Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 4870x2 Together with GTX 295 on Physx?

18 Aug 2009   #1
AlexRD

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
4870x2 Together with GTX 295 on Physx?

I saw a guy on youtube commenting that he had a 4870x2 running together with a Nvidia card running Physx.
How does that work?
I mean, would it be like..... Crossli? :P

And Can ATI Cards run PhysX? Officially and Unoficially.
What does PhysX Improve?

Alex.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Aug 2009   #2
Sassa

 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #3
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlexRD View Post
And Can ATI Cards run PhysX? Officially and Unoficially.
What does PhysX Improve?

Alex.
ATI cards cannot run physx. Officially or unofficially. It's an nvidia proprietary technology they purchased from AGEIA years ago.

With the latest Nvidia drivers, they will no longer allow an ATI card as primary adapter and a nvidia card as a dedicated physx. Older nvidia drivers still work, but that will only last so long before all sorts of hacks will be needed to do it.

physx allows Physic calculations to be performed by the GPU, taking the load off the CPU. So far, Basically it adds better 'eye candy'.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Aug 2009   #4
AlexRD

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
ATI cards cannot run physx. Officially or unofficially. It's an nvidia proprietary technology they purchased from AGEIA years ago.

With the latest Nvidia drivers, they will no longer allow an ATI card as primary adapter and a nvidia card as a dedicated physx. Older nvidia drivers still work, but that will only last so long before all sorts of hacks will be needed to do it.

physx allows Physic calculations to be performed by the GPU, taking the load off the CPU. So far, Basically it adds better 'eye candy'.
So, Would it be a nice FPS increase from stock 4870x2? A 8800GT to perform PhysX, and a 4870x2 ? Would i have to connect them through SLI or Crossfire? Does it needs to be a Good Card to do this , or any will do it with the same performance? Thanks, Alex.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #5
smarteyeball

 
 

Unless you already have a 8800GT lying around, it would be a waste of money to try this. However, the better the nvidia card, the better the physx performance.

Each card would be run independently. You cannot physically connect an nvidia card to an ATI card.

You need either a dual monitor setup, or a single monitor with multiple inputs ie Two DVI, or one DVI, one VGA. You connect each card to each monitor / output. This will enable you to access the nvidia CP.

It will only benefit games with physx options. ie Mirrors Edge, Cryostasis etc.

It will not help your framerate in normal games. It should allow you to turn on the physx options that normally cripple an ATI card only setup.

I've never tried this so I can't say how well it works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #6
ratePV

Windows 7 SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Unless you already have a 8800GT lying around, it would be a waste of money to try this. However, the better the nvidia card, the better the physx performance.

Each card would be run independently. You cannot physically connect an nvidia card to an ATI card.

You need either a dual monitor setup, or a single monitor with multiple inputs ie Two DVI, or one DVI, one VGA. You connect each card to each monitor / output. This will enable you to access the nvidia CP.

It will only benefit games with physx options. ie Mirrors Edge, Cryostasis etc.

It will not help your framerate in normal games. It should allow you to turn on the physx options that normally cripple an ATI card only setup.

I've never tried this so I can't say how well it works.
And you would need BOTH Nvidia and Catalys Drivers(witch is a no no!)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #7
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ratePV View Post
And you would need BOTH Nvidia and Catalys Drivers(witch is a no no!)
Unfortunately both sets of drivers are required for this to work. The more I've read about it, the more it sounds like a major headache
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #8
AlexRD

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Ok, so it does seems bad, and i don't want any more headaches. Thanks for all the support. And RatePV, nice to see someone who likes the same game as i do Even Matthew Perry liked the game lolz. Thanks, Alex.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #9
ratePV

Windows 7 SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlexRD View Post
Ok, so it does seems bad, and i don't want any more headaches. Thanks for all the support. And RatePV, nice to see someone who likes the same game as i do Even Matthew Perry liked the game lolz. Thanks, Alex.
Yep best game ever!
But accidentally iv deleted my save so i have to go through it again!
Too bad isnt it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #10
AlexRD

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ratePV View Post
Yep best game ever!
But accidentally iv deleted my save so i have to go through it again!
Too bad isnt it?
At least you can now do things you didn't do on your first play :P
Did you play with mods yet? Fallout Nexus has a lot of them.
Really cool mods.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 4870x2 Together with GTX 295 on Physx?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Radeon HD 4870x2 vs newer cards
I currently have a Radeon HD 4870x2 video card. How does it compare to newer cards? I am considering getting a Radeon HD 7870, but would it be worth the money yet to upgrade? Or should I wait out another generation or two? Also, I want a card that runs reasonable temps, and I don't care at all...
Graphic Cards
PhysX SLI mix
Hello! I would like to upgrade my pc and I was thinking if I could mix a gt220 with a GTX 460 in physx sli... this is very important because I need to the "weaker" card now couse it's now on sale...
Graphic Cards
ATI Sapphire 4870x2 2gb - Win7 - Tons of issues
Hello all, I hope you guys can help me out. I recently upgraded from xp to win 7, did clean install. Install went great, no errors whatosever. However, getting my ati card drivers to work correctly have been a horrendous journey. :mad: Any Catalyst download, or modded ati driver will...
Graphic Cards
4870x2 or GTX 295?
So, i bought my new computer and i can Choose between those So, if i will get the GTX 295, i will have to pay 250$ more than if i would have the 4870x2 from ATI. So which one i choose? I searched many websites making comparisons, and all of them are unfair. For example, they run a Nvidia...
Graphic Cards
7 and ATI 4870x2 - Hard Locks
I originally did a clean install to a new HDD using 7, Microsoft's default drivers and ATI's 7 Beta graphics drivers, and the system randomly hard locks while gaming. Different games (WoW, The Witcher, Bioshock, etc) net the same result. Works very well for some random period of time. Then the...
Graphic Cards
Problems with RC and 4870X2
So I just reinstalled from the beta (7000) to the RC (7100), fresh install on a separate HDD. I noticed that I was getting alot of lag, not dissimilar to when the graphics card drivers aren't installed. I downloaded the latest drivers from the ATI website, specifically the 9.4 version, but it...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:54.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App