Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 59Hz

25 Nov 2009   #271
MysterLee

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Why do people keep posting messages like the above in this topic? It's been stated a million times that this only happens in windows 7 and not in older versions of windows and that there is visual differences between 59hz and 60hz ie tearing at 59hz.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Nov 2009   #272
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by archie123 View Post
i think you'll find your refresh rate is still 59.94 (or thereabouts) you have just forced your drivers to report 60hz via powerstrip , its a workaround not a fix , fraps will report 60 fps ingame as it rounds up and of course you can enable v sync which is a good thing

if the DDC is reporting 59.94 to the OS you cant have true 60hz its just not possible , you never had it in vista or XP either it was rounded up so we thought we had it.
well maybe , but windows is reporting @ 60hz now
Attachment 38618
it used to let me change it too 60 hz but it would just always switch back too 59hz
but now its always @60 .so it may be a work around like you said ,but its a pretty good one though and very simple ,fix

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MysterLee View Post
Why do people keep posting messages like the above in this topic? It's been stated a million times that this only happens in windows 7 and not in older versions of windows and that there is visual differences between 59hz and 60hz ie tearing at 59hz.
i remember when i was first asking question about this refresh problem
and the replys were all like that
its ure moniters fault

maybe blindly sticking up for there flawlessly "faultless" os

and if anyone is still having screen tearing in game
id suggest "d3doverdriver " it forces vsync
its included when you download rivatune ,but can be run on its own without rivatune also running.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #273
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MysterLee View Post
Why do people keep posting messages like the above in this topic? It's been stated a million times that this only happens in windows 7 and not in older versions of windows and that there is visual differences between 59hz and 60hz ie tearing at 59hz.
Regarding 59hz Bug. - Guru3D.com Forums

That's why tard.

[edit] I posted that because people like you don't actually use google and find the hardware specs/information about these problems. Maybe you should get new fingers, cause obviously these aren't working out. That or new eyes, cause you aren't using them!

As I've said before, I'm an asshole, but if your not going to use google and get proper specs for **** then DON'T POST AN ANSWER!

[re-edit] Oh and I say this because if you mis-inform the OP and then they ask the same question AGAIN this causes agony for ALL OF US.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Nov 2009   #274
falkenjeff

windows 7, windows XP, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
It's hardware based [no it's not]. It's due to the fact that some monitors fluctuate and 60hz is just a "standard". We had the same problem in linux, and that was a LOT more gay. It probably has to do with the fact that windows is rounding down [windows is software] instead of just saying 59 as 60. Get a new monitor or mask it as they stated earlier. That's all you CAN do. If windows is coded to round [if something is CODED to do something, this is a software issue, it is coded wrong], and most rounding rules are 5+up everything else down then 59.49 gets reported as 59 instead of 60. ****ty? Yes! But as far as the programming goes, it's not a fault that it reports the real hz numbers instead of lying to you is it?

[post modified and had comments added in [square brackets] by falkenjeff]
What the HELL are you talking about? You say it's hardware based, yet then state that it's a problem with windows SOFTWARE rounding. This means it is a SOFTWARE issue, especially since in other operating systems, which are SOFTWARE, this issue can be fixed, is fixed, or never was an issue.

Buying a new monitor is not a solution. If windows is CODED to round down, it is being coded WRONG. Just because windows acts in a certain way does not mean it is a hardware issue and that you need to change your hardware for it to work on windows. Windows should have to change for your hardware. This is how software works.

So I still stand by what I said in my previous post (oh and by the way, I DID NOT buy a new monitor, I used a 3rd party program to make my monitor work. If SOFTWARE can FIX a SOFTWARE ISSUE, then it IS a SOFTWARE issue, NOT a hardware one.)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by
guys, this is a big issue. THIS IS IMPORTANT, READ THIS, SPREAD IT. Microsoft says this is a non-issue, correct? But it is an issue. People have problems with tearing, my TV won't even display at 59hz, etc.... SO USE THE OPTION MICROSOFT HAS GIVEN TO YOU.

Screen refresh rate in Windows 7 does not apply the user selected settings on monitors & TVs (that report specific TV compatible timings)

scroll down.

"Did this information solve your problem?" select no

"Was the information relevant?" select yes

"comment box" add reasons why 59hz actually IS an issue (eg: HDTVs not displaying at all due to it, tearing, etc)

