Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Disabling Administrator Account

25 Jul 2010   #11
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Never disable the account named "Administrator"...this is a bad, bad, bad idea. Give it a ridiculously difficult password, but don't disable it. Trust me, you'll need it one day and regret it.
The thing is, it's disabled by default in windows 7. I tweak my system and sometimes go where no one has gone before. I may need that account to bail myself out afterwards, so I enable it and password protect it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jul 2010   #12
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

OK here is a tweak I use on windows XP to "show" the admin on the welcome screen.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
"Administrator"=dword:00000001

If you change the dword to 00000000 the admin account will not show up on your welcome screen. I just tried it on my W7 system and I could remove "hide" and put it back by editing that key. Your milage may vary and do so at your own risk.

EDIT: While this tweak doesn't disable the admin account, it just hides it from the welcome screen, once you hid it I'm not sure how you can ever logon to it again. Switch Users just brings up the welcome screen with no admin account to click. In XP you could hit ctrl > alt > del twice and then type in administrator, doesn't seem to work for windows 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #13
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Never disable the account named "Administrator"...this is a bad, bad, bad idea. Give it a ridiculously difficult password, but don't disable it. Trust me, you'll need it one day and regret it.
The thing is, it's disabled by default in windows 7. I tweak my system and sometimes go where no one has gone before. I may need that account to bail myself out afterwards, so I enable it and password protect it.
That's very odd. I've installed Windows 7 at least 30 times on various machines and it has never had the Administrator account disabled. Just checked it on this machine, and it's enabled, and I didn't do anything to enable it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jul 2010   #14
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Never disable the account named "Administrator"...this is a bad, bad, bad idea. Give it a ridiculously difficult password, but don't disable it. Trust me, you'll need it one day and regret it.
The thing is, it's disabled by default in windows 7. I tweak my system and sometimes go where no one has gone before. I may need that account to bail myself out afterwards, so I enable it and password protect it.
That's very odd. I've installed Windows 7 at least 30 times on various machines and it has never had the Administrator account disabled. Just checked it on this machine, and it's enabled, and I didn't do anything to enable it.
Default Administrator account, or hidden Administrator account?

Disabling Administrator Account-captureadadad222.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #15
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

I have the same question as Theog. I think we are confusing the administrator acconts.

The administrator account created when you install Windows is a limited administrator accounts - not the wide open admin account as in XP. However, you can do anything with your system through this account if you know how. It will more than suffice for most administrative tasks.

There is also a built in, hidden administrator account. This one is more wide open and closer to the admin account account in XP. To access this account, you must unhide it. Most of us do not really need this account and for the average user, I recommend that it be left hidden. Most certainly if you choose to unhide, password protect it.

For security, MS and security gurus recommend that you create a standard user account in addition to the admin account that is created when you install Windows and use this standard user account for your daily computer activities. I must confess that I do not always follow this. I do not recommend that one use the hidden administrator account for routine, daily computer use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #16
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

When I personally refer to "The Administrator" account I am referring to the built in account that has the user name "Administrator" and is an administrator account in that it has administrator privileges. Not the user account created when you install windows, that is also an administrator account and has administrator listed in the account type or description. It's my understanding that the built in Administrator account is disabled by default and has to be enabled to be used and have the password set. It didn't show up here until I enabled it.
Disabling Administrator Account-capture.gif


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #17
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
When I personally refer to "The Administrator" account I am referring to the built in account that has the user name "Administrator" and is an administrator account in that it has administrator privileges. Not the user account created when you install windows, that is also an administrator account and has administrator listed in the account type or description. It's my understanding that the built in Administrator account is disabled by default and has to be enabled to be used and have the password set. It didn't show up here until I enabled it.
Attachment 87364
Yes, you are correct. We usually refer to it as the "hidden administrator account" to avoid confusing it with the default administrator account generated upon installing Windows.

The hidden administrator account is the one that I recommend that most users leave hidden for security reasons. It should not be used for day to day, routine computer use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #18
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Some of the confusion comes from the fact that the default for windows 7 is to make any user accounts you create a member of the "administrators" group. Thus they shown Administrator as the account "type". The systems Administrator "account" is a member of the administrators "group". Disabling one (the account) doesn't disable the other (the group). I have the hidden account enabled so I can use it if my main user account gets corrupted and I can't log in to it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but if you can't log in, you can't enable the admin account, and if it's not enabled you can't log into it to try and fix the other user account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #19
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

What confusion?

Disabling Administrator Account-allpng.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #20
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
What confusion?

Attachment 87412
I think some people in this thread may be confusing the administrator "account type" with the actual user account named Administrator. In your screen shot you are selecting the type of "user account" you want that user to be, admin or standard user. That has nothing to do with enabling or disabling the usually hidden account named "Administrator". If you look at my screen shoot you will see {Kerry > Administrator > Password protected}, and {Administrator > Administrator > Password protected}. The second one, I believe, is what the OP doesn't want to see on the welcome screen. In my case it's only there because I ran "net user administrator /active:yes".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Disabling Administrator Account




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
User Administrator Account won't allow Administrator Privilages
Hi, I'm running Win 7 Pro x64 and Office 2007. I installed a Bluetooth transceiver recently and developed a problem when replying to email in Outlook 2007. When I select an email to reply, the email editor pops up with a "Custom UI Runtime Error in Send to Bluetooth." The solution to this issue...
General Discussion
User account corrupted, administrator account not accessible
My Windows7 suddenly displayed a default desktop. I then did an unsuccessful system restore, tried the undo and got stuck. From there on, when I want to log in I end up at the error message "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded". I tried to activate the...
BSOD Help and Support
Quasi-Administrator account versus a true Adminstrator Account?
Hello to all, I am using W7 Ultimate 64 bits. I am have a what has been described on this forum as a quasi-administrator account. It is not called Administrator but seems to function as one. UAC prompts, when admin rights required in user accounts, this account's password will fulfil the...
General Discussion
Renaming the administrator account back to Administrator
Hi, I have an Acer laptop which came with one user account, Acer, with the administrator right. When I tried to rename it to Administrator or administrator, I got an messages saying that user name has already existed. How do I rename Acer to Administrator? Thanks.
General Discussion
Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account
I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. When I try, I get the error message listed below. I have created a second user account as Administrator...
General Discussion
Disabling Administrator Account auto login
Hi, I'm in the process of creating a build for my company using sysprep, then imagex for deploying the image. I understand that the autologin feature must be enabled in the unattended answer file for the built in administrator account to be enabled. I've done some testing and searching but...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

İ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App