Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Search never concludes

08 May 2010   #1
abax2000

w7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
Search never concludes

Whenever I use the Search box (upper right corner) in Windows Explorer to search for a file, the Search does not conclude.
The green bar in upper left box (Search results in ...) keeps moving to the right up to a point within the far right X box and then stops. No matter how much I wait, it does not get to the end.

Any suggestions?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 May 2010   #2
pezzonovante

Windows 7 RTM x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by abax2000 View Post
Whenever I use the Search box (upper right corner) in Windows Explorer to search for a file, the Search does not conclude.
The green bar in upper left box (Search results in ...) keeps moving to the right up to a point within the far right X box and then stops. No matter how much I wait, it does not get to the end.

Any suggestions?
Have you changed any settings related to Search/Indexing since installing Windows 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2010   #3
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Type what you're looking for in the 'start' search box. click on the start orb and search from there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 May 2010   #4
abax2000

w7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pezzonovante View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by abax2000 View Post
Whenever I use the Search box (upper right corner) in Windows Explorer to search for a file, the Search does not conclude.
The green bar in upper left box (Search results in ...) keeps moving to the right up to a point within the far right X box and then stops. No matter how much I wait, it does not get to the end.

Any suggestions?
Have you changed any settings related to Search/Indexing since installing Windows 7?
I have recently disabled these services, but this behaviour is the same before and after disabling. Do you get the same thing in your system?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 May 2010   #5
abax2000

w7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Type what you're looking for in the 'start' search box. click on the start orb and search from there.
whenever I do that, Windows explorer is opened with "no items match your search" message.
At least, starting from within Windows Explorer I gat results but with the issue I have reported.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 May 2010   #6
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

In 'services', is Windows Search set to automatic and is it started?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2010   #7
abax2000

w7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
In 'services', is Windows Search set to automatic and is it started?
see my answer to pezzonovante above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2010   #8
abax2000

w7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

anyone??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2010   #9
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

See if the "hot fix" How To Fix Windows 7 Search Problems helps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2010   #10
abax2000

w7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

thnx but it did not cut it (I do not have this entry in my Registry).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Search never concludes




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
lost search term in outlook mail search
I use the search tool that comes up when you click on the spy glass in outlook 2010. I noticed the FROM: search term is missing now in the search terms available. How do I get it back? I attached a screen grab to show the window I am talking about.
Microsoft Office
How to remove search for computers and search for people start menu
Hello all first post so go easy :) i am trying to discover if there is a registry hack that will remove the search for computers and search for people links from the search tab on start menu (windows 7), any help greatly appreiciated. kind regards Uraken
Performance & Maintenance
Forum Search issue: Google search links don't work Fx 5.0
Hi: Not sure if this is the correct place to post, so please move, as needed. New problem just appeared: Google search links ONLY HERE AT THIS FORUM don't work in Firefox 5. Same links work fine in IE9. Absolutely zero/none/nada issues with Firefox 5 anywhere else, including every other...
Chillout Room
Windows 7 search files and folders vs Outlook 2007 search
Hello, Can someone tell me some specifics and pinpoint the differences (or maybe a good website) that would pinpoint the differences between the Windows 7 search and the outlook 2007 search? I know the outlook search searches through email but are there other difference I am overlooking between...
General Discussion
Start Search broken, doesn't return search.
I'm not really sure how to explain this and this is my first post so I think I will just show you, yeah, that's probably the best way. The best way I see to explain it is instead of a list of the files and programs found in the start search showing up it just shows a few files like Documents.file,...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App