Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Where has the 10gb in my C drive gone? Phantom files

28 Mar 2010   #11
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

click on computer incon>right click on c drive>properties>disk clean up. You will see clean system files. Click on that. If never done, before you will regain a lot of space.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Mar 2010   #12
sonicradar

Windows 7
 
 
I need to upgrade my pci video card

I need to upgrade my pci video card and need to know which one(s) has drivers for windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #13
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sonicradar View Post
I need to upgrade my pci video card and need to know which one(s) has drivers for windows 7
\\

You will receive more attention and help this poster resolve his problem if you start a new thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Mar 2010   #14
abhiroopb

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post

right here,
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
click on computer incon>right click on c drive>properties>disk clean up. You will see clean system files. Click on that. If never done, before you will regain a lot of space.
Thanks for the screenshot. I am at work right now so of the top of my head I cannot recall if that button was there last time I opened up the cleaning function. However, from what I recall it was NOT there as I hunted around for it.

In any case I used CCleaner which, from what I have been told, ought to clean up the system files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #15
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

This is probably an increase of your allocated shadowstorage. With each install and uninstall, Vista writes a shadow (restore point) of about 1GB - plus one is written each day in Vista and each week in Windows7. For that purpose Vista reserves 15% of your OS disk partition and allocates/uses it as needed. The allocation in Windows7 is variable from 3 to 15% depending on the size of your C-disk.
Find Command Prompt (in All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt), right click on it and Open as Administrator. Into the little black window type VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE and hit ENTER. It will show 3 numbers:
Allocated - that is the amount that it has grabbed from your OS partition at this time
Used - this is the amount currently used
Maximum - this is the ultimate amount it will allocate and use
Once you reach "maximum", it will reuse the space deleting the oldest shadows for the storage of the newest shadows. With e.g. a 200GB OS partition you should expect a maximum of 30GBs that are reserved for the system and that you cannot use. If your OS partition is larger or smaller, the shadowstorage will be accordingly (always 15% max.in Vista but variable in Windows7) But the restore points (shadows) are required the day you need to do a system restore.
The easiest way to change the shadowstorage is with this cmd command: (for the case where you want to set it to the minimum which is 300GB)
Vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=300MB
If you want to set it to e.g. 20GB, the command would look like this:
Vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=20GB
Never forget GB or MB behind the MaxSize number because then the system will assume bytes and you will get an error.
Note: In Windows7 you can also set it in System Protection, but you have to be a good scout to find it. The cmd way is faster – just paste the command into cmd and adjust the last number to your liking. You have to, of course, also adjust the drive letter if you apply it to other than C.

Source: My own blog
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #16
abhiroopb

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
This is probably an increase of your allocated shadowstorage. With each install and uninstall, Vista writes a shadow (restore point) of about 1GB - plus one is written each day in Vista and each week in Windows7. For that purpose Vista reserves 15% of your OS disk partition and allocates/uses it as needed. The allocation in Windows7 is variable from 3 to 15% depending on the size of your C-disk.
Find Command Prompt (in All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt), right click on it and Open as Administrator. Into the little black window type VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE and hit ENTER. It will show 3 numbers:
Allocated - that is the amount that it has grabbed from your OS partition at this time
Used - this is the amount currently used
Maximum - this is the ultimate amount it will allocate and use
Once you reach "maximum", it will reuse the space deleting the oldest shadows for the storage of the newest shadows. With e.g. a 200GB OS partition you should expect a maximum of 30GBs that are reserved for the system and that you cannot use. If your OS partition is larger or smaller, the shadowstorage will be accordingly (always 15% max.in Vista but variable in Windows7) But the restore points (shadows) are required the day you need to do a system restore.
The easiest way to change the shadowstorage is with this cmd command: (for the case where you want to set it to the minimum which is 300GB)
Vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=300MB
If you want to set it to e.g. 20GB, the command would look like this:
Vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=20GB
Never forget GB or MB behind the MaxSize number because then the system will assume bytes and you will get an error.
Note: In Windows7 you can also set it in System Protection, but you have to be a good scout to find it. The cmd way is faster – just paste the command into cmd and adjust the last number to your liking. You have to, of course, also adjust the drive letter if you apply it to other than C.

Source: My own blog
I assume what you mean is basically the “system restore” function that comes with Windows 7?

As I mentioned I have mine set to 3.5GB, it was already set to 3.5GB and I did nothing to change it (I originally went through the System Protection root). I did delete all the restore points which freed up some space. The thing is, it isn’t as though I have a lack of space and I have to free up space, it is just that I want to know what my space is being utilised for.

Is there anything else that could be the problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #17
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Did you do a clean disk of the system files as suggested?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #18
abhiroopb

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Did you do a clean disk of the system files as suggested?
As I said I did not find an option for it, i.e. that button was not there. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium and was unsure as to why it was missing!

Having said that I regularly use CCleaner which is quite aggressive in it's cleaning of system files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #19
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Run WinDirStat - that will tell you what is really on your disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #20
abhiroopb

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Run WinDirStat - that will tell you what is really on your disk.
Thanks but as I mentioned I already know that 41GB is being taken up by my Windows, Program Files and other related folders in C:\.

There are no more folders/files in C:\ drive and that is why I am wondering where the extra 6GB is going. I don't really need to see how the 41GB is being used (i.e. which folder/file is using how much space).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Where has the 10gb in my C drive gone? Phantom files




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I deleted 10gb data but i did not got 10gb free space?
I deleted approx 10gb data from c drive but my free space is still the same :-( Don't know what to do.
General Discussion
Phantom BD-Drive
Hello, Ik have a phantom/copied BD-Drive on my pc, it has copied the last entry in my actual BD-Drive, but it hasn't been removed since I unloaded my BD-tray. It is not accessable, formatable or disconnectable. It is not visible in disk management nor in devices. I have also tried local group...
Hardware & Devices
How to remove phantom drive?
I have a phantom removable disk drive (4) G: showing in Computer Management, this is also giving me real hassle as in thread; https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/259720-problem-autoplay-system-reserved-g-error-appearing.html In Computer Management there is also a flashing G: or...
General Discussion
Phantom BD-ROM Drive
My computer seems to think I have a BD-Rom drive installed (drive F:) but I don't have a blu ray drive in my PC. Any ideas? Thanks, Alex
Hardware & Devices
My Phantom Drive
Ok, here's the thing. I gotta drive C. I gotta drive D. My CD drive is E. And my flash drive is F. Within the last 6 hours, a drive Q pops up. I have no idea where it came from. It's an unaccessible 0 byte drive. How can I get rid of it? :confused:
Hardware & Devices
Phantom Floppy Drive
Would anyone know why Windows 7 lists "Floppy Disk Drive A:" in the list with Devices With Removable Storage when I don't have a floppy disk drive of any sort - and could I remove it from being shown ? Thanks Glenn.
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:16.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App