see.
The problem is that using Chameleon I have to boot from the System Reserved partition as if I select Windows, I just get the 'BOOTMGR is missing' error.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #20
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Thanks a lot Robert. If you look at my first post, you'll see that I have a triple boot system using Chameleon to boot Windows 7, Snow Leopard and Leopard on different drives.
The Chameleon partition is Disk 3 Part 2 and it is that drive 3 that I am using as the boot drive at the moment.
Of course, I can boot from the Windows drive by changing the boot drive in BIOS, but I want the triple boot to work on 'Windows' not 'System Reserved'.
The 200Mb partitions are OS X system things that are created but not actually used as far as I can see.
The problem is that using Chameleon I have to boot from the System Reserved partition as if I select Windows, I just get the 'BOOTMGR is missing' error.
Sorry mate, my bad. Been awhile since I read your first post. Now that I can put your first post with the screen shot of your drives and your explanation, things are clearer.

I would suggest the way to get things the way you want them, would be to unplug the other three hard drives and configure your Windows partition to boot from the Windows partition. You may have done this already, but if not, you can run the "Startup Repair" from the 7 DVD until Windows boots correctly. Then plug you other hard drives back in and delete (or at least remove the "Active" flag from) the circled partition. As I know nothing about Chameleon, I can only guess then that you will need to repair the boot loader in order to reflect the change from the current "Active" partition to the "Active Windows" partition in order to boot to Windows 7 using the Chameleon boot menu.

Cheers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Renaming 'System Reserved' Partition?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Clean install wont partition Disk 0 with system reserved partition
Trying to do a clean install and my Windows 7 Home Premium x64 seems to have an aversion to putting the system reserved partion on disk 0. My HP notebook has two identical disk drives. If I boot up the windows install with both drives unallocated and do a custom install, the window where i select...
Installation & Setup
No System Reserved Partition
hi, i bought 2tb seagate hdd few days back ... made 3 partitions (c d e) ... & didnt make a "system reserved" partition ... i thought while installing Win 7 Ultimate it would b done/made automatically ... bt it didnt make it ... is it ok or should i make it ???
Installation & Setup
System Reserved Partition
Hello, I just recently purchased computers for our office. When we booted the computer up for the first time it went through the initial install of Windows 7 32-bit. There is one thing I dislike about per-configured computers -- and that is the multiple partitions they assign the hard drive....
General Discussion
System reserved partition (system, active) on Slave drive
Current Master Drive (C:) : OCZ-VERT EX2 SCSI (my SATA Drive) - 60 GB Current Slave Drive (D:) : WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 ATA - 1 TB My computer used to have a boot file set on my slave drive, but OS installed on my master. So i eventually reformatted it so that my boot AND OS was installed on my...
General Discussion
Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard
When I restore from an image there's only 31% free on the System Reserved Partition. I have to wait about 30 minutes or longer and then there is 63% free, then I can create an image. I want to continue to use the Win 7 backup utility because it's very reliable on my computer. I've got a...
Backup and Restore
why is the System reserved partition so big?
Just a ponder really, i ended up giving the system reserved partition a letter, so easy bcd could read it properly, and so of course now tis showing up in my computer, but its showing as 71.5MB free out of 99.9, so why has it taken 100MB for itself if it only needs (lets be generous and say youv...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App