Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need some help/advice with my HD 5770

20 Feb 2010   #1
GhostRaider

Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
 
 
Need some help/advice with my HD 5770

OK my problem is one I think is already being discussed on another thread in that when I use my HDMI cables on my main monitor and subsequent additional hookup which is my tv I get black bars above, below, and to the sides of my windows screen.

I am pretty sure this is the problem as discussed in another thread here:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Those black bands are part of the aspect ratio of true 16:9, they are always there. Even in HD broadcasts from your cable or satellite provider they are there. If your old card filled up your plasma screen, then it converted it to 4:3 aspect ratio or a setting was change.
The solution that was given was this:

In Catalyst control Center:

Avivo Video > Theater Mode > select Scale to full screen

The problem I am having is that unlike the pic below I do not have a tab for "Theater Mode". I have all the other tabs except for that one. Can someone here please help me out on this so I can eliminate those black bars.

Side note..when I use my DVI everything works correctly it is only when I use my HDMI cables that this happens. Now while I can use my DVI I would prefer to use my HDMI cables especially since I bought a 35ft cable to run to my TV that i can't use right now becuase of this problem.

If you need my specs i have given detailed ones to help in anyway possible. Again any help would be appreciated.




Attached Images
Need some help/advice with my HD 5770-55476d1266721896t-ati-hd-5770-hell-earth-avivo.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Feb 2010   #2
GhostRaider

Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
 
 

Oh as some additional info when I follow those instructions up above this is what I am looking at in the end:


Attached Images
Need some help/advice with my HD 5770-ccc.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #3
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Try here:

ATI HD 5770 is Hell on Earth

seeing as the posts are similar.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Feb 2010   #4
GhostRaider

Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Try here:

ATI HD 5770 is Hell on Earth

seeing as the posts are similar.
That is the post I was referencing in my OP.

The advice you listed next was :

Quote:
Connect only your 52" plasma via HDMI, then find an option in your tv to autotune or set it to its native resolution. Then, connect your other screen. Also, look for the desktop options and ensure your TV is listed/supported.
What do I do if I am not looking for a fix for my Tv at the moment. First things first I am trying to get my monitor squared away and it is a FHD2102 Gateway Monitor 1080p monitor which is the only thing connected to my computer right now.

My monitor won't let me autotune as that option is deactivated and I don't have the slightest clue as to what to look for in my desktop options or where to look to see if my monitor is supported which I have to think it is because when I use the DVI cable everything works perfectly.

Side note even when my monitor is connected by only DVI Cable and even though it works like it should and elimintates the black bars unlike what it does with the HDMI cables I still can't get that option that is missing from the CCC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #5
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GhostRaider View Post
I still can't get that option that is missing from the CCC.
An oversight on my behalf, sorry.

You need dual screens connected for Theater Mode option to be enabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #6
Zomby88

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GhostRaider View Post
OK my problem is one I think is already being discussed on another thread in that when I use my HDMI cables on my main monitor and subsequent additional hookup which is my tv I get black bars above, below, and to the sides of my windows screen.

I am pretty sure this is the problem as discussed in another thread here:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Those black bands are part of the aspect ratio of true 16:9, they are always there. Even in HD broadcasts from your cable or satellite provider they are there. If your old card filled up your plasma screen, then it converted it to 4:3 aspect ratio or a setting was change.
The solution that was given was this:

In Catalyst control Center:

Avivo Video > Theater Mode > select Scale to full screen

The problem I am having is that unlike the pic below I do not have a tab for "Theater Mode". I have all the other tabs except for that one. Can someone here please help me out on this so I can eliminate those black bars.

Side note..when I use my DVI everything works correctly it is only when I use my HDMI cables that this happens. Now while I can use my DVI I would prefer to use my HDMO cables especially since I bought a 35ft cable to run to my TV that i can't use right now becuase of this problem.

If you need my specs i have given detailed ones to help in anyway possible. Again any help would be appreciated.
Make sure the resolution output (from your video card) is the same as the TV native resolution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #7
GhostRaider

Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GhostRaider View Post
I still can't get that option that is missing from the CCC.
An oversight on my behalf, sorry.

You need dual screens connected for Theater Mode option to be enabled.
Ok tried several different configs with cables (dual screens) to try to get the option to pop up:

HDMIs connected to both monitor and TV = no go.

DVI connected to monitor and my DVI/HDMI cable to Tv = no go

DVI connected to monitor and HDMI to Tv = no go

HDMI connected to monitor and HDMI/DVI cable connected to Tv = no go

No luck in getting that option to show up on my CCC on all tries.

Now I am assuming (dual screens) means having both monitor/Tv connected at the same time....could it also be possible they just forgot this option for the HD 5770 as far as the CCC is concerned???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #8
GhostRaider

Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zomby88 View Post

Make sure the resolution output (from your video card) is the same as the TV native resolution.
I am sorry but I don't know how to do that. Not very tech savy and am relying heavily on the instructions from you all who are much more advanced than me.

As for best guess at what you asking my video card is set to 1920x1080 and 60hz.

I have gone through my TV menu and can't find anything remotely resembeling that. There is an option for Auto Aspect Ratio and it is turned on right now. That is about all. Only other thing I can tell you is the TV is a Toshiba 40RV525U Tv 1920x1080 (1080p). When I do a google search on it though the info I get back is that the native resolution is 1920x1080. So they do indeed appear to match that is if I have identified the correct info.

With that said it is getting a little late in the morning and I am really tired so I will check back into this thread later today after I get some sleep.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #9
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GhostRaider View Post

No luck in getting that option to show up on my CCC on all tries.

Now I am assuming (dual screens) means having both monitor/Tv connected at the same time
Correct.

With both your monitor and TV connected at the same time, do you see an image on both screens at the same time?

