Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Major resolution issue

11 Jan 2009   #11
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
he has CRT....

you see with LCD tech you have a screen and set # of pixels....

his pixel res would be 1680x1050 and so that would the number of pixels...

CRT just draws the pixels and unlike CRT it wouldnt matter what res you can try it will be looking like it was natively drawn on a lcd....
Um what?
Can you explain that better please?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
Enough said, I don't beleive you know what your talking about and you have probably never seen the advantages of using a DVI cable compared to VGA so lets just try and help in the areas we know something about.
As I said in the rest of my post, I have dealt with many LCDs as everybody else I know has LCDs.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jan 2009   #12
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

These are the options he should have and anything else means that he has a problem and not by some miracle is the problem going to be some sort of blessing meaning that he needs to get back his native resolution end of story.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #13
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by I2aMpAnT View Post
Um what?
Can you explain that better please?
While CRTs are capable of displaying multiple video resolutions without introducing artifacts, LCDs produce crisp images only in their native resolution and, sometimes, fractions of that native resolution. Attempting to run LCD panels at non-native resolutions usually results in the panel scaling the image, which introduces blurriness or "blockiness" and is susceptible in general to multiple kinds of HDTV blur. Many LCDs are incapable of displaying very low resolution screen modes (such as 320x200) due to these scaling limitations.

While CRT monitors can usually display images at various resolutions
, an LCD monitor has to rely on interpolation (scaling of the image), which causes a loss of image quality. An LCD has to scale up a smaller image to fit into the area of the native resolution. This is the same principle as taking a smaller image in an image editing program and enlarging it; the smaller image loses its sharpness when it is expanded. This is especially problematic as most resolutions are in a 4:3 aspect ratio (640480, 800600, 1024768, 1280960, 16001200) but there are odd resolutions that are not, notably 12801024. If a user were to map 1024768 to a 12801024 screen there would be distortion as well as some image errors, as there is not a one-to-one mapping with regards to pixels. This results in noticeable quality loss and the image is much less sharp.

there you go...
from wiki....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2009   #14
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
These are the options he should have and anything else means that he has a problem and not by some miracle is the problem going to be some sort of blessing meaning that he needs to get back his native resolution end of story.

If you say so.

Do I see Quick-Launch Icons on your taskbar?
If so, how did you enable quick launch?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #15
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
While CRTs are capable of displaying multiple video resolutions without introducing artifacts, LCDs produce crisp images only in their native resolution and, sometimes, fractions of that native resolution. Attempting to run LCD panels at non-native resolutions usually results in the panel scaling the image, which introduces blurriness or "blockiness" and is susceptible in general to multiple kinds of HDTV blur. Many LCDs are incapable of displaying very low resolution screen modes (such as 320x200) due to these scaling limitations.

While CRT monitors can usually display images at various resolutions, an LCD monitor has to rely on interpolation (scaling of the image), which causes a loss of image quality. An LCD has to scale up a smaller image to fit into the area of the native resolution. This is the same principle as taking a smaller image in an image editing program and enlarging it; the smaller image loses its sharpness when it is expanded. This is especially problematic as most resolutions are in a 4:3 aspect ratio (640480, 800600, 1024768, 1280960, 16001200) but there are odd resolutions that are not, notably 12801024. If a user were to map 1024768 to a 12801024 screen there would be distortion as well as some image errors, as there is not a one-to-one mapping with regards to pixels. This results in noticeable quality loss and the image is much less sharp.

there you go...
from wiki....

Well as I said I have used MANY LCDs in various places and have never noticed any loss of image quality from not using the LCD at it's Native Resolution. And no, I don't have poor eyesight.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #16
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by I2aMpAnT View Post
Well as I said I have used MANY LCDs in various places and have never noticed any loss of image quality from not using the LCD at it's Native Resolution. And no, I don't have poor eyesight.

you may have use them "once in a while"

but it is annoying once you use them everyday....

end of discussion since this is OTP

onto the problem....

im guessing hes having a EDID issue...

since his video card has support for this resolution....

his display resolution EDID is not being recognize correctly....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #17
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by I2aMpAnT View Post
If you say so.

