Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: DVI issue with Nvidia 6600GT

06 Jun 2009   #1
silver2wind

Windows 7 RC1
 
 
DVI issue with Nvidia 6600GT

Hey all,

I'm having a bit of an issue. I have a xerox lcd which allows both vga and dvi inputs, a 6600GT with latest windows update drivers loaded and windows 7 RC1. Now, when I use a DVI cable only, the computer will boot up perfectly and the screen will show the windows loading symbol, but as soon as it fades and the desktop should pop up I get a "no signal" message and the monitor shuts off. After much searching I had the idea to plug in a dvi to vga converter to my card which makes everything work fine. The card has 2 DVI ports and I've tried both with the same results(No signal output through DVI but works when I plug in the DVI to VGA adapter in-line).

I would still like to actually use my DVI for what it is so does anyone have any ideas as to how I can remedy this situation?

Thanks for the help


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jun 2009   #2
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Download and install the latest beta driver which works great here on my 6200A-LE.

64 bit = GeForce ForceWare 186.08 Vista and 7 64-bit download from Guru3D.com

32 bit = GeForce ForceWare 186.08 Vista and 7 32-bit download from Guru3D.com

Other than that, check your refresh rate so that it is compatible with the monitor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2009   #3
silver2wind

Windows 7 RC1
 
 

I tried the driver you suggested and the problem still persisted(plugged in the vga adapter to type this)...on top of that for whatever reason that driver does not support my monitor's native 1440x900 resolution so I have to switch back to the window's update supplied one which did. I checked the refresh rates as well and they are ok at 60hz. Thanks though
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jun 2009   #4
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Hi silver2wind and welcome to Se7en Forums

It could be a configuration setting on your monitor itself. What is the exact model number of it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2009   #5
silver2wind

Windows 7 RC1
 
 

The monitor is a xerox xr6-19dw. I also tried downloading and installing the monitor's official driver but that did not seem to change a thing.

Here's my thinking so far, let me know if I could be wrong. This isn't a monitor issue because at boot and up until windows desktop is about to show the monitor shows in dvi mode and only then blanks out and says "no input", but if right then and there I plug in the vga adapter it'll work perfectly. For this same reason it also is not a cable issue.

I tried some odd shutdown routines involving unplugging the vga at a specific time and unplugging the monitor for 10 sec with dvi only in and then restarting everything, but that didn't work either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2009   #6
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silver2wind View Post
at boot and up until windows desktop is about to show the monitor shows in dvi mode and only then blanks out and says "no input"

Yeah, that's when the video driver is loaded. If you boot into safe mode where no video driver is applied (besides standard vga), I am guessing it would work fine.

Not sure how to help further, but if it was me, I'd probably clean the system as much as possible of all ATI stuff. Remove drivers, apps, clean registry, find files by hand and delete etc...

Then reinstall either the previously mentioned beta or WHQL driver from NVIDIA's site.

Before you do that though, do you have another DVI monitor to try? Perhaps from another system?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silver2wind View Post
but if right then and there I plug in the vga adapter it'll work perfectly. For this same reason it also is not a cable issue.
That's sound thinking for the most part, but possibly the DVI uses a wire in the cable that is not necessary for VGA to work when you have the converter going. And that wire is the one that is broken, or the connections of it on either could be broken. Have you checked it out by looking if all the pins aren't bent?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2009   #7
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silver2wind View Post
Hey all,

I'm having a bit of an issue. I have a xerox lcd which allows both vga and dvi inputs, a 6600GT with latest windows update drivers loaded and windows 7 RC1. Now, when I use a DVI cable only, the computer will boot up perfectly and the screen will show the windows loading symbol, but as soon as it fades and the desktop should pop up I get a "no signal" message and the monitor shuts off. After much searching I had the idea to plug in a dvi to vga converter to my card which makes everything work fine. The card has 2 DVI ports and I've tried both with the same results(No signal output through DVI but works when I plug in the DVI to VGA adapter in-line).

I would still like to actually use my DVI for what it is so does anyone have any ideas as to how I can remedy this situation?

Thanks for the help
.
Have a look at the monitor settings. Bring up the monitor's menu and look for an option to set the input to Digital. My LCD has an Analogue Vs Digital option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2009   #8
silver2wind

Windows 7 RC1
 
 

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I uninstalled all of the nvidia drivers and the monitor drivers and started from scratch again but ended up with the same result. It seems I HAVE to use the windows update driver in order to even get the resolution of 1440x900 that my screen requires, the newer Nvidia driver just doesn't have the option.

I wish I had another monitor to test, but unfortunately I don't.

The monitor menu makes no mention of selecting the input. There is a separate "auto" button on the screen which I use to switch between inputs when I have my laptop and desktop plugged in (That doesn't apply to this problem as only the desktop is plugged in) and pressing the auto button with only one input in the monitor has no effect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2009   #9
Victek

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silver2wind View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I uninstalled all of the nvidia drivers and the monitor drivers and started from scratch again but ended up with the same result. It seems I HAVE to use the windows update driver in order to even get the resolution of 1440x900 that my screen requires, the newer Nvidia driver just doesn't have the option.

I wish I had another monitor to test, but unfortunately I don't.

The monitor menu makes no mention of selecting the input. There is a separate "auto" button on the screen which I use to switch between inputs when I have my laptop and desktop plugged in (That doesn't apply to this problem as only the desktop is plugged in) and pressing the auto button with only one input in the monitor has no effect.
.
FWIW I think the problem is with the screen and not the card/PC. Can you borrow another LCD with a DVI input to test?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2009   #10
silver2wind

Windows 7 RC1
 
 

But if it was the monitor why does it work with a DVI signal all the way up until the windows loading symbol shows up?

Either way I've been wanting to get a dvi to hdmi converter to try the computer hooked up to the tv, I guess now's a good a time as any.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 DVI issue with Nvidia 6600GT




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
NVIDIA Driver Issue
Occasionally (but getting more frequent) my screen flickers, recovers and I received the following message: "Display driver stopped responding & has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver, Version 295.73 stopped responding & has successfully recovered." I've updated my...
Drivers
Nvidia 6600GT issue
Hey everyone, Iím working on my 9 years oldís computer; an old dell 4600 with a nvidia 6600gt installed. The card worked fine under xp and vista and for the most part still works in win 7. The problem is that when the computer is running a game ie Flatout2, after a few minutes of normal play the...
Graphic Cards
Nvidia driver issue !
done
BSOD Help and Support
Nvidia 6600GT
So here is my problem guys. So I try to play World Of Warcraft and it tells me when I try to play failed to find a suitable display device so I uninstall and re install the drivers. It is still saying the same thing please any help would be outstanding. Thanks, Brian
Graphic Cards
NVIDIA LAN issue
Hello, i'm very new to dealing with computer problems and have no idea what to do I just got a new computer today with Windows 7, it has a NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 which I guess it uses to connect to the internet, but the computer is acting as if my ethernet cable isn't plugged in. (it is, lol)...
Network & Sharing
nvidia driver issue
I have an nvidia 6600 gt that i'm trying to install. When I put it in my computer windows recognized it and use the standard drivers it worked except I only got crappy resolution and such. I uninstalled (I think...best i could at least) my ati drivers and installed the nvidia driver and my...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App