Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Just got my GTX 480

05 Jul 2010   #301
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Not really that much louder. While I'm playing games, speakers turned on, can't hear my PC at all under my desk.
Still loud.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Jul 2010   #302
Everlong

 

I really don't see how that corresponds to what I said as he doesn't have the PC set up in anywhere near the way I do. Mine's in a case under a desk. His is open on a desk with the microphone shoved up against the fan.

Turn your fan to the same speed, open your case and stick your ear against the fan and you'll hear the same thing.

Mine's at 65% constant. There is a big difference in sound as soon as you hit 68%.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #303
Airbot

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

LOL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jul 2010   #304
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Well, I got my new high flow bracket today, and it lowered my GTX 480 idle temps by a whole whopping 2C.
I remember when these came out for the GTX295, they were over rated for cooling back then also.

In reality case flow has more to do with keeping these high perf cards cool than anything else. The combination of the two, improving case flow and the bracket will make a bigger difference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #305
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I really don't see how that corresponds to what I said as he doesn't have the PC set up in anywhere near the way I do. Mine's in a case under a desk. His is open on a desk with the microphone shoved up against the fan.

Turn your fan to the same speed, open your case and stick your ear against the fan and you'll hear the same thing.

Mine's at 65% constant. There is a big difference in sound as soon as you hit 68%.
So yours is in a case under a desk, that means it will be warmer and louder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #306
Everlong

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I really don't see how that corresponds to what I said as he doesn't have the PC set up in anywhere near the way I do. Mine's in a case under a desk. His is open on a desk with the microphone shoved up against the fan.

Turn your fan to the same speed, open your case and stick your ear against the fan and you'll hear the same thing.

Mine's at 65% constant. There is a big difference in sound as soon as you hit 68%.
So yours is in a case under a desk, that means it will be warmer and louder.
I said a constant 65%, never goes lower, never goes higher. I idle at 40C, and the hottest I've seen it go is 80C when I ran Furmark.

That's only 4C warmer than your card in Furmark.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #307
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I said a constant 65%, never goes lower, never goes higher. I idle at 40C, and the hottest I've seen it go is 80C when I ran Furmark.

That's only 4C warmer than your card in Furmark.
I don't run synthetic tests (Furmark, 3DMark, PCMark, etc). I stick to real world. Hottest mine gets is about 63C after hours of gaming. This isn't really about my video card though. It's just that the GTX 480 is hot and loud.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #308
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post

Ah, mine sits at a cool 36C.

Pretty sure because we're using dual monitors. These fermis run a lot hotter because of the high idle clock speeds with dual monitors. It wouldn't be that hot with just one monitor.
Both camps increase temps with the amount of monitors. Each monitor adds about 2-3c (that I've noticed on my cards anyway)


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
It's just that the GTX 480 is hot and loud.
So is my overclocked 5970
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #309
Airbot

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

As far as fan noise goes, my 480 isn't much different at comparable fan speeds than my Radeon 5770 is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #310
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
It's just that the GTX 480 is hot and loud.
So is my overclocked 5970
Heh heh! With a pair of GPUs I would think so.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Just got my GTX 480




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App