Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What is "mrt" and "mrtstub"?

07 Apr 2010   #61
TheTalker

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Okay. Thank you for that information. I have used System Restores on several occasions.

My scan will take way longer then half an hour. I scanned using MRT and it took 12 hours. I suspect Malware Bytes will take just as long.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Apr 2010   #62
TheTalker

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I'd run Malware Bytes when I wasn't using my PC for any particular purpose. If you do other stuff while it's running, it will take longer to complete and your games won't run as fast as they should. Do one or the other. A complete scan might take a half hour or more?
Is the only thing that could happen is that the games run slow? Or is it potentially dangerous to do other things while scanning with MB? I've got a lot of files on my computer. About 300,000 and MB has been going for an hour and got through 34,000 so far but it's gonna take a while to finish and I'd like to do other things. But I won't if you say it's dangerous.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2010   #63
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

I hope that you trust me, you have no worries. Just go and enjoy. MB takes a long time to complete because it is thorough.

You have done everything that you could. Go enjoy the computer. If a problem comes up you will be helped.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Apr 2010   #64
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

I doubt it is dangerous.

But a watched pot never boils.

As I recall, you can't extrapolate on the time thing--just because it has gone through 30k of 300k files, doesn't mean you are really only 10% done.

I don't think Malware Bytes has ever taken more than a couple of hours to do a complete scan on my PC.

But you may have a less powerful processor, which would slow you down.

You can always run Malware Bytes overnight.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2010   #65
TheTalker

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
I hope that you trust me, you have no worries. Just go and enjoy. MB takes a long time to complete because it is thorough.

You have done everything that you could. Go enjoy the computer. If a problem comes up you will be helped.
Yes, I trust you. I'll let it run in the background and if I sense things are running too slowly and what not I'll just pause it.

Thank you.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I doubt it is dangerous.

But a watched pot never boils.

As I recall, you can't extrapolate on the time thing--just because it has gone through 30k of 300k files, doesn't mean you are really only 10% done.

I don't think Malware Bytes has ever taken more than a couple of hours to do a complete scan on my PC.

But you may have a less powerful processor, which would slow you down.

You can always run Malware Bytes overnight.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I doubt it is dangerous.

But a watched pot never boils.

As I recall, you can't extrapolate on the time thing--just because it has gone through 30k of 300k files, doesn't mean you are really only 10% done.

I don't think Malware Bytes has ever taken more than a couple of hours to do a complete scan on my PC.

But you may have a less powerful processor, which would slow you down.

You can always run Malware Bytes overnight.
Okay, I understand.

By the way, my processor is an AMD Phenom 2 720.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2011   #66
Toshibalover665

windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
mrtstub

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheTalker View Post
I was browsing through an external hard drive on my computer. The OS was not installed on it or anything. I saw this folder with a lock on it and inside are two files. mrt and mrtstub.

I Googled it but nothing really came up that helped me. Just things like "Is this maleware?" or "How can I prevent it from re-installing?" and it's made me worried now because I never installed anything on that drive. Just got files stored there.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Thank you.

Edit: I'm really scared now. It looks like this is a virus or something from I'm seeing in Google's searches!
So how do I unlock the folder so I can delete it? I don't want it on my external hard drive. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2013   #67
nwhitehead1963

Vista 32 bit
 
 
How to remove this?

I'm still running on Vista and my external drive has this folder taking up space I really can't spare since the drive it's self isn't large.

If this came with Windows 7 why is it on my computer? If it's just part of an update is there any way to remove this?

Thank you to anyone that can help me with this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2013   #68
COMPUTIAC

Windows 8.1.1 64bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What is "mrt" and "mrtstub"?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"access denied" when using "assoc" and "ftype" from cmdline?
I tried to associate the file extension .txt to a new editor program with the well known cmdline programs ASSOC and FTYPE. No, assigning them through WinExplorer menu does not work. But this is another problem which should not discussed here. When I type now one of the following...
General Discussion
Kyboard deos not respond to the keys: "e", "d", "c" and "3"
Example sentence: vrytim I prss ths kys, nothing happns. Now I'm writing with my on-sreen keyboard. I'm clueless when it comes to computer stuff. How do I fix this? Is this a software problem, or a hardware problem?Help is much appreciated!
Hardware & Devices
Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme
Ok so I'm using a custom visual style made by another user however I don't really like the buttons used that I mentioned above. The creator states it is acceptable to change the theme to however you like as long as you don't redistribute it anywhere. Ok so I opened up the .msstyles file (using...
Customization
BSOD every few hours: mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "c00021a" & "c0000135"
Hi everyone! Yesterday my HP laptop (Windows 7) started getting BSOD with various types of errors (mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "STOP: 0x0000007A", "c00021a" and one "missing %hs, c0000135"). Most of the time it restarts without any issues and works fine right after the BSOD and then an hour or two...
BSOD Help and Support
Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"
My office just upgraded, and I can no longer use Windows XP. On this system, I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network, and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists. Each task on each taskbar...
General Discussion
Remaking "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders
hi, OK, this is a weird one. I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App