Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What happened to XP's multiple file search

15 Mar 2011   #21
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lilaclily View Post
In the old XP i could simply go to search and specify date, documents, pics, etc. This is completely useless for me If I had known this I would never have brought a PC with windows 7
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pacinitaly View Post

ya go


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Mar 2011   #22
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lilaclily View Post
In the old XP i could simply go to search and specify date, documents, pics, etc. This is completely useless for me If I had known this I would never have brought a PC with windows 7
You still can do exactly that and even more so. It really is not that hard. Heck when you are putting in a date it even gives you a calendar to help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2011   #23
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Search in Windows 7

Use Option 2 to search like XP.

Also read the three boxes at the top of the tutorial for further info.
This is one of them below.
Quote:
Note
Before doing a search in Windows 7, you should make sure that you have set your Search Options for the What to search, How to search, and When searching non-indexed locations settings. If you have the index enabled (it is by default), then you should also have any locations and file types added to be indexed so they will be included in the search results when doing a search. If the files have been recently changed, then the index may not have finshed updating yet and you will need to manually rebuild the index to force it to update now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Mar 2011   #24
KevinC21

window 7
 
 

Option 2 doesn't really help search multiple files like XP does. Is there anyway to change the search from Boolean to the way XP does it search with a "," ?




Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
Search in Windows 7

Use Option 2 to search like XP.

Also read the three boxes at the top of the tutorial for further info.
This is one of them below.
Quote:
Note
Quote:
Before doing a search in Windows 7, you should make sure that you have set your Search Options for the What to search, How to search, and When searching non-indexed locations settings. If you have the index enabled (it is by default), then you should also have any locations and file types added to be indexed so they will be included in the search results when doing a search. If the files have been recently changed, then the index may not have finshed updating yet and you will need to manually rebuild the index to force it to update now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2011   #25
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Try this tutorial that I published some time ago. It will help with the configuration and use of Windows 7 Search: Windows Search - Configure and Use
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2011   #26
KevinC21

window 7
 
 

Great instructions but still not any help for searching multiple files. The new Windows search is better for indexing and finding files for the most part but to remove a very simple search function for finding mutilple files as the use of a comma makes it just about unusable for what I need it to do.

Thanks
Kevin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2011   #27
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

How hard is it for you to type "OR", really?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2011   #28
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
How hard is it for you to type "OR", really?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KevinC21 View Post
Great instructions but still not any help for searching multiple files. The new Windows search is better for indexing and finding files for the most part but to remove a very simple search function for finding mutilple files as the use of a comma makes it just about unusable for what I need it to do.

Thanks
Kevin
LogicEarth beat me to it.

But Kevin, you should have a look at the "Boolean Properties" section in the "Windows Search Reference" category towards the end of the tutorial.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #29
KevinC21

window 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
How hard is it for you to type "OR", really?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KevinC21 View Post
Great instructions but still not any help for searching multiple files. The new Windows search is better for indexing and finding files for the most part but to remove a very simple search function for finding mutilple files as the use of a comma makes it just about unusable for what I need it to do.

Thanks
Kevin
LogicEarth beat me to it.

But Kevin, you should have a look at the "Boolean Properties" section in the "Windows Search Reference" category towards the end of the tutorial.
I did check out the Boolean Properties but that was not much help.

Not hard to type in "OR" at all. But I do searches several times a day for 20-30 different files names (part numbers) and now have to type in "OR" between each one everytime. So it's a bit of a pain.

123,124,125,126,127,128
123 OR 124 OR 125 OR 126 OR 127 OR 128

Tell me what you would want to do.....

And another thing. You can't right click to pull up a seach box...Not sure what they were thinking with this update. Small things but still a pain for what I need to do.

Thanks
Kevin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #30
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

What do you mean, right-click to pull up a search box? Its right there up in the right hand corner all the time.
CTRL + F (or F3) gives focus to that search box every time you are in an Explorer window.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What happened to XP's multiple file search




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
search multiple files, copy+paste to new folder (batch file software?)
I am a complete newbie when it comes to batch files and batch file software, so apologies in advance. I've done some research on Google etc but I seem to just be getting more and more confused trying to use various different scripts and programs and reading different info on various websites. ...
General Discussion
Is it possible to search for multiple file types in Windows 7?
I want to enter, in one go, something like, "*.txt,*.pdf,*.xls", in windows explorer search bar. This syntax doe not seem to work. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Andy
General Discussion
I can't sort by File Types. What happened to File Details?
When I do a search on how to sort, I get a Tutorial that tells me to open the "View" Menu item. However, as you can see from the attached, I don't have a VIEW menu on my Folder. I would like to sort these by file type so that I can save them to a CD. What am I doing wrong here?:(
General Discussion
Search libraries for multiple file types? How?
Hello All:: <I've spent an hour trying to figure this out; time to post!> Is there a way to search a Win 7 Library for multiple file types? For example: How about searching a Documents Library, and having the search contain all the .doc files + .txt files + .pdf files? And have the...
General Discussion
Whatever happened to Search?
Search is all f/u. Whatever happened to 'normal and advanced' search - that is other than the little box under the orb key? I'm looking for .mbx files (mailbox) and know I have dozens of them, but Search says I have NONE. I am also getting 'unable to connect to 127.0.0.x' errors.
General Discussion
Question Search drives for multiple file extensions
I've made the move (fresh install on new HDD) from XP to Win7RC x64 (I never gave Vista a look) and I want to scan my old HDD partitions for *.xls;*.doc;*.dwg;*.jpg etc to make sure I haven't missed any old files which were not saved in the right place. The two partitions are mounted as F:\ and...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App