Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Q9400 with GTX 480?

09 Sep 2010   #11
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wardone View Post
Will i see any difference in fps if i upgrade my ram to 800mhz?
Hmmmm maybe, but nothing significantly to be completely honest.

RAM frequency don't really affect gaming performance.

I went from a 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 @ 800Mhz kit to a 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 1333Mhz one a couple of months ago and saw 0 performance improvements in games whatsoever.

Although In your case, going from 400MHz to 800Mhz might make a difference... I don't know.

But you should definitely consider upgrading that RAM.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Sep 2010   #12
Wardone

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wardone View Post
Will i see any difference in fps if i upgrade my ram to 800mhz?
Hmmmm maybe, but nothing significantly to be completely honest.

RAM frequency don't really affect gaming performance.

I went from a 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 @ 800Mhz kit to a 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 1333Mhz one a couple of months ago and saw 0 performance improvements in games whatsoever.

Although In your case, going from 400MHz to 800Mhz might make a difference... I don't know.

But you should definitely consider upgrading that RAM.
Yeah just noticed that i had 400 mhz after i got my gtx. So i wont see new ram any time soon. To bad
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #13
Everlong

 

It won't be so much an fps increase, though you might see a boost in some areas, but it will be more in loading times of programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Sep 2010   #14
thomas242

windows 7
 
 

I have to ask are you using pc3200 or pc6400 because pc3200 ram is relay old and a PC still running that wood be god awful slow trying to run win7 in my eyes. I also like to know the make and model of dell you have so we might better inform you on the upgrades that might best fit your rig. But if I had to guess just on the info you given us. I have to say you are not running pc3200 and have ddr2 800mhz ram. And it runs at 400x2 giving you the 800mhz band with.
The other thing I have to say is dell love's to lock down its bios in a lot of their PC and I don't recommend trying to over clock it with your stock cooler in it. They make a very reliable PC but don't allays put a fans inside the case to get rid of all the excess heat over clocking will make inside that case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #15
Wardone

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thomas242 View Post
I have to ask are you using pc3200 or pc6400 because pc3200 ram is relay old and a PC still running that wood be god awful slow trying to run win7 in my eyes. I also like to know the make and model of dell you have so we might better inform you on the upgrades that might best fit your rig. But if I had to guess just on the info you given us. I have to say you are not running pc3200 and have ddr2 800mhz ram. And it runs at 400x2 giving you the 800mhz band with.
The other thing I have to say is dell love's to lock down its bios in a lot of their PC and I don't recommend trying to over clock it with your stock cooler in it. They make a very reliable PC but don't allays put a fans inside the case to get rid of all the excess heat over clocking will make inside that case.
I have HP. And yes i think you are right i am not 100% sure that i have 400mhz i have to check sometime but not a big problem. Tbh i dont think that i have 400mhz either
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #16
Rhammstein

HP Win7 Pro x64 | Custom Win7 Pro x64
 
 

You have PC2 6400 Ram which unless you've changed anything should be running at 800mhz, which is just fine for your platform.

In the future when you're ready, upgrade the Board, Cpu and Memory together and move over to DDR3 Ram. I wouldn't invest in the platform you have now, I would run it as long as possible and upgrade all of it, when necessary. That's a great video card, and will still be great down the road even, when you eventually upgrade to a newer platform.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #17
archie123

Win 10 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

its easy to check for a bottleneck , run a demanding game like crysis or bad company 2 , set everything to medium ingame and bench your fps , then set everything to high and bench again , if there is no real differance in FPS then you have a cpu bottleneck

im afraid its inevitable with that cpu and that gpu anyway , you'll struggle to max that out with a 4 gig I7 , you need a balanced system upgrading your ram wont help , maybe 1 or 2 fps you need to look at your cpu as a priority as at the moment your 480 will be seriously underperforming.

for now the only way to minimise the effect is to ramp up the antalaising , aniositropic filtering and res , if you play bad company 2 for example make sure your have all the effects such as HBAO set on , these are all gpu intensive tasks that will increase your eye candy but have little effect on fps because of your cpu.

if you can look into the q9650 or similar on the second hand market make sure its got the E0 stepping (clocks better and runs cooler and you can reach 3.8-4gig with little effort) , get a good cooling solution and overclock it , that will get you some more time before you need to spend a huge ammount on a full upgrade
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2010   #18
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wardone View Post

I have HP. And yes i think you are right i am not 100% sure that i have 400mhz i have to check sometime but not a big problem.
Download CPU-Z and check the memory and SPD tabs.

If the DRAM frequency shows as 400mhz, and/or the SPD tab shows PC2-6400 in the Max Bandwith, then you have DDR2 800 mhz ram, not DDR2 400mhz.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Q9400 with GTX 480?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Overclocking Intel Q9400
Im gona try out OC my CPU and was going to bump it up to 3.0 GHz from 2.66 as i have seen a lot of my CPU's clock well past this fine. im going to change the FSB from 333 to 375 as this would do it, and i just wanted to know if anyone else has done this on my CPU ok and if i would need to incrase...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Intel Q9400 Temperatures
I have an intel Q9400 quad core cpu with an artic cooling rev 2 and i idel at 38-40c but when i first installed the cooler it ideled at 34c so wanted to know what has happened to it and if the cooler may be failing it also works at 55c full load and not gone higher.
Hardware & Devices
Overclocking Intel Q9400
I have just got this CPU at weekend and i know that it is capable of being overclocked to a lot more than it is standard as it is 2.66GHz at the moment what would be a safe amount to go up to as i have it running a Arctic Cooling Rev2 and i idle at 36/37/36/37 and at 54/56/53/55 on load this is at...
Hardware & Devices
Intel Q8400 or Q9400
I am just about to order one of these 2 CPU's and want to know what one will be better as i will be overclocking anyway im not to bothered about the speed as i will set it to at least 3.0GHz the only difference i see is the cache so what do you think?
Hardware & Devices
Intel Q9505 or Q9400
I recently got rid of my AMD 965 as it has way to high temputures for me while gaming so i decided to get intel as they have always been fine for me and was wundering which was better Q9505 or the Q9400.
Hardware & Devices
Intel Q9400 showing as 4x Unkown Device...
In Device Manager this processor is showing as 4 unknown devices and does this anywhere that would show what the processor type is, is there a way to fix this? I'm not sure if it even has to do with being in Windows 7 7100 or not though. Forgot to say I just got this processor on May 5th so...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App