Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: Black Area on screen

24 Feb 2009   #1

Black Area on screen

Hello there,

i want to run my desktop at 1152 x 864. I use the same resolution in games. It works fine in XP but when i select this resolution in Windows 7 than i get black areas around the screen. (only 80% of the monitor space is covered with the screen, the other 20% is simply black space).

I tryd to make the screen bigger with the monitor control panel (on the monitor) but its already at 100/100 so i cant make the screen bigger and i also looked through any options in windows 7 + nvidia control center.

Is there no way to adjust the screen size, to stretch it till it fits the wohle screen?

I get this with 1024x768 too

1280 x 960 works fine and all resolutions above it?!

E6400, 2GB RAM, 8800 GT 512

My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2009   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64

Hi Darkreaver1980 and welcome to Se7en Forums

What is the native resolution of your monitor?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2009   #3


Its a 4:3 Monitor, thats why im using 1024x768 or 1152x864. The higher resolutions are to much for computer is not that fast.

At 800x600 the screen doesnt even has half of the monitor size?!
My System SpecsSystem Spec

24 Feb 2009   #4

Win 7 Ult SP1/Win 10 Pro (all x64)

Is this an LCD monitor or a CRT type? If so what make and model?

Also what make/model of graphics card do you have?

Don't forget that Win 7 is beta and the drivers provided by Windows Update aren't in any way final either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2009   #5


Its the CRT Dell M993. The display setting says M993 too, so i wonder whats wrong with it?

Im using an Zotac 8880 AMP 512 MB with the diplay driver via Windows Update
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2009   #6

Win 7 Ult SP1/Win 10 Pro (all x64)

Resolutions supported:1024 x 768 · 1280 x 1024 · 1600 x 1200 · 640 x 480 · 720 x 400 · 800 x 600

That's what I could find out, so you were trying to run it at a non-standard resolution.

Does it still have the gap after a reboot?

Could be that the graphics card doesn't support something or other but a black area is weird.
My System SpecsSystem Spec

 Black Area on screen

Thread Tools

Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode
Hi, I have this 4 year old Lenovo Y560(config below) The discrete graphic card has probably fried a long time ago, so last year when I did a clean install of Windows, I had to disable ATI Card permanently in the device manager using safe mode and used the Intel integrated card. A few days ago, I...
Installation & Setup
Black Screen of Death true black no keys work at all!!!HELP
i believe virus deleted a system 32 exe file it is a confident guess. I have a true black screen nothing at all comes up doesn't load anything no hot keys work. windows 7 hp laptop I need to know if I can get into bios if f keys don't work, cd repair disk don't work. what can I do power button and...
BSOD Help and Support
BlueScreen playing MMO's. Screen Goes Black, Restarts and Stays Black
Hello there, So as the title says, I'm having some problems with my computer. I bought it about 4 weeks ago, and no issues with it other than when I try to play an MMO that would make the graphics card work. The graphics card that is installed in the computer was separately bought and installed,...
BSOD Help and Support
Black Box in notification area of taskbar
So I have a problem... I am currently running a SONY VAIO VPCCW21FX with an NVIDIA 310M graphics card installed. Recently, a black box has appeared in the right side of the taskbar, starting from just left of the change language dialog and going all the way right. When ending the explorer.exe...
Hardware & Devices
BSOD playing Black Ops (page fault in nonpaged area)
Hello everyone, I have been experiencing lots of BSODs with the message PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA recently when attempting to play Black Ops. It seems to only happen when I am trying to join a server (just when the loading screen is meant to appear). Sometimes it allows me to see the BSOD,...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:14.
Twitter Facebook Google+