Planning to upgrade your Graphics Card? Read First...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 9
    Windows 7 64 bit
       #21

    I hope the 850ax will be enough to power this system:

    Nzxt phantom
    Ga-890fxa-ud5
    Cooler master v8
    X4 970
    3x4gb modules of Kingston hyperx
    2x 6950's crossfire
    2x wd1002faex raid 0
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,304
    N/A
    Thread Starter
       #22

    ratshady said:
    I hope the 850ax will be enough to power this system:

    Nzxt phantom
    Ga-890fxa-ud5
    Cooler master v8
    X4 970
    3x4gb modules of Kingston hyperx
    2x 6950's crossfire
    2x wd1002faex raid 0
    Yeah, it will. Corsair AX series are professional ones, 80 plus gold certified, delivering 92%+ efficiency.

    You should not worry about not having enough power to give to the new rig

    Are you unlocking both 6950s to 6970s?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 9
    Windows 7 64 bit
       #23

    No!I think two 6950's in crossfire and overclocked are enough to max out any game especially BF3.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,304
    N/A
    Thread Starter
       #24

    still no problems, 2 6970s in CF only needs a 750w power supply, AX850 is.. well, 850w. No worries! Be happy!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,809
    Windows 7 64b Ultimate
       #25

    I hope the question hasn't been asked before.. but I don't understand where the powerconsumption amount (for my GTX570) comes from (in the first post). That is way more than what I researched:
    GeForce GTX 570 review

    In first post: GTX 570 600W 40A
    Is that the manufacturers overstatement?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,304
    N/A
    Thread Starter
       #26

    MvdB said:
    I hope the question hasn't been asked before.. but I don't understand where the powerconsumption amount (for my GTX570) comes from (in the first post). That is way more than what I researched:
    GeForce GTX 570 review

    In first post: GTX 570 600W 40A
    Is that the manufacturers overstatement?
    Actually, that's not only a Video Card requirement, is more of a whole system requirement and also the safe one...

    Check this quote:

    Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation: GeForce GTX 570

    • On your average system the card requires you to have a 600 Watt power supply unit.

    and this one:

    Measured power consumption
    1. System in IDLE = 181W
    2. System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 369W
    3. Difference (GPU load) = 188W
    4. Add average IDLE wattage ~ 25W
    5. Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 213 Watts

    369W the card alone in full stress, but the whole system is good with 600W and 40A on the +12V Rail..

    Hope the info helps
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1
    Windows 7 Ultimate x32
       #27

    Can my Acer Aspire 4540 upgrade its graphic card?My other friends said that it could not be done.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 2,304
    N/A
    Thread Starter
       #28

    Bftk97 said:
    Can my Acer Aspire 4540 upgrade its graphic card?My other friends said that it could not be done.
    Notebook. No it can't be upgraded. sorry
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 466
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Home Premium x64
       #29

    Just a small reminder to our readers here... Laptops generally are built for size constraint. So most of the components are integrated, IE: Not replaceable. The laptop mainboard generally will have the Video and Audio components integrated, therefore, you cannot update your graphics or sound on them.

    Some Desktop computers come with integrated Audio and Video as well. The real problem for those will be how much 'cutting' of the cost they did with the motherboard. Some manufacturers will not have the PCI Express slot (7 years ago, it used to be the lost of the AGP port) for the Video card. There is also a space constraint. So Laptops and some pre-made systems will have difficulties in upgrade paths.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,304
    N/A
    Thread Starter
       #30

    Keiichi25 said:
    Just a small reminder to our readers here... Laptops generally are built for size constraint. So most of the components are integrated, IE: Not replaceable. The laptop mainboard generally will have the Video and Audio components integrated, therefore, you cannot update your graphics or sound on them.

    Some Desktop computers come with integrated Audio and Video as well. The real problem for those will be how much 'cutting' of the cost they did with the motherboard. Some manufacturers will not have the PCI Express slot (7 years ago, it used to be the lost of the AGP port) for the Video card. There is also a space constraint. So Laptops and some pre-made systems will have difficulties in upgrade paths.
    Totally true, but i wouldn't agree with the PCIe x16 port, it's practically a mainstream port right now these days, i still haven't seen a "recent" motherboard without a PCIe 16 slots, i guess they rather sacrifice the "Legacy" PCI slots or the PCIe x1/x4 slots but having a PCIe x16 is a must for a motherboard.

    What i've seen in pre-built systems is a fairly singular problem with their custom PSUs and the fact that some of them aren't standard ATX ones, so replacing them to add a new GPU on your pre-built system, is kinda hard. Of course, this only applies to some models on some manufacturers :)
      My Computer


 
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:50.
Find Us