Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Should I upgrade to Win7?

09 Apr 2010   #21
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

I tried Vista in the early stages. I lived in a rural area and was on dialup. I had problems with it - driver issues, crashes, SOD's, etc - and was working 10-12 hours a day; so I flat didn't have time or the resources to mess with it and get it right. I reinstalled XP and never touched Vista again.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Apr 2010   #22
devildog93

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

I was gonna go back to XP on my Acer, but I know someone who was able to get me a free (and legal) copy of Windows 7 Professional so I thought, "what the hell, can't hurt and can always go back to XP"

But Windows 7 Pro just took over like a true champion, and free to boot, figuratively, and literally.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #23
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I once read that 45% of the Vista problems were caused by shoddy drivers and 50% by user errors. That leaves 5% that can be blamed on Vista proper. I don't know how they got these numbers, but if they are halfway right, they are very telling.
I am inclined to believe the user error number. Vista was so much different to XP where most people came from that it was easy for them to get confused. Win7 looks more like XP in many areas (which I consider a step backwards). But MS was faced with a dilemma and I guess they had to do that to make the XP crowd move.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Apr 2010   #24
devildog93

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I once read that 45% of the Vista problems were caused by shoddy drivers and 50% by user errors. That leaves 5% that can be blamed on Vista proper. I don't know how they got these numbers, but if they are halfway right, they are very telling.
I am inclined to believe the user error number. Vista was so much different to XP where most people came from that it was easy for them to get confused. Win7 looks more like XP in many areas (which I consider a step backwards). But MS was faced with a dilemma and I guess they had to do that to make the XP crowd move.

That very well could be the point, and probably is. I went from XP, with little knowledge, to Vista, which to me was quite different, and very well may have created my own problems. Now that I have a better grasp of things, maybe THAT is why I am having a great time with Windows7, and not just merely a change in OS.

Good point WHS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #25
antares

Windows XP Professional SP3/Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryU2K View Post
Buy a prebuilt rig for Windows 7 and use the Pentium 4 with XP.
Unless you have a powerful video card, i wouldn't bother upgrading...
I have an ATI ALL IN WONDER X800XT. According to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor it can handle Aero.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #26
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
Absolutely agree with you. Vista was very good. I know people who claim Vista sucks and they've never even used it!
Yet oddly enough I had people paying $100 a pop to get Vista out of their computers and put in XP... In this area Vista probably accounts for 20% of the XP sales and 50% of the pirate downloads.

It became known as the "Un-Vista" upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #27
antares

Windows XP Professional SP3/Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

From my personal experience I think that the shift from Windows 98/Me to Windows XP was the most revolutionary step for Microsoft in terms of quality in user experience. We were exposed to frequent BSODs and system reboots in 98/Me, and XP meant a huge improvement in stability/performance and reliability. Since then I haven't witnessed such a huge gap, eventhough my Windows 7 experience has been limited. So the question is, for those with more experience with Windows 7, would you consider that the shift from Windows XP to Windows 7 offers an improvement in reliability/stability/performance as big as that from Windows 98/Me to XP?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #28
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I have not had a single BSOD with Win7 in 1 year (since Beta). But I never had a BSOD in Vista either (since Febr. 1, 2007). I think many of the problems people have are self inflicted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #29
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antares View Post
From my personal experience I think that the shift from Windows 98/Me to Windows XP was the most revolutionary step for Microsoft in terms of quality in user experience. We were exposed to frequent BSODs and system reboots in 98/Me, and XP meant a huge improvement in stability/performance and reliability. Since then I haven't witnessed such a huge gap, eventhough my Windows 7 experience has been limited. So the question is, for those with more experience with Windows 7, would you consider that the shift from Windows XP to Windows 7 offers an improvement in reliability/stability/performance as big as that from Windows 98/Me to XP?
Well... just as a comment... you forgot Win2000 which, in my opinion, was far more robust and stable than XP. The actual technical leap was from Win98 (16bit) to Win2000 (32bit) and it was worth every penny.

