Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer Taken over by GOD :P

22 Jul 2010   #21
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Everything I see talks about unlocking it, not removing it. I found one thing that was, but it was poorly written and some of the instructions made no sense. Deacon probably knows. Check back tomorrow morning.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jul 2010   #22
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Yes, absolutely. It's been a pretty well known trick, Easter Egg, whatever you want to call it, in the enthusiast arena since a little after Windows 7 was release last August. If you create a new folder with a specific name and character string, you'll get the GodMode folder, which gives you access to many configuration options in your system, all in one place. That's why I'm telling the OP that it just doesn't happen by mistake.

Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode' | Beyond Binary - CNET News
You learn something new everyday. Thanks for providing this info. And yeah, that folder can't appear by itself. So if someone has it and "they" didn't put it there.... be wary, some is hacking your system.

On the other hand this is a handy hack for the "end user" as it's sort of a one stop does all mode. Just remember, IF YOU DIDN'T PUT IT THERE, THERE IS A PROBLEM!!!

Thanks for the info DeaconFrost.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2010   #23
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Yes, absolutely. It's been a pretty well known trick, Easter Egg, whatever you want to call it, in the enthusiast arena since a little after Windows 7 was release last August. If you create a new folder with a specific name and character string, you'll get the GodMode folder, which gives you access to many configuration options in your system, all in one place. That's why I'm telling the OP that it just doesn't happen by mistake.

Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode' | Beyond Binary - CNET News
You learn something new everyday. Thanks for providing this info. And yeah, that folder can't appear by itself. So if someone has it and "they" didn't put it there.... be wary, some is hacking your system.

On the other hand this is a handy hack for the "end user" as it's sort of a one stop does all mode. Just remember, IF YOU DIDN'T PUT IT THERE, THERE IS A PROBLEM!!!

Thanks for the info DeaconFrost.
There's also a tutorial here for that "God Mode",

Control Panel All Tasks List Shortcut
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jul 2010   #24
Magoo

Window 7 x64
 
 

OK thanks for the info, I did create the godmode shortcut on my desktop about 2 weeks ago and deleted it sucessfully a few days later and suddenly a week later it just started appearing on its own.. Also it happens with no cable plugged into the nic even after I delete it. No other Wierdness going on either. HJT log is clean.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #25
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

If you created it two weeks ago why did you wait to now to tell us this. We were worried your system was seriously compromised. Telling us you had created it would have saved us some time. It is probably something in the registry or something. Google search "remove god mode 64bit vista". You will find something on how to delete it from the registry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #26
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
If you created it two weeks ago why did you wait to now to tell us this. We were worried your system was seriously compromised. Telling us you had created it would have saved us some time. It is probably something in the registry or something. Google search "remove god mode 64bit vista". You will find something on how to delete it from the registry.

Good point, see if this helps,

How to remove GodMode from Vista (64bit) Random Technical Thoughts
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #27
Magoo

Window 7 x64
 
 

Sorry about that guys, I created the shortcut on my desktop and deleted it went away permanently for I gotta say a week, 10 days.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #28
win7clutz

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
 
 

It's hard to believe that any malware or spyware would create a shortcut to a tool that may improve a users experience. Hardly what you'd call malicious!

Have you run system restore since you deleted it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #29
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Thanks for the info DeaconFrost.
Glad I could help! I use GodMode all the time.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by win7clutz View Post
It's hard to believe that any malware or spyware would create a shortcut to a tool that may improve a users experience. Hardly what you'd call malicious!
That's why I said it most likely wouldn't be malware, but evidence of a hack. Imagine, if you wanted to screw up someone's system, what you could do to that system if you were remotely viewing/controlling their computer, and had a GodMode shortcut. You could pretty much do anything you wanted to the system.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
OK thanks for the info, I did create the godmode shortcut on my desktop
I just have to ask....why did it take so long, and so many posts by you...to tell us this simple point? That changes everything!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #30
Magoo

Window 7 x64
 
 

I guess it just slipped my mind, I made a few weeks back and then deleted , just bassically to check it out , deleted like the next day and never seen it since , till a couple days ago when it just appears randomly at boot up. Haven' t done a system restore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer Taken over by GOD :P




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
computer literate person watching a newbie at work on the computer
Hope you all like this made me laugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflmao: fa9DLxDtPtc
Chillout Room
Disappearing Icons, Computer Crashes, BSOD, computer unusable
I have been having a long running problem with my computer. It started out as a lack of internet access which turned out tI o be a bad virus. I fixed that problem by doing a complete reformat of my system. I thought that that would fix the problem and it did for a bit. After a week or so I...
General Discussion
Copying files from remote computer slows down local computer
I have a shared folder on my server. I copy files from a shared folder from another computer. The files total size is approximately ~120MB. This takes ~ 30 seconds or so. Ihaven't measured the time. It is a bit slow, but that's not the main problem. The server gets unresponsive while the files...
Network & Sharing
New computer build, works smooth but internet issues on sole computer
Hey people, sorry if the title is not very detailed or so, what I am having trouble with is my Download speed and browser speed Little backstory: I created a new build recently (tuesday) and i've been spending every night since then for hours on end trying to fix this issue, every other computer...
Network & Sharing
Dell Computer PC will not load Windows install CD from computer crash
I have a two year old Dell PC with Windows 7. I got a virus in my computer that by phone and computer takeover Norton located in my MBR. When they cleaned it my computer will no longer boot up. Norton worked with me for three days on the problem but we were unable to fix the computer. I...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+