and hope that the system they have in place eventually forces their software development team to look at this issue.
Sorry for the rant, but I'm a computer science student, and your post bugged me. Software is not static, it is dynamic (except in cases where a true waterfall development process is used, but this is only useful in military applications where hardware is fixed to 1 specific unchangeable configuration. In all other cases, some form of iterative development is always better.). Windows is released with bugs, and it is expected that the users will find these bugs so they can eventually be fixed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #275
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Yeah well maybe both? lolz, I was kinda busy when posting that one. As 59.95Hz isn't something I'm really worried about, and I do CS as well and as far as what we are talking about it should be "roughly" a fixed topic. The Hz frequencies should all roughly be the same. That's the idea behind the 60Hz standard... It's also why a generic driver should work on 100x monitors, because they've all agreed that the same rates/frequencies should be a standard. And for software being dynamic? Most people would think of that as software can change, but the reality is that it uses dynamics and thus we associate it with being dynamic. Those are 2 different things. Software is dynamic in the sense of library calls and memory management, it has been for a long time. But the software's function will always be static, as it rounds 59.95Hz to 59.90 and then windows reports 59. If you can't change it, and the OS can't change the code, it's what? Don't get static functions and dynamics mixed in to the same area. I was the kind who chewed out other kids for stupid CS questions and that was one of the stupid CS statements. Most of your code is going to be static, being the nature of code, and so most problems are related to static code (code really isn't dynamic as it acts dynamic in the way it can handle things, because code is set and can't be chanced after compile unless you hack it or have an outside configuration file. but since this is dealing with static hardware.... you get the point.... though really dynamic code is an illusion we've created by making switches that we can alter).

That's the static functions of code, and that's really what we are talking about here. We aren't talking about memory management and library calls, because really we don't care about dynamics in this thead because obviously the libraries/sections of code that's working on the Hz is reporting the same thing for a lot of people.

What I find funny is that not all of us are getting those results, which would support the idea of some monitors being slightly off in the Hz range compared to other monitors. Otherwise why else would some people get the same results but the only difference is monitors? Really if the code says "y=X*(variable)" the code has only ONE way of doing that. So if it's a rounding issue and yet not all people get the issue that would imply some monitors are closer to the standards. Now who's fault is this? I don't know, but I'm sure as hell not going to say "oh oh oh lets blame drivers and say it's all software because I don't know how signals are sent or signal degeneration/interferience". And then we have the other side saying "it's not hardware because it works in XP!" Seriously, the entire post has been this, the only fix is to force the OS to think it's 60Hz. If it was 60Hz (correct hardware) the OS has shows to report 60Hz.

The reason I like the CS kid's post is because he forgets the fundamentals of code. Math won't lie, never will. The equasions they use to determin the Hz and report it are the same on every os, and yet some of them are reporting 59Hz? And then you go and say the code is wrong? Once the code is compiled it can't change that equasion, it's the same all around the board. Every copy of Win7 uses the same equasion to get that 59Hz or 60Hz, and if something is off it's an outside variable. That's why I posted that other thread on the guru3D forums. It's technically a non-issue because there is no fix at the moment and you really shouldn't be mass posting a thread here. You want a fix go yell at MS for ****ing with the way they report Hz or tell the manufacturers to make a more strict standard. That's your fix.

[edit] Though he does get rep for pointing out my retard moment! lolz thnx mate.

[update] I changed paragraph 1 about the dynamics at the end of the paragraph to more explain how it's an illusion. If you really want more detail you should figure out how the computer actually works, as it's just a set of switches with pre-determined outcomes. the real dynamics is the idea of user input/outside switches that can't be controlled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #276
omnimodis78

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
It's hardware based. It's due to the fact that some monitors fluctuate and 60hz is just a "standard". We had the same problem in linux, and that was a LOT more gay. It probably has to do with the fact that windows is rounding down instead of just saying 59 as 60. Get a new monitor or mask it as they stated earlier. That's all you CAN do. If windows is coded to round, and most rounding rules are 5+up everything else down then 59.49 gets reported as 59 instead of 60. ****ty? Yes! But as far as the programming goes, it's not a fault that it reports the real hz numbers instead of lying to you is it?
Dude what does "...that was a LOT more gay." even mean? Your issue was homosexual or happy? Pretty strange choice of words, and can be offensive. That issue aside, how is this a hardware issue when under WindowsXP I had no tearing at 60Hz in games or movies using my GTX275 and Samsung SyncMaster T240 - but under Windows7, set to 59Hz (apparently that is the same as 60Hz) I get tearing. The hardware didn't change, only the OS has changed. So how is that not OS based?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2009   #277
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by omnimodis78 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
It's hardware based. It's due to the fact that some monitors fluctuate and 60hz is just a "standard". We had the same problem in linux, and that was a LOT more gay. It probably has to do with the fact that windows is rounding down instead of just saying 59 as 60. Get a new monitor or mask it as they stated earlier. That's all you CAN do. If windows is coded to round, and most rounding rules are 5+up everything else down then 59.49 gets reported as 59 instead of 60. ****ty? Yes! But as far as the programming goes, it's not a fault that it reports the real hz numbers instead of lying to you is it?
Dude what does "...that was a LOT more gay." even mean? Your issue was homosexual or happy? Pretty strange choice of words, and can be offensive. That issue aside, how is this a hardware issue when under WindowsXP I had no tearing at 60Hz in games or movies using my GTX275 and Samsung SyncMaster T240 - but under Windows7, set to 59Hz (apparently that is the same as 60Hz) I get tearing. The hardware didn't change, only the OS has changed. So how is that not OS based?
If you read my last post you'd have seen that I admitted that post wasn't clear. OR DO YOU READ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #278
omnimodis78

