Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Context Menu Going Left Not Right

28 Apr 2010   #1
duff916

Windows XP x64, Windows 7 x64
 
 
Context Menu Going Left Not Right

Hi,

When I right click in any window or on the desktop for the context menu it goes to the left and not to the right like it normally should. An example would be if I were to right click in Windows Explorer and choose "View" the sub menu would appear to the left and not the right. I am finding this highly annoying as I am used to it going to the right.

Does anyone know of a regedit or any kind of option to change this behavior?

I've tried to change my mouse to left handed and then back to right handed but that didn't change a thing.

Any advise to fixing this problem would be great!

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks for any help,
duff916


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Apr 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by duff916 View Post
Hi,

When I right click in any window or on the desktop for the context menu it goes to the left and not to the right like it normally should. An example would be if I were to right click in Windows Explorer and choose "View" the sub menu would appear to the left and not the right. I am finding this highly annoying as I am used to it going to the right.

Does anyone know of a regedit or any kind of option to change this behavior?

I've tried to change my mouse to left handed and then back to right handed but that didn't change a thing.

Any advise to fixing this problem would be great!

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks for any help,
duff916
One was posted here on SF yesterday. All you need to do is search for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #3
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

duff916, welcome to the forums.

This is the thread that Ken was referring to,

April 4/27/2010 Windows 7 x64 updates = menu problem

and this is the tutorial to fix it,

Menus Open to the Left or Right Side
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Apr 2010   #4
duff916

Windows XP x64, Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by duff916 View Post
Hi,

When I right click in any window or on the desktop for the context menu it goes to the left and not to the right like it normally should. An example would be if I were to right click in Windows Explorer and choose "View" the sub menu would appear to the left and not the right. I am finding this highly annoying as I am used to it going to the right.

Does anyone know of a regedit or any kind of option to change this behavior?

I've tried to change my mouse to left handed and then back to right handed but that didn't change a thing.

Any advise to fixing this problem would be great!

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks for any help,
duff916
One was posted here on SF yesterday. All you need to do is search for it.

I did a search before I posted this and I didn't find anything. I'll search again.

Thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #5
duff916

Windows XP x64, Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
duff916, welcome to the forums.

This is the thread that Ken was referring to,

April 4/27/2010 Windows 7 x64 updates = menu problem

and this is the tutorial to fix it,

Menus Open to the Left or Right Side

Thanks!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #6
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You're welcome.

You never would have found it searching using "context menu" as the word context isn't in the thread at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #7
duff916

Windows XP x64, Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
You're welcome.

You never would have found it searching using "context menu" as the word context isn't in the thread at all.

That's what I was searching for too, "Context Menu".

Thanks again for your help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #8
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
You're welcome.

You never would have found it searching using "context menu" as the word context isn't in the thread at all.
Yeah, sometimes it's tough to apprehend things taken out of context.


Context Menu Going Left Not Right-lol-045.gif


My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #9
duff916

Windows XP x64, Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
You're welcome.

You never would have found it searching using "context menu" as the word context isn't in the thread at all.
Yeah, sometimes it's tough to apprehend things taken out of context.


Attachment 70019

But that's what the menu is called am I not correct? Context Menu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #10
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Duff,

Yes, but that tutorial also affects all menus (ex: Menu bar) opening to the left or right and not just the context menu. I've added context menu in it's tags and content to help find it better when searching for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Context Menu Going Left Not Right




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Context menu (right click menu) Icons missing in Basic Theme
I've exhausted all my options and spend weeks looking and trying different solutions. If I disable Theme and Desktop Window Manager Session Manager than I can no longer use Aero themes which is fine b/c I only use classic Basic theme anyway and I prefer this over Aero. Problem is when I...
General Discussion
Left mouse click brings up right-click context menu continually
Hello, When I use my left click mouse button, the right click content menu keeps appearing. This happens often, but not everytime I click on the left mouse button. This is very annoying. I have gone into the Mouse Properties and the "Switch Primary and Secondary Buttons" box under the buttons...
Hardware & Devices
Context Menu - Create Cascading Menu of Multiple Layers
How to Create a Desktop Cascading Context Menu of Multiple Layers in Windows This tutorial will help show you how to build your own cascading context menu on the desktop in Windows 7 and Windows 8. Therefore, stop reading and make yourself a list of 12 programs that can be divided into...
Tutorials
How do I move context menu items into a cascading context menu?
Okay, I'm not sure if this can be done as easily as I'm hoping. What I'm wanting to do is move already existing context menu items into a cascading context menu to organize and reduce clutter. For instance, I would have a cascading menu named "Scan with" and inside it would be avast! Internet...
Customization
Left click brings up right click context menu on desktop
For the last few weeks whenever I left click on the desktop it brings the right click menu. This dosen't happen in the browser (firefox), but only in the windows desktop and start menu. However i the browser if I am on a web player like youtube, the portion that displays the video fails to display...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App