Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 awkward feel, missing WinXP, need advice

15 Apr 2010   #71
Nick2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I want a fast way to switch from icons to thumbnails and viceversa, just like XP had. I've attached a picture.

I want to stop the previews that folders have when they store pictures, in fact I want to completely change the icon, to the one that XP has for folders.
I want to change the fonts to the ones that XP uses.
They are better suited for me. http://pix.defcon5.biz/files/33532792111776630271.png

I want to stop all those previews for taskbar/alt+tab, I don't need them.

I'm installing the classic shell at the moment.




Attached Images
Windows 7 awkward feel, missing WinXP, need advice-clipboard-1.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Apr 2010   #72
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick2 View Post
I want a fast way to switch from icons to thumbnails and viceversa, just like XP had. I've attached a picture.

I want to stop the previews that folders have when they store pictures, in fact I want to completely change the icon, to the one that XP has for folders.
I want to change the fonts to the ones that XP uses.
They are better suited for me. http://pix.defcon5.biz/files/33532792111776630271.png

I want to stop all those previews for taskbar/alt+tab, I don't need them.

I'm installing the classic shell at the moment.
The View option you want is still there, it just got expanded a little bit... I usually hold control and scroll to change View settings

Added: To change Font settings, right click desktop -> personalize -> Window color -> Advanced appearance settings...
go crazy in there...



zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #73
Nick2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Control+scroll shrinks my files up to "list". I don't want this. I want to maintain the size to medium icons and stop the preview.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Apr 2010   #74
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick2 View Post
Control+scroll shrinks my files up to "list". I don't want this. I want to maintain the size to medium icons and stop the preview.
In an explorer window -> Organize -> Folder and search options -> view tab -> Always show icons, never thumbnails <-- check that.

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #75
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Nick, I have read thru all your posts and think that you will never be happy with Windows7. By the time you have applied all the tweaks that have been suggested, your Windows7 may be disfunctional. What you want is a VW of the 50's or a Ford Model T that you can deal with using a pair of pliers and a hammer. But what you got is a 2010 BMW with all the electronic gizmos that will just not live up to your expectations because it has too many basic functions that you dislike.
I suggest you stay on XP. I have a neighbor that is still on Windows ME and he is happy. No reason that you could not operate with XP for the forthcomng years. Then you have the system environment that you like. Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #76
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Nick, I have read thru all your posts and think that you will never be happy with Windows7. By the time you have applied all the tweaks that have been suggested, your Windows7 may be disfunctional. What you want is a VW of the 50's or a Ford Model T that you can deal with using a pair of pliers and a hammer. But what you got is a 2010 BMW with all the electronic gizmos that will just not live up to your expectations because it has too many basic functions that you dislike.
I suggest you stay on XP. I have a neighbor that is still on Windows ME and he is happy. No reason that you could not operate with XP for the forthcomng years. Then you have the system environment that you like. Good luck.
WHS's advice is spot on. Nick, you have a mindset against learning and using Win 7 as it is. If XP works for you, stay with it. You will continually be frustrated if you try to make Win 7 like XP. Win7 is not XP and you cannot make it into XP. It is what it is. Learn it, learn to use it or stay with XP.

I am not flaming you in anyway. I like XP, too and my wife is very happy with her XP. It works for her and she has no reason to change and learn Win 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #77
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Nick,

I too would agree. Just stick with XP..it has critical update support for 4 more years I believe...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #78
Nick2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I can't stay with XP because I need 64bit. If only Microsoft had done XP x64 as they should. But no, why would they have done that? They would have ruined the sales for Vista/7 x64.

I have to tweak the 7 until I'll find an acceptable compromise.

I just can't understand what were they thinking when they ditched the XP's shell. Why?
Why don't they care about their customers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #79
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

They ditched the XP shell because that was not nice - and very homely. At least in my book.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #80
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick2 View Post
I can't stay with XP because I need 64bit. If only Microsoft had done XP x64 as they should. But no, why would they have done that? They would have ruined the sales for Vista/7 x64.

I have to tweak the 7 until I'll find an acceptable compromise.

I just can't understand what were they thinking when they ditched the XP's shell. Why?
Why don't they care about their customers?
This isn't meant as a criticism but I think you are in the minority as far as wanting windows 7 to look and feel like XP. There are people that want that but I think the vast majority (myself included) like the new look and functionality of windows 7. It's not so much that Microsoft doesn't care its just that at some point you have to move on. I consider myself pretty tech savvy but I did struggle a little bit at first with where things were and the new way of doing some things. The more I use 7 though the more I realize I could never go back to XP. Just my 2 cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 awkward feel, missing WinXP, need advice




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Triple boot setup (Linux, Win7, WinXP); XP reports NTLDR missing
After considerable tinkering I've managed to properly partition and install three operating systems in my netbook - Linux Mint Debian Edition, which I use normally; Windows 7, which I use when I need some Windows-specific application that is unavailable in Linux; and Windows XP, which I use...
Installation & Setup
Microsoft reveals Windows 10, Well this is awkward!
I think John's is going to have to rename the new windows 9 forum source BBC News - Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system www.tenforums.com
News
WinXP Ethernet Driver Missing, Custom PC
I just reinstalled WinXP SP3 on my computer and plugged in my ethernet cable to the mobo's slot. It doesnt recognize it so I'm assuming the driver is uninstalled, but I can't find it in Device Manager. The PC is custom so I am not sure on how to get the correct drivers to get the internet working....
Hardware & Devices
Awkward at flirting? There's a class for that...
59w6fzjamU0
Chillout Room
it is an awkward
I am looking for the key number of win 7. Is it possible i can get one or activation window software Thanks Tuan Tran
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App