Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Graphics Card/ PCI-E Slot Issue On Boot-up

01 Jun 2010   #21
pebbly

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Menutra View Post
Sorry for not responding in so long, I've been away for memorial day weekend. I didn't run any of the updates yet so no worries there.. and Yes I have an earth watts 500W power supply. I don't have the make/model right now because I'm at work but I can post it later today.

As for the other cards in the computer, I also have a sound card installed into the bottom PCI slot. I could switch the sound card to the more "middle" PCI slot and try it, but with the sound card in that slot I wont be able to put the 8800 GTS into the PCI-E slot (thanks gateway for giving me no room to work with). But to answer your question, yes there was the 8800 in the PCI-E and a sound card in one of the PCI slots.

If you want to see what my MB looks like you can go here and look right on the first page..
try the sound card in the middle slot if you like but i don't feel that is the problem , i will do a bit more searching see if i can find a solution


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Jun 2010   #22
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Unless it is faulty that power supply is more than enough for that card and the rest of the system (have the same one, Antec Earthwatts 500W). I would be more inclined to believe that it is a faulty video card (and yes they can go with no warning). Any way to test it in another computer? Also how long have you had the 8800 GT?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2010   #23
pebbly

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Mentura, have you disabled the onboard graphics in the bios ? that might be causing the conflict you have , when the pc went to sleep and you had probs waking it ,there is a possibility the system defaulted to onboard graphics so just check to ensure its not set to onboard graphics
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Jun 2010   #24
Menutra

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pebbly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Menutra View Post
Sorry for not responding in so long, I've been away for memorial day weekend. I didn't run any of the updates yet so no worries there.. and Yes I have an earth watts 500W power supply. I don't have the make/model right now because I'm at work but I can post it later today.

As for the other cards in the computer, I also have a sound card installed into the bottom PCI slot. I could switch the sound card to the more "middle" PCI slot and try it, but with the sound card in that slot I wont be able to put the 8800 GTS into the PCI-E slot (thanks gateway for giving me no room to work with). But to answer your question, yes there was the 8800 in the PCI-E and a sound card in one of the PCI slots.

If you want to see what my MB looks like you can go here and look right on the first page..
try the sound card in the middle slot if you like but i don't feel that is the problem , i will do a bit more searching see if i can find a solution

Okay, I will try that when I get home.

Yeah again I have come to the conclusion that it must be one of two things..

1. The BIOS or another part of the boot-up is having an issue with booting (maybe software or hardware wise) what is in the PCI-E slot, but when nothing is in the slot the system is allowed to boot fine.

or

2. The PCI-E slot is physically broken somehow.. which honestly wouldn't make a whole lot of sense..

Maybe this will help with a diagnosis.. I was on the computer looking through some videos. I realized my computer was running its fans very high constantly even when I wasn't streaming or anything, which was unusual.. So I set my power settings from high performance to regular performance to see if that would change anything. The fans seemed to calm down shortly after this change and I was going to get off the computer so I set it to sleep. **At this point everything was normal** I then returned about 30 minutes later and it just refused to boot out of sleep mode, then after I powered it down it refused to boot at all. (until of course I removed the graphics card and hooked up to the integrated card)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2010   #25
Menutra

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Unless it is faulty that power supply is more than enough for that card and the rest of the system (have the same one, Antec Earthwatts 500W). I would be more inclined to believe that it is a faulty video card (and yes they can go with no warning). Any way to test it in another computer? Also how long have you had the 8800 GT?
I got the card new about a year and 8 months ago, and I brought it in for a test at my local PC repair store and they said that the graphics card works fine so I'm not sure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2010   #26
Menutra

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pebbly View Post
Mentura, have you disabled the onboard graphics in the bios ? that might be causing the conflict you have , when the pc went to sleep and you had probs waking it ,there is a possibility the system defaulted to onboard graphics so just check to ensure its not set to onboard graphics
I actually think that I haven't tried this! I tried resetting everything in the BIOS and trying to adjust the PCI-E boot order stuff but I'm not sure exactly how to go about disabling the onboard graphics. Could you give me a general overview on how that would play out?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2010   #27
pebbly

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

without knowing the bios manf its hard to say but normally it will be under video or peripherals and say onboard graphics enable or disable sorry i cant be more specific maybe if stormy13 is still reading this he may be able to tell you more accurately
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2010   #28
Menutra

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pebbly View Post
without knowing the bios manf its hard to say but normally it will be under video or peripherals and say onboard graphics enable or disable sorry i cant be more specific maybe if stormy13 is still reading this he may be able to tell you more accurately
If i remember correctly, when i went into the BIOS all i could find that was close to reset bios settings was "turn on fail-safe settings" and another option about changing the settings.. Couldn't I reset the BIOS by removing the small battery on my motherboard? Then go back into the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics, set the PCI-E slot to be the main graphics, etc?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2010   #29
pebbly

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Menutra View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pebbly View Post
without knowing the bios manf its hard to say but normally it will be under video or peripherals and say onboard graphics enable or disable sorry i cant be more specific maybe if stormy13 is still reading this he may be able to tell you more accurately
If i remember correctly, when i went into the BIOS all i could find that was close to reset bios settings was "turn on fail-safe settings" and another option about changing the settings.. Couldn't I reset the BIOS by removing the small battery on my motherboard? Then go back into the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics, set the PCI-E slot to be the main graphics, etc?
yes that would set you you back to bios defaults
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2010   #30
Menutra

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Okay then once I reset it that way (since that seems like a easier way) I should have to boot once with my onboard card to enter my BIOS settings correct? Then do a list of things in the BIOS to get it to the correct state...

1. Set PCI-E to be the primary
2. Disable Onboard Graphics
3. (would I need to change anything for my audio card?)
4. (would I need to change anything about shared memory?)

then at what point should I plug my 8800 back in?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Graphics Card/ PCI-E Slot Issue On Boot-up




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cannot Identify this slot.. Need a graphics card for this PC
Hi, I have a dell optiplex which I think has a PCI slot but I am unsure if it is a PCI. As the connectors are so different.. I wish to get a low profile graphics. It is a slim line desktop.. Any ideas..
Hardware & Devices
PCI-E x16 Graphics Card to Fit a PCI-E slot.
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has tried this, I have a spare monitor and wondering what you think about doing this. I have an OLD ATI Graphics card (fits PCIE of course) and I know it will work but wondering if it's worth the effort. My 560ti has only a 2 monitor capability and just 1...
Graphic Cards
pci-e 2.0 graphics card compatible to pci-e 3.0 slot
i have a graphics card which its interface is PCI-E 2.0 x16 is it compatible/can work with my motherboard which has a slot of PCI-E 3.0 x16 so can it work without having damage
Hardware & Devices
want a low cost graphics card for pcie x1 slot
hey guys i want a low cost graphics card for my pc .i have motherboard which has pcie x1 slot .could u suggest me list of low cost(50$-70$) graphics card having SM 5.0
Graphic Cards
Is this the slot for a graphics card? (Other questions as well)
Ok, so I am helping a friend upgrade his desktop's graphics card. Apperantally, he currently has an integrated card, ad I belive you can install a dedicated card despite that, correct? Also, we are not sure exactally what slot the card goes in, we belive it is this one:...
Graphic Cards
Could my PCIx16 slot be the cause of 3 bad graphics card fans?
Ok I've got an Asus mobo, this one in fact: Newegg.com - ASUS P5K EPU LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard I've had this mobo for the last two years without any problems. Over the last year or so, my first Asus 9600GT graphics card went bad (the fan warped & stopped working, causing it...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App