Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Login, Not your run of the mill problem.

28 Mar 2010   #1
epbit

Windows 7
 
 
Login, Not your run of the mill problem.

Google, ask windows, and seven forums, pull results that are not fixing this weird issue.

Previously, Windows 7 would just boot up and go to my desktop.
Now in the last 3 days it will boot and sit a the login screen with my "Administrator" account and "Other User" appears to the right, with [switch user] underneath.

OK I think what ever, just click on my admin account, however, once clicking my admin account icon it starts to log in but never shows my desktop and just pops me back to my login screen.

So, obviously there is a problem with something, so I did 3 things.
1. Checked my user accounts, as I only have mine, there was guest and homeusers.
2. Disabled [switch user] option by registry edit.
Now the "Other Users" account does not show, cool. But still stuck on login.
3. Unchecked "Users must enter a... on this computer" using the "control userpasswords2"
Selected my admin account, I have no password so left that blank.
Reboot and whohoo it logged in but instantly kicked me back to my login screen.

Now the only way I can currently log in is by just holding down "Enter" key and watching it attempt to login about 3-5 times, until my desktop finally appears.

Safe mode boots right to the desktop, so it's something with my account, or software.
As far as I can remember I only installed the new Avira 10 antivirus. My others systems still have Avira 9 on them, with out these issues.

I'll uninstall Avira to test to see if it is the problem.
Any other ideas of why I get kicked back to the login screen over and over, until it decides ok you can log in now.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Mar 2010   #2
epbit

Windows 7
 
 

Ok Avira 10 is the problem!
I uninstalled it and rebooted, computer went right to the desktop with no login issues.

I'll write to Avira now, and go back to v9 for now, or put in Comodo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #3
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

It's Avira 10 causing the problem no doubt. A/V's do wierd stuff like that all the time.
...I wasn't quick enough there but I knew you would figure it out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Mar 2010   #4
epbit

Windows 7
 
 

Ugh, I guess it left something behind.
Avira 9 won't update after the 1st
Comodo wouldn't update virus definitions so uninstalled that.
I'll try Microsoft Security again, but not at the time of this post.

Still have the issue.
It attempts to login on bootup says "welcome" with the aero busy cursor,
then kicks out to the login, and now "other user" appears again.

So I hold [Enter] until it finally logs in to the desktop.

I've ran Wintools to clean up registry and files, manually went threw and deleted old app folders. I can't figure this one out.

I can either reinstall, bla, or just keep the computer on and put it to sleep at night, instead of off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2010   #5
matt_0978

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

no system restore points to before u put avira 10 on? is avira the one with the umbrella btw? i hated that a/v. i swear by norton 360 v4 and malwarebytes. good luck sorting ur prob out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2010   #6
motc7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matt_0978 View Post
no system restore points to before u put avira 10 on? is avira the one with the umbrella btw? i hated that a/v. i swear by norton 360 v4 and malwarebytes. good luck sorting ur prob out.
Norton? Are you kidding? I mean to each their own, but by and large, anything from Symantec is kind of crap these days.

Try Avast! I never have problems with this. And to the OP, I'm glad I saw this as I was going to give Avira a try, but now, no way!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2010   #7
epbit

Windows 7
 
 

I bounce from Comodo to Avira and back, I've added MS Security Essentials to the mix.
Avira 9 was great, no problems and ranked 3rd at 99% detection (3rd party German testing)
v10 just came out and I updated it, then started to have this login issue.
Uninstalling Avira worked for 1 reboot, then installed Avira 9 again, same issue.
So uninstalled that, now I have MsSE installed. Don't have to reboot after install of that AV so I haven't rebooted yet.

I do have some Restore points, but I've never used them before, do they just restore registry settings to the time of the created point? I have one dated to the 26th, but it looks like it will restore a bunch of registry settings to programs I don't have installed anymore.