If so, do they both have the start menu on each of them? (Cloned Mode)

If that is the case, you will have set them what is called "Extended mode"


In the start menu search bar type "resolution" and select 'Adjust Screen Resolution'

On this Window, under 'Multiple Displays' select 'Extend these Displays' (If only one screen is detected, click on the 'detect' button to show both screens.)

Need some help/advice with my HD 5770-screen-resolution.jpg

This will allow you to independently configure each screen. Make sure you make your PC monitor is the 'Main display', or the one with the taskbar. This will make your TV the 'secondary display'.

Both screens should be set to 1920x1080 @ 60hz as this is the 'native resolution' for both screens. (Simply put, the Native resolution is the optimal resolution for any given display)


Next, Open Catalyst Control Center and go to Desktop Properties and select the secondary display (TV) from the drop down arrow at the the top right of the CCC window. Then scroll down and expand the HDTV and select the 1920x1080 resolution.

Need some help/advice with my HD 5770-ccc-desktop-properties.jpg

Apply and OK it.

Hopefully Avivo Video > Theater Mode will show up. If it doesn't, you may need to simply re-install the CAT 10.2 drivers again with both displays connected during installation.

Once you have Avivo TM available:

Select the Theater Mode overlay > in Theater Mode (Full Screen) and tick the Scale to full screen.

Need some help/advice with my HD 5770-ccc-theater-mode.jpg


Note that I am not connecting via HDMI, only DVI so I can't guarantee it will solve your problem. There may be further options in CCC that only become available when HDMI is connected, or it may be a HDMI limitation.


Let us know if it works or not.

***

After a quick play with theater mode, in Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player, I have the normal 4:3 / 16:9 borders depending on the source material (live TV, *.avi files etc)

But if I use VLC player and have the video output set to use 'DirectX video output', it will fill the entire screen regardless of source file aspect ratio - i.e 4:3 source will use the entire screen without borders

But it temporarily disables Aero, and shows two instances - one screen full screen, the other with 'normal aspect ratios' and the controls. Side effect of it being an overlay, I guess.

Need some help/advice with my HD 5770-vlc-directx-out.jpg


Not the most elegant of solutions, but it works.





















Quote:
could it also be possible they just forgot this option for the HD 5770 as far as the CCC is concerned???
Unlikely, as the same driver and Catalyst Control Center is used for a wide range of cards.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #10
GhostRaider

Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
 
 

Ok I am back now and have done what you posted so with that said lets get started... Also I went ahead and blew away my original drivers and put in a fresh install of 10.2 as you recommended.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Correct.

With both your monitor and TV connected at the same time, do you see an image on both screens at the same time?

If so, do they both have the start menu on each of them? (Cloned Mode)

If that is the case, you will have set them what is called "Extended mode"
They both have images and "Extended Mode" is what I always use now as I perfer it over cloned mode as it allows me to do more things.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
In the start menu search bar type "resolution" and select 'Adjust Screen Resolution'

On this Window, under 'Multiple Displays' select 'Extend these Displays' (If only one screen is detected, click on the 'detect' button to show both screens.)

Attachment 55566

This will allow you to independently configure each screen. Make sure you make your PC monitor is the 'Main display', or the one with the taskbar. This will make your TV the 'secondary display'.

Both screens should be set to 1920x1080 @ 60hz as this is the 'native resolution' for both screens. (Simply put, the Native resolution is the optimal resolution for any given display)

It is on extended
Done...the only thing I had to change was setting it to extended from cloned (it's apparent default). As for everything else both were already set to 1920x1080 and matched.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Next, Open Catalyst Control Center and go to Desktop Properties and select the secondary display (TV) from the drop down arrow at the the top right of the CCC window. Then scroll down and expand the HDTV and select the 1920x1080 resolution.

Attachment 55577

Apply and OK it.

Hopefully Avivo Video > Theater Mode will show up. If it doesn't, you may need to simply re-install the CAT 10.2 drivers again with both displays connected during installation.
Went to Desktop Properties and both the Monitor and the Tv were already set to 1920/1080 60Hz by default. With that said I went to look for the Theater Mode in the other Avivo Video and still no luck. As for a fresh install as I mentioned when I started this post I started with a fresh install of 10.2.

I have done this now with fresh installs of 10.2 and followed you instructions accordingly for both of these configs.

DVI to Monitor and DVI/HDMI cable to Tv

and

HDMI to Monitor and HDMI to TV

In both cases it was a no go as far as getting that Theater tab to show itself in the Avivo Video section of the CCC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need some help/advice with my HD 5770




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
GTX 260 vs ATI HD 5770
i M going to buy a new PC in few days. But i m not able to decide as on which GRAPHIC CARD to buy. i Have 2 choices : 1} ATI RADEON HD 5770 2} nVIDIA GTX 260. Pls. dont give me any other choice as i have decided to buy any one of these cards.
Graphic Cards
Ati 5770
After installing newest drivers (downloaded yesterday), the Windows System Assessment Tool needed renewing and now my graphics scores are down from 7,9 to 6,1. In the same time i've updated my bios from f2 to f3 (which slowed down my RAM from 1600 to 1066; manual reconfig leads to system...
Graphic Cards
5770 vs 5850 Return 1 or both 5770's? ATI gfx
Ok, so the cards in question are the 5770 from SAPPHIRE. X 2 in crossfire Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards and 5850 from SAPPHIRE once again. ...
Graphic Cards
XFX 5770 need advice please.
Hi beautiful people, After going through an "extensive" research i bought a xfx ATI 5770, it arrives next tuesday, but after i bought it i've read that some people are having problems with this card. should i sell it before i open it? I know ATI doesn't manage nvidias physics technology,...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App