Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Benefits of a CPU upgrade?

17 Jun 2010   #11
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
It only stands to reason really as the cpu is the brain of our systems, forever receiving and giving feedback so if you have got four/six brains the more efficient the multitasking will be.
Assuming you are using software that's able to use four cores over one or two. For example, many games in the past few years won't perform any better on a Quad2Core than a similar clock speed Core2Duo. Those extra two cores sit idle. With something like Handbrake, you can see a nearly 50% drop in encoding times because those two extra cores will be fully utilized. I saw this first hand when I switch from an E8400 to a Q9550. My Handbrake times dropped dramatically, but yet most gaming scores remained roughly the same.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Jun 2010   #12
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bilzmale View Post
I have the same MB but am upgrading to a 785/710 chipset MB that will tale my AM2 cpu and allow future upgrade to AM3. I'm doing it a bit at a time like you, new case this time round and an extra internal HDD.
Which board, as most of the 785/710 boards are AM3 and DDR3 only?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2010   #13
RST101

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
It only stands to reason really as the cpu is the brain of our systems, forever receiving and giving feedback so if you have got four/six brains the more efficient the multitasking will be.
Assuming you are using software that's able to use four cores over one or two. For example, many games in the past few years won't perform any better on a Quad2Core than a similar clock speed Core2Duo. Those extra two cores sit idle. With something like Handbrake, you can see a nearly 50% drop in encoding times because those two extra cores will be fully utilized. I saw this first hand when I switch from an E8400 to a Q9550. My Handbrake times dropped dramatically, but yet most gaming scores remained roughly the same.
Sorry for the confusion here squire but I was referring to the fact quads are able to perform several duties at once and not just a single application.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jun 2010   #14
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
It only stands to reason really as the cpu is the brain of our systems, forever receiving and giving feedback so if you have got four/six brains the more efficient the multitasking will be.
Assuming you are using software that's able to use four cores over one or two. For example, many games in the past few years won't perform any better on a Quad2Core than a similar clock speed Core2Duo. Those extra two cores sit idle. With something like Handbrake, you can see a nearly 50% drop in encoding times because those two extra cores will be fully utilized. I saw this first hand when I switch from an E8400 to a Q9550. My Handbrake times dropped dramatically, but yet most gaming scores remained roughly the same.
Sorry for the confusion here squire but I was referring to the fact quads are able to perform several duties at once and not just a single application.
That is the theory, but to be honest, I have never seen it used like that.

Then again, my use with 4 or 5 FF windows and iTunes running doesn't even stress core 0.
Though I have noticed that minimizing certain games will kick CPU core 3 through to about 80%. And other games see a rise in all cores.
Then again, I think this is because the mobo, CPU, and OS know to swap tasks amongst cores.

Either way, there is an advantage to them. Most average users would not notice a huge jump though.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2010   #15
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bilzmale View Post
I have the same MB but am upgrading to a 785/710 chipset MB that will tale my AM2 cpu and allow future upgrade to AM3. I'm doing it a bit at a time like you, new case this time round and an extra internal HDD.
Which board, as most of the 785/710 boards are AM3 and DDR3 only?
Thats a good point, I had to read up on that. I thought it was all back wards compatible, but it is and it isn't. AM3 CPU's like mine can handle DDR2 and DDR3 and work in a AM2+ or AM3 socket motherboard. AM2 CPU's like the OPs can only handle DDR2 and therefore won't work in an AM3 socket motherboard. It's good for me, my motherboard is AM2+ and my CPU is AM3, not so good for bilzmale. He has the same motherboard but an AM2 CPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2010   #16
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
That is the theory, but to be honest, I have never seen it used like that.
Exactly.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
Sorry for the confusion here squire but I was referring to the fact quads are able to perform several duties at once and not just a single application.
Sorry to say, squire, it doesn't always work as it should in theory. In theory, two multi-threaded apps could use two cores each, and be just as fast as a dual core, but be able to finish two tasks rather than one. In theory. However, it rarely, if ever works this way. If you have a Quad Core, fire up two intensive apps, and you'll likely see they aren't splitting the cores in half for each job. What you'll likely see in your usage graphs is that all four cores are in use in vastly different percentages.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Benefits of a CPU upgrade?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Separate HDD benefits?
Many PC gamers use another set of internal hard drive to install their games in. This is what gets me confused as to how it benefits? Recordings also are put in that same hard drive. So the in depth question is should games and recordings be installed on the same drive as the OS? And having a 5400...
Hardware & Devices
Benefits of Win7 SP1? - if any
Hi all - somewhere down the line Win7 SP1 managed to get removed - obviously something I did somewhere. Have tried the update route and it comes up with the infamous 80073712 error. Have run Windows6.1-KB947821-v26-x64.msu with Avast and Malwarebytes disabled. Then tried to apply...
General Discussion
Benefits of 64 bit?
Hi-yah everyone, I've got a 64 bit system, and I'm just wondering the things 64 bit can do over 32 bit. I know 32 bit maxes out a 3.5 gigs, so with 64 bit I know you can use all 4 gb for my system, but what are other good things about the x64 architecture? I like asking you guys because you make it...
Hardware & Devices
I need to know the Benefits of these two cpu's
Ok I am posting this because later this week i plan on upgrading my phenom II X4 2.8 OC'ED TO 3.22 EITHER A 965 BE OR 1090T Obviously the 965 is cheaper by 100.00 but honestly do i even need a Hex cpu ? My specs are listed and just want to know what would be a smarter buy i am currently gamming...
Hardware & Devices
what are the benefits?
if you go firefox options it says allow firefox to store "blah" MB on my computer, what will happen if you put it to 1 gb
Browsers & Mail
CPU upgrade benefits?
Just upgraded to 64 bit, new mobo and more RAM. The Mobo supports my AM2 Athlon X2 5400+ but also accepts all AM3 cpu's.. I am looking at a AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 3.2GHz. What sort of performance increase can I expect? My 'heaviest' progs are Photoshop CS4 64 bit, Lightroom 3 64 bit...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App