Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Major resolution issue

11 Jan 2009   #1
geoldr

W7
 
 
Major resolution issue

Hello all, I have never, ever had this problem before. I have a Sceptre 22 inch monitor which runs at 1680X1050. Whenever I reinstall Vista it always sets it to 1920X1080, but it looks terrible so I set it to 1680X1050 (what it was made for) and its fine. With Windows7 same deal. But when I set it to 1680X1050 its really stretched out and I cant see half my screen. I installed the Nvidia beta drivers (I have an 8800GTS), and now im running with some 1152X864 with my screen in a small box in the middle left of the screen. When I set it to 1680X1050, it looks right, but its super left. I cant move it more right. What is going on here?
Also: Everything is blurry


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jan 2009   #2
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Are you using a VGA cable or DVI? DVI is the better choice if you have it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #3
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geoldr View Post
Hello all, I have never, ever had this problem before. I have a Sceptre 22 inch monitor which runs at 1680X1050. Whenever I reinstall Vista it always sets it to 1920X1080, but it looks terrible so I set it to 1680X1050 (what it was made for) and its fine. With Windows7 same deal. But when I set it to 1680X1050 its really stretched out and I cant see half my screen. I installed the Nvidia beta drivers (I have an 8800GTS), and now im running with some 1152X864 with my screen in a small box in the middle left of the screen. When I set it to 1680X1050, it looks right, but its super left. I cant move it more right. What is going on here?
Also: Everything is blurry

I'm not understanding why you wouldn't want to run at a higher resolution if you could...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2009   #4
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

The Native resolution of his monitor is 1680X1050 and his monitor will be clearer at this resolution and should not even be able to go any higher than that, that's why I asked about the VGA cable because resolutions and positioning don't get recognized correctly when you use VGA.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #5
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
The Native resolution of his monitor is 1680X1050 and his monitor will be clearer at this resolution and should not even be able to go any higher than that, that's why I asked about the VGA cable because resolutions and positioning don't get recognized correctly when you use VGA.

I know that his native is only 1680x1050, it's also SUPPOSED to be his maximum so if he can get to 1080p there should be a way to tweak it to look better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #6
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by I2aMpAnT View Post
I know that his native is only 1680x1050, it's also SUPPOSED to be his maximum so if he can get to 1080p there should be a way to tweak it to look better.

I don't know if you have a LCD monitor but by the sounds of it you don't, but if you do try a different resolution and you will find that you loose all your clarity so why would you want a Lower or Higher resolution if the result was poorer image quality.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #7
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

this is with windows incorrectly reading your optimum res.

i had this with a acer 19 (well not completely the same problem but it was the same idea...)

i had a update on WU for that monitor and then its been running great ever since...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #8
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
I don't know if you have a LCD monitor but by the sounds of it you don't, but if you do try a different resolution and you will find that you loose all your clarity so why would you want a Lower or Higher resolution if the result was poorer image quality.

I myself have only CRTs. However, I have used many LCDs and have never had a problem with losing clarlity when passing beyond the native resolution, if anything you have to adjust it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #9
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by I2aMpAnT View Post
I myself have only CRTs. However, I have used many LCDs and have never had a problem with losing clarlity when passing beyond the native resolution, if anything you have to adjust it.
Enough said, I don't beleive you know what your talking about and you have probably never seen the advantages of using a DVI cable compared to VGA so lets just try and help in the areas we know something about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #10
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

he has CRT....

you see with LCD tech you have a screen and set # of pixels....

his pixel res would be 1680x1050 and so that would the number of pixels...

CRT just draws the pixels and unlike CRT it wouldnt matter what res you can try it will be looking like it was natively drawn on a lcd....

this is usually only see in computers (lcd tv's dont count....)

i have two (had have 4 lcd's and a crt)

and i can tell you this is a big issue
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Major resolution issue




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
New To Seven's MAJOR ISSUE! (BSOD)
ok folks im new to this whole thing ive done alot of research regarding this issue. Bad_pool_caller Bad_pool_header is the message I see in the bsod, (one or the other never both at once) - x64 windows 7 oem install - laptop toshiba satellite
BSOD Help and Support
major issue with install
ok am using windows 7 home premium 32 bit, upgrade version to do a clean install on my comp, doing the normal routine of booting from cd then going thru advanced install and reformat, well the issue arises when i get to completeing install section after the first restart, the entire program...
Installation & Setup
Major computer issue... I really need help with this!
Alrighty about a month ago we installed windows 7 onto our dell dimension 9100 we originally had windows xp on it. Well one major issue we noticed was it would freeze up for a few seconds- minutes and then start working again. Rather annoying. Well about two weeks ago the system crashed. When you...
BSOD Help and Support
Got a major install issue
Ok im trying to upgrade my vista to windows 7. I have a fairly nice PC Dell XPS 64 bit with 4 gigs of ram. The installl goes good up untill the "Completeing Install" part. After the reboot my monitor goes black and never comes back up. If i try a reboot and go into save mode i get an error saying i...
Installation & Setup
Win7 Major Issue
Hello everyone. I recently installed my copy of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on my computer. It was running swell for 2 days, playing world of warcraft, surfing the net, chatting, etc. Today it randomly shut down. I tried to turn it back on but nothing. So i check the cables, everything seemed fine, but...
BSOD Help and Support
HELP! Major Issue
G'day, I am having some issues with Windows 7, randomly last night after rebooting my router, Microsoft programs refuse to connect to the internet (IE8, Windows Live Messenger, Live Mail etc.) so I thought this was an issue with my internet. Low and behold Mozilla works fine and can turn up...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App