Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Remembering drive letters

15 Apr 2010   #11
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
Nothing, as far as I know.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
Interesting... but why do I need a 3rd party app to do what Win7 did perfectly well until a few days ago?
It would be impossible to fix this without knowing what happened between those few days ago. Did you install anything? Change any settings? Kicked the dog?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Apr 2010   #12
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

As long its the same computer and the same port, you may be able to assign a permanent letter if you go through the msc like this:

1) Click on Start button, type "Compmgmt.msc", then hit enter.
2) In the window that opens, expand "Storage" in the left pane, then click on "Disk Management".
3) In the right pane, right click on your USB drive, then click on "Change drive letter and paths...".
4) In the small window that pops up saying Allow access...., click on "Change" at the bottom.
5) In the next popup, click on "Assign the following drive letter:" and choose one from the drop down list that appears.
6) Click OK, OK till all windows are closed.

Test if it works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #13
HankAZ

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
As long its the same computer and the same port, you may be able to assign a permanent letter if you go through the msc like this:

1) Click on Start button, type "Compmgmt.msc", then hit enter.
2) In the window that opens, expand "Storage" in the left pane, then click on "Disk Management".
3) In the right pane, right click on your USB drive, then click on "Change drive letter and paths...".
4) In the small window that pops up saying Allow access...., click on "Change" at the bottom.
5) In the next popup, click on "Assign the following drive letter:" and choose one from the drop down list that appears.
6) Click OK, OK till all windows are closed.

Test if it works.
Uh, no, it didn't work.

That is how I set it up when I got this laptop about 6 months ago. That was how I set up my previous computer over 3 years ago... and again after I upgraded it to Win7 about 8 months ago.

When I disconnected the external drives and reconnected them (after 7 months of it remembering the drive letters), it lost its mind and assigned different drive letters. Then I went back into the disk management applet and had to set it up again (using the same process that I had used originally, and the one that everyone suggests that I use to "fix" it)... still no go.

It would not be a huge deal except that these external drives are used to store backups that are created van automated process that requires specific data paths for the destination...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Apr 2010   #14
imacken

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Why doesn't MS get rid of the whole drive letter thing anyway?
Surely it's just a legacy thing that has no place in a modern OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #15
pyx

Windows 7 pro 64bit
 
 

To disable the System Maintenance troubleshooter, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Under System and Security, click Find and fix problems.
On the left navigation pane, click Change settings.
Set Computer Maintenance to Off.

Works for my so far.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #16
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

HankAZ
I have read carefully what you have said about the USB hub but have you tried connecting one of your drives "X" or "Y" directly to the USB port on the PC. Just to test it's not a hub issue which I think it might be!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #17
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Why doesn't MS get rid of the whole drive letter thing anyway?
Surely it's just a legacy thing that has no place in a modern OS.
They did sort of. You can set Windows 7 to not display them if you want. I've done it on my system. As long as you use good volume labels it shouldn't be a problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #18
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Why doesn't MS get rid of the whole drive letter thing anyway?
Surely it's just a legacy thing that has no place in a modern OS.
They did sort of. You can set Windows 7 to not display them if you want. I've done it on my system. As long as you use good volume labels it shouldn't be a problem.
But I use a video editing program that like most, I believe, only stores the links and instructions, like transistions, effects, titles etc to video clips not the actual clips. The project files are text based files containing just these instructions and links. As most of my contacts in the video world store their actual clips on external hard drives and often work on more than one computer it is importatnt that the drive letters stay consistent. If they don't when you open a project you get the dreaded "Clips need relinking". That's why most of us designate drive letters at the top end of the alphabet so they don't get altered when Windows throws the occassional wobbly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #19
HankAZ

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pyx View Post
To disable the System Maintenance troubleshooter, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Under System and Security, click Find and fix problems.
On the left navigation pane, click Change settings.
Set Computer Maintenance to Off.

Works for my so far.
What is this all about? Are you suggesting that the System Maintenance troubleshooter has suddenly started "fixing" things and is responsible for this? I don't really see how... once the drives are connected, their drive letters remain consistent with whatever they happen to be. The only issue is when I reconnect them to my system, that the system itself assigns the next sequential drive letters to the drives, not the ones that I had manually assigned via the manage disk storage applet.

I don't see how this "fix" is germane.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #20
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Why doesn't MS get rid of the whole drive letter thing anyway?
Surely it's just a legacy thing that has no place in a modern OS.
They did sort of. You can set Windows 7 to not display them if you want. I've done it on my system. As long as you use good volume labels it shouldn't be a problem.
But I use a video editing program that like most, I believe, only stores the links and instructions, like transistions, effects, titles etc to video clips not the actual clips. The project files are text based files containing just these instructions and links. As most of my contacts in the video world store their actual clips on external hard drives and often work on more than one computer it is importatnt that the drive letters stay consistent. If they don't when you open a project you get the dreaded "Clips need relinking". That's why most of us designate drive letters at the top end of the alphabet so they don't get altered when Windows throws the occassional wobbly.
Fair enough, my guess is it was patch Tuesday that messed things up for you. Just reassign them and see how long they stick. In reference to what I said above, the drive letters are still there, they are just hidden. It's just a visual thing, stuff gets sorted by volume label instead of drive letter. I personally like the clean look with them hidden.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Remembering drive letters




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
MagicDisc won't assign drive letters (virtual drive help)
I've just got myself a new PC here, and I'm in need of a virtual hard drive or two. My laptop which I still use has been running MagicISO/MagicDisc for a long time now and never had a problem. Since both computers are on win7, I figured it would be the same situation on the desktop, but MagicDisc...
Software
Why would Windows 7 assign drive letters oddly on an internal drive?
I've spent several hours doing searches trying to find a reason for the way drive letters have been assigned on a new system I put together today. Every system I have ever configured (starting in the late 80's) with 2 internal drives the first partition on the boot drive is C: and first partition...
General Discussion
Win 7 drive letters - please help
When I had win 7 installed for me I had some of the drive letters changed. I cant remember which but I think it was the DVD drives. I have 3 hard drives and 3 cd rom and dvd drives. I am desperate to change back to the letters Win 7 auto assigned. Can anyone tell me if this is possible as I don't...
Hardware & Devices
Windows Explorer: Display Drive Letters Before Drive Names
Pretty useful modification if you have long drive names, or are just particular about your layout. https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3265-drive-letters-show-before-after-name-computer.html
General Discussion
Different Drive Letters appear in XP and Win 7 ?
Hi there, Yesterday I decided to install XP alongside my Windows 7, in order to make it a dual boot. Before Installing XP, I had Win 7 taking up my entire hdd as well as the standard 100mb System Reserved Partition that is usually created when installing Win 7. So when I went to install XP, I...
Installation & Setup
Drive letters...
After a recent HDD failure, my manufacturer sent me a new one, as my warranty is still valid. After I purchased the full version of Windows 7 Professional, I burned it onto a disk, and booted my computer from the CD rom drive. It's only an 80 GB hard drive, but I had 4 partitions. 1. (EISA Config),...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App