Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New great game - how can I upgrade video card for SFF box?

27 Dec 2012   #1
retired464

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 
New great game - how can I upgrade video card for SFF box?

I have a HP s5-1020 computer, small and neat but not much power. Graphics are adequate. BUT I just got Mass Effect Trilogy for Xmas. Looks like video will not run. The chipset on standard box is Intel G4 (?) and case is too small to add in something better (GE Force or ATI card).
Is there any way I can plug to better graphics card or should I give up and return Mass Effect? I am not going to buy new computer.
I have an idle box (old full size computer, DELL, with XP on it, but plenty of RAM and good HD). Should I be looking at getting it set up as a game machine?
Any adivce welcome.
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2012   #2
Erick Aguilar

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by retired464 View Post
I have a HP s5-1020 computer, small and neat but not much power. Graphics are adequate. BUT I just got Mass Effect Trilogy for Xmas. Looks like video will not run. The chipset on standard box is Intel G4 (?) and case is too small to add in something better (GE Force or ATI card).
Is there any way I can plug to better graphics card or should I give up and return Mass Effect? I am not going to buy new computer.
I have an idle box (old full size computer, DELL, with XP on it, but plenty of RAM and good HD). Should I be looking at getting it set up as a game machine?
Any adivce welcome.
Thanks
Get a low profile card.
Couple of cards today are powerful enough and offer the open to use it's low profile brackets so they fit on smaller form factor cases.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #3
LuzTeTT

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

You may be able to purchase a cheap video card that will run the game to some acceptable degree, as mentioned above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Dec 2012   #4
bassfisher6522

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

If your up for it....why not just a new case and move everything in it. This way you can get a full size GPU with better heatsink and fan. It's not hard at all and you can get a mid-tower case from $20 to $50 that is decent and functional.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Computer Cases, Computer Cases, ATX Mid Tower, $25 - $50
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #5
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Get a low profile card.
Couple of cards today are powerful enough and offer the open to use it's low profile brackets so they fit on smaller form factor cases.
HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1020 Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1020 Desktop PC | HP® Support

220W PSU.

That may not support a capable add-in card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #6
Erick Aguilar

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Get a low profile card.
Couple of cards today are powerful enough and offer the open to use it's low profile brackets so they fit on smaller form factor cases.
HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1020 Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1020 Desktop PC | HP® Support

220W PSU.

That may not support a capable add-in card.
True, It could even have trouble running an APG legacy card
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #7
retired464

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Thanks for the quick replies. I hadn't thought of moving to a bigger case; simple, eligant, and for $50 it looks like there a few good ones with power supply (one was 450W and should do). But my son (the ever practical one) says don't bother. Just buy a huge, capable gaming computer and really get into it. Maybe. I'm retired now and might just want a separate box for that with huge HD, fast processor, great graphics and sound, huge screen, etc. I might just be that nutty. I'm tired of working at the component level all these years!!
Again, you all had some good ideas. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #8
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

I was a component upgrader for a long time.........a piece here and there, then a bigger piece here and a bigger piece there. Diminishing returns after awhile. I finally built a system for myself this summer and could not be happier with the result! It is a very nice build and will last for several years if need be.

I can't tell you which way to go, upgrade your case, PSU and graphics card or a completely new build, but I can tell you that there is no use in sinking a bunch of money into a computer with old/outdated parts to just be disappointed with the result. If you want some suggestions on a new build, we would be more than happy to help with that!

Kelly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New great game - how can I upgrade video card for SFF box?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
i got this error on my game for my video card
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: Spore.exe Application Version: 1.1.0.338 Application Timestamp: 00000000 Fault Module Name: Spore.exe Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.338 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 00048682 OS...
Graphic Cards
Video card not recognized by video game
Hi, so I play The Sims. I checked out the device config log and my video card isn't being recognized. Is there anyone who can help me with this? I have a XFX R7 260 (is that a good card?). I bought the card becuz it was specifically listed as a card that'll work with The Sims. I tried to...
Graphic Cards
Should I upgrade my video card?
I really need a new processor (its an amd phenom x4 1.8ghz), I thought that's why my games weren't running very well, but a friend told me that GPUs do like 80% of the work, no matter how good you CPU is, so my first question is, is what he saying true? If so, would I really need a new processor?...
Graphic Cards
Is my video card faulty, or it something else? (game crashes)
Hey guys, I'll try to explain my problem the best way I can... I've having trouble running games for quite sometime now. Games like BFBC2, Mafia II, Dead Space - mostly modern games that take up more CPU, GPU usage. When I run these games, they either crash (windows says they stopped...
Graphic Cards
Could My Video Card Be Causing My Game Trouble?
I HAve the ORiginal Not Dell version OF a GeForce 8400 MS 512MB Video Card and i think this is the cause for whenever i try to start a game or sumthing it Blue Screen crashes is this possible? i cant even get to the Games folder from the Start button i click it and it Blue Screens me, I Need help...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App