Do I see Quick-Launch Icons on your taskbar?
If so, how did you enable quick launch?


Also, in your profile it says you have a family yet you have pornographic images in a slideshow on your sidebar?

To enable the sidebar created a new folder and name it Quick Launch and placed all your shortcuts in that folder and then just right click on the Taskbar and select new toolbar and browse for the folder you just created and once you do that unlock the Taskbar and position it where you want it and then right click on the Taskbar and deselect sow text and show title.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #18
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
To enable the sidebar created a new folder and name it Quick Launch and placed all your shortcuts in that folder and then just right click on the Taskbar and select new toolbar and browse for the folder you just created and once you do that unlock the Taskbar and position it where you want it and then right click on the Taskbar and deselect sow text and show title.

Great idea for creating your own quick launch bar. I hate how when you close pinned programs they stay where you closed them, in the middle of all your other open stuff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #19
geoldr

W7
 
 

Ok guys, I have a LCD. This one:
Newegg.com - SCEPTRE X22WG-1080P Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

The native resolution is 1680X1050, but every OS i have ever installed for some reason recognize it as 1920X1080. The box says 1680X1050.

When I use 1680X1050, I get great image quality (except with Windows7)
When I use higher, it becomes blurry.

My problem is with Windows 7 when I set the resolution to 1680X1050, it becomes really stretched out and looks horrible.

I cannot get a good resolution to work with in 7 so I am back on my copy of Vista.

I will try the DVI cable and see what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #20
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geoldr View Post
Ok guys, I have a LCD. This one:
Newegg.com - SCEPTRE X22WG-1080P Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

The native resolution is 1680X1050, but every OS i have ever installed for some reason recognize it as 1920X1080. The box says 1680X1050.

When I use 1680X1050, I get great image quality (except with Windows7)
When I use higher, it becomes blurry.

My problem is with Windows 7 when I set the resolution to 1680X1050, it becomes really stretched out and looks horrible.

I cannot get a good resolution to work with in 7 so I am back on my copy of Vista.

I will try the DVI cable and see what happens.

I'm curious as to why it is listed as a 1080p LCD with a Native Resolution of 1680x1050 and is apparently blurry with 1080p. You are aware that 1920x1080 is 1080p right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Major resolution issue




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
New To Seven's MAJOR ISSUE! (BSOD)
ok folks im new to this whole thing ive done alot of research regarding this issue. Bad_pool_caller Bad_pool_header is the message I see in the bsod, (one or the other never both at once) - x64 windows 7 oem install - laptop toshiba satellite
BSOD Help and Support
major issue with install
ok am using windows 7 home premium 32 bit, upgrade version to do a clean install on my comp, doing the normal routine of booting from cd then going thru advanced install and reformat, well the issue arises when i get to completeing install section after the first restart, the entire program...
Installation & Setup
Major computer issue... I really need help with this!
Alrighty about a month ago we installed windows 7 onto our dell dimension 9100 we originally had windows xp on it. Well one major issue we noticed was it would freeze up for a few seconds- minutes and then start working again. Rather annoying. Well about two weeks ago the system crashed. When you...
BSOD Help and Support
Got a major install issue
Ok im trying to upgrade my vista to windows 7. I have a fairly nice PC Dell XPS 64 bit with 4 gigs of ram. The installl goes good up untill the "Completeing Install" part. After the reboot my monitor goes black and never comes back up. If i try a reboot and go into save mode i get an error saying i...
Installation & Setup
Win7 Major Issue
Hello everyone. I recently installed my copy of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on my computer. It was running swell for 2 days, playing world of warcraft, surfing the net, chatting, etc. Today it randomly shut down. I tried to turn it back on but nothing. So i check the cables, everything seemed fine, but...
BSOD Help and Support
HELP! Major Issue
G'day, I am having some issues with Windows 7, randomly last night after rebooting my router, Microsoft programs refuse to connect to the internet (IE8, Windows Live Messenger, Live Mail etc.) so I thought this was an issue with my internet. Low and behold Mozilla works fine and can turn up...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:12.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App