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by omnimodis78 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
It's hardware based. It's due to the fact that some monitors fluctuate and 60hz is just a "standard". We had the same problem in linux, and that was a LOT more gay. It probably has to do with the fact that windows is rounding down instead of just saying 59 as 60. Get a new monitor or mask it as they stated earlier. That's all you CAN do. If windows is coded to round, and most rounding rules are 5+up everything else down then 59.49 gets reported as 59 instead of 60. ****ty? Yes! But as far as the programming goes, it's not a fault that it reports the real hz numbers instead of lying to you is it?
Dude what does "...that was a LOT more gay." even mean? Your issue was homosexual or happy? Pretty strange choice of words, and can be offensive. That issue aside, how is this a hardware issue when under WindowsXP I had no tearing at 60Hz in games or movies using my GTX275 and Samsung SyncMaster T240 - but under Windows7, set to 59Hz (apparently that is the same as 60Hz) I get tearing. The hardware didn't change, only the OS has changed. So how is that not OS based?
If you read my last post you'd have seen that I admitted that post wasn't clear. OR DO YOU READ
Woah you're a jumpy little one, aren't you... Yup, I read, that's why I managed to reply to yours, though, when you get to something that you want to reply to, you don't exactly continue to read the other posts, instead you reply right away. I think this is how most people operate on a forum, and it isn't inherently deserving of getting sassed at Besides, it's not my fault you can't articulate your ideas clearly enough. Ok ok, I'm done....sorry!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #279
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by omnimodis78 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by omnimodis78 View Post
Dude what does "...that was a LOT more gay." even mean? Your issue was homosexual or happy? Pretty strange choice of words, and can be offensive. That issue aside, how is this a hardware issue when under WindowsXP I had no tearing at 60Hz in games or movies using my GTX275 and Samsung SyncMaster T240 - but under Windows7, set to 59Hz (apparently that is the same as 60Hz) I get tearing. The hardware didn't change, only the OS has changed. So how is that not OS based?
If you read my last post you'd have seen that I admitted that post wasn't clear. OR DO YOU READ
Woah you're a jumpy little one, aren't you... Yup, I read, that's why I managed to reply to yours, though, when you get to something that you want to reply to, you don't exactly continue to read the other posts, instead you reply right away. I think this is how most people operate on a forum, and it isn't inherently deserving of getting sassed at Besides, it's not my fault you can't articulate your ideas clearly enough. Ok ok, I'm done....sorry!

lol I deserved that. Haha yeah sometimes I'm a little sloppy, but I'm usually doing this and something else at the same time. And if it involves anything important this goes on my back burner called low attention span. haha
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #280
Skumin

Windows 7
 
 

Hi mates,
I think I've solved it.Yesterday I downloaded latest nVidia drivers from MSI and installed them.The drivers were for Vista 64bit,MSI don't have them for W7 yet.Then I installed properly my monitor drivers for Vista 64bit.And then I clicked from the desktop on Screen Resolution,then on advanced (or just where the "refresh rate" is located).And finaly,there were more possibilities: 30Hz,59Hz and 60Hz.I chose 60Hz,clicked "apply" and then "OK" and the refresh rate changed.I thought it goes back to 59Hz but it stayed on 60Hz even after rebooting,so everything is OK now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 59Hz




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
59Hz instead of 60Hz !!!
Hey guys, just some slight weirdness after I re-installed 7 on my laptop. The screen refresh rate is stuck @ 59Hz. now i have the option to select 60Hz and when i do it acepts, but then instantly reverts to 59Hz. any thoughts?
Graphic Cards
LCD Native Resolution, EDID and 59Hz issues
I'm on the trail of what might turn out to be quite a boon for those folks with resolution and refresh rate issues. Seems that Windows caches a copy of the monitor EDID since querying it can be very time consuming at startup each time. There appears to be no "protection" on that stored binary value...
Graphic Cards
59hz and 60hz? Are They Obviously Different?
That's the screen refresh rates on Windows 7. What's the reason they included those two...when they are that close to each other?
Graphic Cards
Windows 7 insists on resetting my T260 to 59hz
Ok, I tried to help a few others on here - now it's my turn. Done the web searches about Win 7 resetting my Samsung T260 monitor on startup to 59hz (from proper setting of 60hz) which annoyingly reduces text size. Can't find an answer! Appears many others suffer from this 59HZ 'bug'. This...
Graphic Cards
Refresh rate won't go above 59hz
I have a 8800 GTS running with an HP LP2275w monitor. I just installed win7 and for some reason it won't let the refresh rate go above 59hz. My monitor is capable of running 60hz. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but I actually find it quite disorienting. When I change the video settings...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App