It seems to log me in, past the login, but kicks me out before the desktop shows, then I have to chose my user account again, but "other user" appears after that point.

Wierdness.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2010   #8
matt_0978

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by epbit View Post
I bounce from Comodo to Avira and back, I've added MS Security Essentials to the mix.
Avira 9 was great, no problems and ranked 3rd at 99% detection (3rd party German testing)
v10 just came out and I updated it, then started to have this login issue.
Uninstalling Avira worked for 1 reboot, then installed Avira 9 again, same issue.
So uninstalled that, now I have MsSE installed. Don't have to reboot after install of that AV so I haven't rebooted yet.

I do have some Restore points, but I've never used them before, do they just restore registry settings to the time of the created point? I have one dated to the 26th, but it looks like it will restore a bunch of registry settings to programs I don't have installed anymore.

It seems to log me in, past the login, but kicks me out before the desktop shows, then I have to chose my user account again, but "other user" appears after that point.

Wierdness.
It restores your whole PC just as it was on the day the restore point was made; this means any programs that were installed prior will be restored and any programs installed since will no longer be available. user files are not affected, so anything in my documents, music, video and anything you have downloaded since will all still be available. as for restoring 'a bunch of registry settings to programs i don't have installed anymore' what's the big deal? uninstalling them again and cleaning the registry with e.g. ccleaner is a lot less of a headache than this mess avira 10 has caused you!

@motc, and this goes for you too epbit, comodo internet security has about the best detection rates but norton does suit me, it has a pleasing gui it is uncomplicated and is more than adequate for my needs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2010   #9
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by motc7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matt_0978 View Post
no system restore points to before u put avira 10 on? is avira the one with the umbrella btw? i hated that a/v. i swear by norton 360 v4 and malwarebytes. good luck sorting ur prob out.
Norton? Are you kidding? I mean to each their own, but by and large, anything from Symantec is kind of crap these days.

Try Avast! I never have problems with this. And to the OP, I'm glad I saw this as I was going to give Avira a try, but now, no way!
Might want to actually check out the new Norton.
Its actually one of the Best AV solutions right now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2010   #10
sandman

Window's 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I use Symantec End Point protection on 5 systems with no issues and been using it for years from 11.0.2--11.0.500.333 version to date. Switched from Norton years ago when it would not work or took up to much resources. Its a little on the expensive side but 3 of us went in on a deal for it. Tried Vipre for a while worked very good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Login, Not your run of the mill problem.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Rumor Mill: Windows 9 to Be Codenamed Windows Blue
Windows BLUE... next to Windows 8 ? Rumour ? have a look at this... :) Rumor Mill: Windows 9 to Be Codenamed Windows Blue - Softpedia
News
Login problem
Hey guys, having quite a strange problem today, hopefully some of you can shed light on it, and help me through. It seems that i am unable to login to my profile on my computer. For a start, my account has no password, so it would usually log in by itself. Second, upon clicking my account image...
General Discussion
login problem
Hello, I recently cleaned my hard disk of some malware i had. So i restarted my computer and windows 7 starts up but the login does not appear only the background appears. like so: http://i52.tinypic.com/2qtambd.jpg i do have a recovery disk and access to the cmd. i tried the start up...
General Discussion
Login problem
I have forgotten my login password for win7 and can't get in to my computer. Is there any way i can get around this.Thank you.
General Discussion
Problem with login
Hey guys :) I have very strange problem This morning I installed this pack on my Win 7 Ultimate x86 Browsing Windows 7 Utilities on deviantART When I restarted my PC it showed me welcome screen and then a black screen only with the pointer. Then I went in safe mode and removed only the visual...
General Discussion
Login problem
I updated to windows seven about a month ago and no problems until this week. I turned on my computer and loged in, and it was extremly slow and unresponsive. When I say extremly slow, I mean it took over an hour and some of my desktop icons were still white. I tried Ctrl+Alt+Delete and closed...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App