Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I took the chance, B careful what U wish 4

19 Mar 2010   #1
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 
I took the chance, B careful what U wish 4

well, thank you all for the advice for the past 6months.

I took the chance and got this: Amazon.com: Gateway NV7923u 17.3-Inch Laptop (NightSky Black): Computer & Accessories

what a learning curve from my vista32bit laptop.

to me.... it's slower and stuff is missing.
I added the shortcut for the snipping tool.
I added a shortcut for 3d flip.
none of the folders I pin to taskbar will hold after a reboot or something.
I rebuilt my links.
I have not installed much at all
20 M$ updates to be installed yet.
have to choose win explorer to open another window as opposed to just clicking the shortcut again.


and ... I can't do a search for favorites via the start menu.

lots more info later, been playing for 10hrs still got prob another 3-4 to go


talk atcha later


~Carmine


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Mar 2010   #2
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote:
and ... I can't do a search for favorites via the start menu.
Right click the Start Menu>Properties>Start Menu tab>Customize button>checkmark Favorites.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #3
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote:
and ... I can't do a search for favorites via the start menu.
Right click the Start Menu>Properties>Start Menu tab>Customize button>checkmark Favorites.

did that, sorry not working.


I may have to reboot again, I'll let yall know
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Mar 2010   #4
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Rebooting shouldn't be necessary, if Favorites doesn't appear in the right side of the Start Menu with it selected as mentioned, something is wrong with your installation of W7. The only things that I can think of that might be involved are...are you logged into an administrative account? I don't know if there might be some kind of restriction on a normal user making such a change, but I really doubt that there is. Otherwise, I would start running diagnostics, like chkdsk /r, sfc /scannow or a repair installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #5
motc7

 
 

This is a brand new Gateway and you are having these issues?

Seriously, this sounds like a bad factory OS image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #6
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised that most of the problems stem from this,

Quote:
What's in the Box
This package contains the Gateway NV7923u laptop, 6-cell rechargeable battery, AC adapter, and printed documentation
It also comes with the following software: Microsoft Works (applications for word processing, spreadsheet, calendar, and e-mail); 60-day trial of Microsoft Office 2007; Norton Internet Security 2009 (60-day trial); Norton Online Backup; Gateway MyBackup; Google Desktop and Toolbar; WildTangent Demo Games
I know Acer likes to overload a computer with all of their un-necessary junk-ware (E-this and E-that, and 99% of it already built in to Windows), so don't see why Gateway wouldn't be any different seeing as Acer owns Gateway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #7
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello pacinitaly.



Have a look at this thread below to see what you can disable / clean out of the startup file, do disable first to troubleshoot, then if you want to keep a prog/app but don't want it to start when the PC starts remove the entry.

https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...-msconfig.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #8
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Rebooting shouldn't be necessary, if Favorites doesn't appear in the right side of the Start Menu with it selected as mentioned, something is wrong with your installation of W7. The only things that I can think of that might be involved are...are you logged into an administrative account? I don't know if there might be some kind of restriction on a normal user making such a change, but I really doubt that there is. Otherwise, I would start running diagnostics, like chkdsk /r, sfc /scannow or a repair installation.
done

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by motc7 View Post
This is a brand new Gateway and you are having these issues?

Seriously, this sounds like a bad factory OS image.
I think so too

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Wouldn't be the least bit surprised that most of the problems stem from this,

Quote:
What's in the Box
This package contains the Gateway NV7923u laptop, 6-cell rechargeable battery, AC adapter, and printed documentation
It also comes with the following software: Microsoft Works (applications for word processing, spreadsheet, calendar, and e-mail); 60-day trial of Microsoft Office 2007; Norton Internet Security 2009 (60-day trial); Norton Online Backup; Gateway MyBackup; Google Desktop and Toolbar; WildTangent Demo Games
I know Acer likes to overload a computer with all of their un-necessary junk-ware (E-this and E-that, and 99% of it already built in to Windows), so don't see why Gateway wouldn't be any different seeing as Acer owns Gateway.
all bloatware deleted

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello pacinitaly.



Have a look at this thread below to see what you can disable / clean out of the startup file, do disable first to troubleshoot, then if you want to keep a prog/app but don't want it to start when the PC starts remove the entry.

https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...-msconfig.html
done




I've been tweaking for 10hrs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #9
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

We're trying.


Maybe you could do a "Factory Recovery" from the recovery partition to see if that's any better, I used to do them all the time with my HP box, whenever I'd mess something up; the only thing is you'd lose all the work you put in so far as it would take it back to "new"; I probably did more than 20 in less than a year before I gave it to my brother with a brand new Windows 7 on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #10
gregrocker

 

The prob with buying a new computer nowadays is the factory bloatware which provides most of the maker's profit margin, therefore they have no interest in helping you get rid of it.

Most tech enthusiasts find a clean copy of their licensed OS version and reinstall using Product Key on COA sticker on bottom of laptop. The performance difference is remarkable, actually better than getting a new computer!

If you can borrow a friend's installer, unlock all versions to use your licensed verson for reinstall: extract files to desktop, delete ei.cfg file in Sources folder, recompile into ISO to burn all-versions DVD: Bootable ISO - Create from Installation Files

Installer is driver-complete, with newer/missing arriving quickly in Windows Update, or find missing drivers or favorite apps on the Support Downloads webpage for your computer model, Adobe (flash, reader) and Java (runtime, free Ofc suite) sites.

To immediately improve performance, remove bloatware programs using Revo Uninstaller (advanced tab), run msconfig to uncheck everything in Startup tab except AV and what absolutely has to start up with computer (all others are freeloaders on RAM/CPU). For example on my rigs only AV and MS>sidebar+stikynotes is in Startup tab.

Run CCleaner w/Registry tab, Auslogics Disk Defragger.

When finished run sfc /scannow to see if any corruption remains as bloatware can even corrupt by removal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I took the chance, B careful what U wish 4




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Fellow American members, be careful if a Verizon customer!
Full article and court ruling: Verizon forced to hand over telephone data
Chillout Room
Be careful everyone
Major hurricane today, make sure you are prepared and stay safe.
Chillout Room
careful what you delete
I just made a HUGE mistake, I went into the user cp of sevenforums and deleted all my attachments. I thought I was saving John/Shawn ~20MB of space off their servers. it deleted ALL my attachments to posts:o:cry::sick::eek::shock: talk about a dumbassclown
Chillout Room
Be careful you don't end up like this
The tech age
Chillout Room
Showstopper in 7264 - be careful ...
Check out my post in the 7264 thread, and make your decision ... https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/14827-windows-7-7264-leak-74.html#post151071 "DEFINITE SHOW STOPPER! OK, I'll stop shouting. My Lenovo didn't implode, but my 7232 workstation did when I started copying a...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:22.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App