Is Xp to 7 a similar leap... no. There's still a whole lot of XP in win7... basically they are still building on the codebase of Win2000 so I'd have to say it's evolutionary not revolutionary.

FWIW... I ran windows 2000 on a single install for 6 years... not one BSOD, never a driver problem, amost entirely error free... XP did almost as well for most of the 5 years I had it... but then I came to XP late in the game... Were it not for Win2000 not supporting HDAudio and SATA, I'd still be running it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #30
antares

Windows XP Professional SP3/Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antares View Post
From my personal experience I think that the shift from Windows 98/Me to Windows XP was the most revolutionary step for Microsoft in terms of quality in user experience. We were exposed to frequent BSODs and system reboots in 98/Me, and XP meant a huge improvement in stability/performance and reliability. Since then I haven't witnessed such a huge gap, eventhough my Windows 7 experience has been limited. So the question is, for those with more experience with Windows 7, would you consider that the shift from Windows XP to Windows 7 offers an improvement in reliability/stability/performance as big as that from Windows 98/Me to XP?
Well... just as a comment... you forgot Win2000 which, in my opinion, was far more robust and stable than XP. The actual technical leap was from Win98 (16bit) to Win2000 (32bit) and it was worth every penny.

Is Xp to 7 a similar leap... no. There's still a whole lot of XP in win7... basically they are still building on the codebase of Win2000 so I'd have to say it's evolutionary not revolutionary.

FWIW... I ran windows 2000 on a single install for 6 years... not one BSOD, never a driver problem, amost entirely error free... XP did almost as well for most of the 5 years I had it... but then I came to XP late in the game... Were it not for Win2000 not supporting HDAudio and SATA, I'd still be running it.
I did not mention Win2000 since I had no experience with it, but got the same feedback as yours from people I know. And yes, I agree that Windows 7 is evolutionary, not revolutionary, that's why I'm not that much excited about it, except from maybe jumping to 64bit for video and photo editing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Should I upgrade to Win7?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to recover Win7 Pro upgrade from Win7 Home Premium post HDD crash
Greetings - This is my first time here and am very thankful for this great collection of forums and this community. I am trying to recover from a VAIO laptop HDD crash to Win7 Professional upgrade. I had finished working, shutdown Win7 Pro. cleanly. Drove home, attempted to launch Windows...
General Discussion
dual boot win7 & winxp separate drives OR upgrade to win7 professional
I've researched for awhile now & can't seem to find which is the best way to add winxp functionality to my laptop. I have office xp professional, painter7 & photopaint8 software that worked fine on winxp 32 bit thru sp3. New laptop is win7 home premium 64bit. Two 500gb hard drives. Which is...
Software
Upgrade Win7 starter using win7 upgrade software for Vista?
I have 2 netbooks with windows7 starter edition on them, I reently purchased an upgrade family pack from Ebay and mistakenly didn't releaze it was software to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows7 Home Premium edition. Before I break the seal, I was wondering if this would work, can I use this...
Installation & Setup
Move Win7 Upgrade Version to New Drive Without Win7 Installation DVD
Hi, I purchased a windows vista-windows 7 upgrade for $30 from a student deal here in canada. The method of installation was a simple .exe file which ran a sort of setup which automatically upgraded to windows 7. Now I have win7 professional 64 bit on my PC, and I just bought a new solid state...
Installation & Setup
Win7 (32bit) to Win7 (64bit) upgrade install error
Hello I have purchased and downloaded both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows7 Professional (no CDs or media here only download version) I sucessfully upgraded from Vista 32 to Win7 32 Then I upgraded my hard disk (140Gb 500GB) and RAM (3GB to to 4GB) Now I would like to go from Win7 32bit...
Installation & Setup
Win7 Pro 64bit Upgrade Key w/ Prem 32bit Upgrade Disk
To avoid the Student Win 7 hassle (upgrading Vista 32 to Win 7 Pro 64 bit ISO burn, etc), can I simply use the Home Prem 32 Upgrade (for my other computer) arriving this afternoon with my 64bit Pro upgrade key & end up with the 64bit Pro installation? Thanks.
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App