Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How hard is it to change a graphics card?

20 Jul 2010   #1
AssaultRifle

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 
How hard is it to change a graphics card?

Okay, so I am not too great with computers, but I am purchasing this computer soon:

Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 551D3 Phenom II X4 965(3.4GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB ATI Radeon HD 5770 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I was wondering, how hard is it to change a graphics card? I am planning on changing the 5770 in this PC to a 5850 soon. Do I just take the card out of the motherboard and put in a new one? Or is it more difficult than that?

Also, does overclocking a GPU void your warrenty?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Jul 2010   #2
Davidxtux

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

It is very simple. What you do to take out the 5770 you apply in reverse for the 5850.. don't forget to plug in the power cord for the card! As far as overclocking your GPU voiding your warranty... it is a very debatable issue as most manufacturers give you the program to overclock. Though a stable system always runs at stock clocks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2010   #3
MK2

 
 

Hi,

I think you need a second six pin pci-e power supply connector for the 5850.
In the specs of the computer you want to buy I see it has a 700w power supply,
so that's strong enough and I think should have several 6 pin connectors but better to check first.

If you have the (latest) drivers installed for the 5770 you can use them for the 5850 also.

Technically if you overclock you will void the warranty but I think it depends on the manufacturer and type of card, but it will be difficult for the manufacturer to prove you overclocked it.

MK2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jul 2010   #4
Reilly

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

All you have to do : Open your Side of your case, unscrew and the old card and screw/place in the new one Good Luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2010   #5
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Davidxtux View Post
It is very simple. What you do to take out the 5770 you apply in reverse for the 5850.. don't forget to plug in the power cord for the card! As far as overclocking your GPU voiding your warranty... it is a very debatable issue as most manufacturers give you the program to overclock. Though a stable system always runs at stock clocks.
it only voids it if you flash the bios of them doesn't it?
and i strongly disagree with ure last comment
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2010   #6
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Davidxtux View Post
It is very simple. What you do to take out the 5770 you apply in reverse for the 5850.. don't forget to plug in the power cord for the card! As far as overclocking your GPU voiding your warranty... it is a very debatable issue as most manufacturers give you the program to overclock. Though a stable system always runs at stock clocks.
it only voids it if you flash the bios of them doesn't it?
and i strongly disagree with ure last comment
Why would you strongly disagree with the last statement?
You have more chance of instability when you overclock.

And you have to check with your card manufacturer, as some will void your warranty if you damage the card by overclocking it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2010   #7
thefabe

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

It's very easy. Just remember to touch the side of the metal case to make sure you have grounded yourself to avoid any transfer of static to the card or other parts. Handle the card by the edges only, just take your time and be careful and don't force anything.
You'll also most likely find a little clip/tab at the rear end of the PCI-e slot that needs to be moved using your thumb towards the top of the case in order to release the card. This of course after removing either the screw at the back of the case holding it in place or whatever screw less mechanism the case may have come with. Fabe tab at back of PCI-e slot
How hard is it to change a graphics card?-vieo-card-tab.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2010   #8
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Davidxtux View Post
It is very simple. What you do to take out the 5770 you apply in reverse for the 5850.. don't forget to plug in the power cord for the card! As far as overclocking your GPU voiding your warranty... it is a very debatable issue as most manufacturers give you the program to overclock. Though a stable system always runs at stock clocks.
it only voids it if you flash the bios of them doesn't it?
and i strongly disagree with ure last comment
Why would you strongly disagree with the last statement?
You have more chance of instability when you overclock.

.
he said a stable system always runs @ stock speed
which clearly isnt true
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2010   #9
Davidxtux

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

it only voids it if you flash the bios of them doesn't it?
and i strongly disagree with ure last comment
Why would you strongly disagree with the last statement?
You have more chance of instability when you overclock.

.
he said a stable system always runs @ stock speed
which clearly isnt true
It is absolutely true. You may achieve a state where the system will not crash but it is far from stable. If the component were to be stable at higher clocks/voltages the manufacturer would have built it as such. A stable system always runs at stock clocks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2010   #10
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Davidxtux View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post

Why would you strongly disagree with the last statement?
You have more chance of instability when you overclock.

.
he said a stable system always runs @ stock speed
which clearly isnt true
It is absolutely true. You may achieve a state where the system will not crash but it is far from stable. If the component were to be stable at higher clocks/voltages the manufacturer would have built it as such. A stable system always runs at stock clocks.
just because the builders of the components set the speeds to a certain number doesnt mean they cant run at higher speeds STABLE
my 5770's are running
core clock 942 and memory 1350
stock voltages rock solid stable
cpu @3.8 ghz stock voltages passes all cpu stresses i can also get it too 4.0ghz STABLE but needs a hefty voltage boost
so i have a overclocked STABLE SYSTEM
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How hard is it to change a graphics card?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Random restarts with AMD graphics card but not Nvidia graphics card
Hi for the last 4 months ive been trying to fix a problem that ive been having with my computer. about 4 months ago I did a major pc upgrade where i replaced my motherboard, processor, ram, heat sink, power supply and case, the only things I used from the original computer where 2 HDD's, 1 SDD and...
Graphic Cards
How do i change my Laptop Graphics Card?
I really want to have high framerate on high settings with i play League of Legends or any type of PC Game. Im currently running Windows 7 and 8 on separate. Specs: HP Pavillion g6 Notebook PC AMD Phenom(tm) II P960 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPU's), ~1.8 GHz 6 GB of Ram ATI Mobility Radeon...
Graphic Cards
Graphics Card Change, Strange Booting Before Bios POST
Hello New To The Forums Here So Heya =] This lil issue never really bothered me but is so irritant its like a bad itch. was wondering if anybody would take 2 secs to give a tiddy hand lol basicly: when i press the ON button without my ATI Radeon HD 5450 in the PCI-E slot my pc makes 1 click...
Hardware & Devices
Computer freezing (no BSOD) - hard disk or graphics card?
Hi Wondering if people can help me troubleshoot this problem I'm having. I've got a Win 7 64bit installation that keeps freezing. I've got two hard disks - windows & programs etc. on old 250gb and new 1tb disk for my docs/pics etc. I've got an ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card installed as well....
BSOD Help and Support
Resolution change after updating graphics card
I just updated my 5800 series Radeon, and now my display won't go past 1152 x 864. I know my laptop can go to 1440x900. What's going on?
Graphic Cards
How to change a graphics card shared memory?
I have a nvidia GeForce 9400 GT, how can a change the shared memory because for some reason its taking 1.5gb of my precious ram! Can I change it or will I have to buy a less ram thirsty graphics card
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App