Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What is "mrt" and "mrtstub"?

07 Apr 2010   #41
TheTalker

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Well, if it doesn't hurt should I just keep it on? Or change the schedule? I might forget about it and never do it. And I'd say that I do a lot of installing these days.

Also my brother, who is a man of little words, told me to leave it turned on. And of course he won't explain why I should leave it on.

Edit:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
The need for defragging depends on how you use your computer. If you install and uninstall a lot of programs or create and delete a lot of files, you should probably run defrag on that schedule. I defrag about once a month.
Well, I do install and uninstall a lot so maybe I should keep the defragging on.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Apr 2010   #42
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Why not compromise set it for 2 times a month. Once a week is too much.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2010   #43
TheTalker

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

How do I set it to do it twice? I can select the frequency, the time and the day and how many disks but how would make it do it twice a month?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Apr 2010   #44
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

I just turned it off, so not familiar with the frequency setting. Just set it for once a month. That will be more than enough.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2010   #45
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I agree that automatic defrag should be turned off, unless your use of the computer is the type that creates heavy fragmentation. But, I install programs that tend to do that in a separate partition from the OS, so system fragmentation is quite slow. Plus, I have always been the kind of person that prefer to do things manually. It is simple enough to periodically open the defragger and analyze a partition to determine it's state.

EDIT: When I defrag most often, is when doing a clean reinstallation of the OS, which probably means reinstalling the programs also, due to their need to be registered. On some programs, like games, I may defrag after every one or two installations, because that seems to always produce a high degree of fragmentation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2010   #46
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Poster is afraid that he will forget to defrag, he wants a schedule.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2010   #47
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

I have 3 hard drives.

I have Windows 7 scheduled to defrag Wednesday at 1 AM. Sometimes my computer is on at that time and sometimes it isn't. I never notice defrag running in the background.

I installed Windows 7 when it was released last October. Since that time, I have NEVER done a manual defrag. I just rely on the scheduled defrag.

I periodically check on how badly my drives are fragmented. Since I installed Windows 7, none of my 3 drives has EVER been more than 2% fragmented. I'd say I am a typical user. I install programs from time to time, do a lot of downloading, and do a lot of file deletion and moving files around.

Here are my stats right now:

C: 0% fragmented
D: 1% fragmented
E: 2% fragmented.

That is typical of what I have seen since I installed Windows 7. I am still using my original Windows 7 installation.

It appears that Windows 7 manages fragmentation better than Vista. Under similar circumstances using Vista, my 3 drives would often get into the range of 15% fragmented when relying on a weekly schedule.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2010   #48
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I have 3 hard drives.

I have Windows 7 scheduled to defrag Wednesday at 1 AM. Sometimes my computer is on at that time and sometimes it isn't. I never notice defrag running in the background.

I installed Windows 7 when it was released last October. Since that time, I have NEVER done a manual defrag. I just rely on the scheduled defrag.

I periodically check on how badly my drives are fragmented. Since I installed Windows 7, none of my 3 drives has EVER been more than 2% fragmented. I'd say I am a typical user. I install programs from time to time, do a lot of downloading, and do a lot of file deletion and moving files around.

Here are my stats right now:

C: 0% fragmented
D: 1% fragmented
E: 2% fragmented.

That is typical of what I have seen since I installed Windows 7. I am still using my original Windows 7 installation.

It appears that Windows 7 manages fragmentation better than Vista. Under similar circumstances, my 3 drives would often get into the range of 15% fragmented when relying on a weekly schedule.
My results are about the same. Defrag is required very rarely unless you install and unintall a lot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2010   #49
TheTalker

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I agree that automatic defrag should be turned off, unless your use of the computer is the type that creates heavy fragmentation. But, I install programs that tend to do that in a separate partition from the OS, so system fragmentation is quite slow. Plus, I have always been the kind of person that prefer to do things manually. It is simple enough to periodically open the defragger and analyze a partition to determine it's state.

EDIT: When I defrag most often, is when doing a clean reinstallation of the OS, which probably means reinstalling the programs also, due to their need to be registered. On some programs, like games, I may defrag after every one or two installations, because that seems to always produce a high degree of fragmentation.
I'm going to schedule it to perform once a month. I don't want to forget or anything.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Poster is afraid that he will forget to defrag, he wants a schedule.
I'm a girl.

But, yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. So I'm going to schedule it to perform once a month every Wednesday.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I have 3 hard drives.

I have Windows 7 scheduled to defrag Wednesday at 1 AM. Sometimes my computer is on at that time and sometimes it isn't. I never notice defrag running in the background.

I installed Windows 7 when it was released last October. Since that time, I have NEVER done a manual defrag. I just rely on the scheduled defrag.

I periodically check on how badly my drives are fragmented. Since I installed Windows 7, none of my 3 drives has EVER been more than 2% fragmented. I'd say I am a typical user. I install programs from time to time, do a lot of downloading, and do a lot of file deletion and moving files around.

Here are my stats right now:

C: 0% fragmented
D: 1% fragmented
E: 2% fragmented.

That is typical of what I have seen since I installed Windows 7. I am still using my original Windows 7 installation.

It appears that Windows 7 manages fragmentation better than Vista. Under similar circumstances using Vista, my 3 drives would often get into the range of 15% fragmented when relying on a weekly schedule.
That pretty much sums up what I do on my computer. My drives are 0% right now and I didn't defrag since last Wednesday as far as I know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2010   #50
TheTalker

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I used Malewarebytes and it says it found 7 items! I had them removed and then restarted. But that's scary.

My brother said that it's possible it's stuff that Kaspersky already removed but there were still remnants of them in the registry. He said that Kaspersky doesn't change the registry so that's probably what they are. I don't know though.

It's scary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What is "mrt" and "mrtstub"?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"access denied" when using "assoc" and "ftype" from cmdline?
I tried to associate the file extension .txt to a new editor program with the well known cmdline programs ASSOC and FTYPE. No, assigning them through WinExplorer menu does not work. But this is another problem which should not discussed here. When I type now one of the following...
General Discussion
Kyboard deos not respond to the keys: "e", "d", "c" and "3"
Example sentence: vrytim I prss ths kys, nothing happns. Now I'm writing with my on-sreen keyboard. I'm clueless when it comes to computer stuff. How do I fix this? Is this a software problem, or a hardware problem?Help is much appreciated!
Hardware & Devices
Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme
Ok so I'm using a custom visual style made by another user however I don't really like the buttons used that I mentioned above. The creator states it is acceptable to change the theme to however you like as long as you don't redistribute it anywhere. Ok so I opened up the .msstyles file (using...
Customization
BSOD every few hours: mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "c00021a" & "c0000135"
Hi everyone! Yesterday my HP laptop (Windows 7) started getting BSOD with various types of errors (mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "STOP: 0x0000007A", "c00021a" and one "missing %hs, c0000135"). Most of the time it restarts without any issues and works fine right after the BSOD and then an hour or two...
BSOD Help and Support
Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"
My office just upgraded, and I can no longer use Windows XP. On this system, I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network, and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists. Each task on each taskbar...
General Discussion
Remaking "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders
hi, OK, this is a weird one. I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App