Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do you delete a stray .dll file

19 Mar 2010   #1
PvtMatter

Windows 7
 
 
How do you delete a stray .dll file

I have a stray .dll file from PC Tools antivirus program that is preventing Microsoft Security Essentials from installing. How does one delete the file? I don't see a command prompt in the F8 safe mode boot so how?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Mar 2010   #2
motc7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PvtMatter View Post
I have a stray .dll file from PC Tools antivirus program that is preventing Microsoft Security Essentials from installing. How does one delete the file? I don't see a command prompt in the F8 safe mode boot so how?

Try Unlocker.

[link removed]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #3
z3r010

 

That unlocker site comes up as malicious and last time we checked the installer for the tool shows as infected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Mar 2010   #4
motc7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
That unlocker site comes up as malicious and last time we checked the installer for the tool shows as infected.
this is also available at FileHippo and I have been using it for months. It is not infected on my machine.

Can't imagine why it's throwing a positive on yours. What antivirus you using?

BTW, I goto that site in Firefox, and I get no such warning.


Edit: not promoting the site, but here is an explanation of what might be going on from the developer's own blog.

If you goto that site and click on his blog, it explains alot. Sorry for reposting a link here. I removed it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #5
hybridfan

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
 
 

Checked latest version Unlocker1.8.9

AVG no threats found...


Attached Files
File Type: txt unlocker1.8.9..txt (698 Bytes, 53 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #6
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello PvtMatter.



Here's a tutorial about how to boot to a command window, have a look at the link below.

Command Prompt at Startup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #7
PvtMatter

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by motc7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
That unlocker site comes up as malicious and last time we checked the installer for the tool shows as infected.
this is also available at FileHippo and I have been using it for months. It is not infected on my machine.

Can't imagine why it's throwing a positive on yours. What antivirus you using?

BTW, I goto that site in Firefox, and I get no such warning.


Edit: not promoting the site, but here is an explanation of what might be going on from the developer's own blog.

If you goto that site and click on his blog, it explains alot. Sorry for reposting a link here. I removed it.

I am currently using AVG free until I can rid my system of PC Tools and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

I downloaded Unlocker without any virus warnings. But, what do I do with it? It's running but I down any anything to open when I click on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #8
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

malwarebytes antimalware is another excellent tool. Not only does it clean up nasties, it also has a File Assasin feature which will delete problematic files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #9
PvtMatter

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
malwarebytes antimalware is another excellent tool. Not only does it clean up nasties, it also has a File Assasin feature which will delete problematic files.
Thanks for the info. Here's where I am now. I used File Assassin and was able to delete the PC Tools sole file left in the folder, LSP.dll. Still MS Essentials would not install so I still assume something is running and it must be PC Tools. I have NOT uninstalled my anti-virus software, AVG, because I tried uninstalling it earlier, albeit before I deleted the remnants of the PC Tools folder, so it might be the reason MSE will not install although I am still assuming it is PC Tools.

I used Autorun and found I still have PC Tools Core running as a .sys file in C:\windows\system32\drivers\pctcore64.sys. So, I disabled the file in Autorun but my computer would not restart so I had to do a restore. I am afraid to try deleting the pctcore64.sys file based on what disabling it in Autorun did before. Any suggestions please.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #10
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PvtMatter View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
malwarebytes antimalware is another excellent tool. Not only does it clean up nasties, it also has a File Assasin feature which will delete problematic files.
Thanks for the info. Here's where I am now. I used File Assassin and was able to delete the PC Tools sole file left in the folder, LSP.dll. Still MS Essentials would not install so I still assume something is running and it must be PC Tools. I have NOT uninstalled my anti-virus software, AVG, because I tried uninstalling it earlier, albeit before I deleted the remnants of the PC Tools folder, so it might be the reason MSE will not install although I am still assuming it is PC Tools.

I used Autorun and found I still have PC Tools Core running as a .sys file in C:\windows\system32\drivers\pctcore64.sys. So, I disabled the file in Autorun but my computer would not restart so I had to do a restore. I am afraid to try deleting the pctcore64.sys file based on what disabling it in Autorun did before. Any suggestions please.
You might find running through this guide will get rid of the remnants:
How to Remove PC Tools | eHow.com
Worthy a try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do you delete a stray .dll file




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unable to delete a file,can't delete it can't shred it,
I looked at my firewall events earlier and i saw a file had been trying to connect to the internet but had been blocked by my firewall. Whenever i install a program i am unsure of i block the exe file from connecting to the internet until i'm happy its a safe program. The file is...
General Discussion
Help file wont delete win 7 says there is no file
I have a download that got interrupted and now have a file with extension .file that cant be deleted. Cleaning software wont catch it, restarting not working either. Havent tried a restore yet
General Discussion
Can't delete file due to invalid file name
Hey all! I have a .png file on my secondary hard drive, which I cannot seem to delete. When I try to delete or rename it, it tells me: "The selected file name is invalid or too long". I came across the programs Delinvfile and Unlocker, but they did not seem to work for me. Appreciate any...
General Discussion
Cannot delete a file..
this one file i'm trying to delete is basically an empty 420 mb torrent file that i skipped in the torrent que.. anyhow, when i try deleting the file, i press the delete button an nothing happens.. also my explorer.exe starts using up 50% of my resources on the taskbar and stays like that...
General Discussion
cannot delete file
I can not delete file. it is a wav file i rendered and then i found out was probley too big (1.5 hours). so anyway, all i want to do is delete it the file itself became inaccessible in windows explorer and i cant delete it. trying to open the folder it is in just times out (the progress bar in...
General Discussion
Can't Delete File
First off I am new to this so I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. OK so i have a file on my desktop that contains videos that i wanted to delete to free up some space and it will not let me delete them. I have Windows 7 and when i right click then click delete it says "You need...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:27.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App