Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: can't initialize to MBR!

29 Aug 2010   #61
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

You set the Raid mode?! That will automatically prevent XP from loading not being set up for any array to begin with for either version!

Arrays are for using one OS across more then one drive or for storage. For individual OSs each on a separate drive you would never use the Raid setting since that is intended to sync more then one drive together. You can still switch back now however. Setting up an array would mean wiping 7 out as well as the XP install you finally got on.

With XP already on the idea was simply to add a new entry into the 7 boot loader to see the option to boot into XP at startup added not reconfigure everything all over again. When 7 didn't run following the XP install the switch of drive modes was to get both working.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Aug 2010   #62
Alsenor

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
You set the Raid mode?! That will automatically prevent XP from loading not being set up for any array to begin with for either version!
I had to reset to default BIOS to get back into W7. There is IDE/RAID/AHCI as options to set, and the default went to RAID.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Arrays are for using one OS across more then one drive or for storage. For individual OSs each on a separate drive you would never use the Raid setting since that is intended to sync more then one drive together. You can still switch back now however. Setting up an array would mean wiping 7 out as well as the XP install you finally got on.
I didn't set up an array I think, it just shows as the setting. I suppose it is so that I could set one up if needed?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
With XP already on the idea was simply to add a new entry into the 7 boot loader to see the option to boot into XP at startup added not reconfigure everything all over again. When 7 didn't run following the XP install the switch of drive modes was to get both working.
Well, I went back in this thread to the instructions in How to Setup a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP When Windows 7 is Installed First "method two". That's where I saw this "Warning" about RAID.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #63
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

I didn't say you set up an array. But you wouldn't want to leave it set at Raid. This is why I mentioned going back in the bios once you had reset everything back to the defaults as well as looking over the guide there.

Most recent and new boards will see the options for setting up an array often with a second pair of drives typically for expanding your storage capacity. A few posts back you mentioned seeing the missing ntldr error message apparently when trying to boot from the second drive if I am correct on that.

That doesn't have to be a bootable drive however to see XP load when the 7 host drive has the XP boot files present and the entry for XP in the 7 BCD. With 7 running the next step would be finding out if XP will load with the option seen in the 7 boot loader the way it is or to see if a change of the drive mode is needed.

If you already copied the boot files over and added the entry in for XP and ran into the error that would be a result of not having edited the boot.ini file to point to the correct drive which should be seen as "rdisk(1)partition(1)" rather then the default install's "rdisk(0)partition(1)" since XP went on without the 7 drive present. The boot files and mbr entries originally went to the second drive now being seen as the second not first.

The next two screens here will show the correction with the first being the default taken from the XP Mode which of course is the Pro edition there. The second will show the correction for the second drive needed in order to see XP load.

The third shows how to overwrite the original copy of the boot.ini by using the "all files" not "Text Documents [*.txt]" format since you want an exact match not a text file to see this part done. These will give you a reference to work with once you have the "read only" box unchecked in the copy. You may need to take ownership in order to keep the read only box cleared however.


Attached Thumbnails
can't initialize to MBR!-xp-boot.ini-default.jpg   can't initialize to MBR!-xp-boot.ini-dual-boot-correction.jpg   can't initialize to MBR!-xp-boot.ini-overwrite.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Aug 2010   #64
Alsenor

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
I didn't say you set up an array. But you wouldn't want to leave it set at Raid. This is why I mentioned going back in the bios once you had reset everything back to the defaults as well as looking over the guide there.
So what should I set the BIOS to?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Most recent and new boards will see the options for setting up an array often with a second pair of drives typically for expanding your storage capacity. A few posts back you mentioned seeing the missing ntldr error message apparently when trying to boot from the second drive if I am correct on that.
Yes, you are. I had set the BIOS to IDE, thinking that is what it takes to boot into XP, but the NTLDR is missing" came up. The way I understand it now is that I really don't have to boot into XP to add those needed files to it, like SP3, etc.?
I also don't understand why I originally was able to boot into XP, right after installing it, and no NTLDR missing came up!

I am getting more confused over what to do next every day I see more instructions!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #65
Alsenor

 
 

This is pretty good instruction on the slip streaming process: How To: Slipstream Windows XP SP3 and Vista SP1 | Maximum PC
Only trouble is that I was not able to download the SP3 package from the MS site - it repeatedly stopped, claiming it couldn't read from the source file. So I had to give up!
Does anyone have that file, or know how to get it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #66
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

I posted the link for the full redistributed page back a page in the thread here. You simply download that to a folder until you can run in XP. Windows XP Service Pack 3 Download - Softpedia

(Note: Use Mirror #2 not the first IT developers version! Mirror #3 for ISO dvd image)

Due to that being over 300mb in size once downloaded you can burn it to a cd-r to have onhand. In fact MS originally had a 522mb ISO image for the SP3 for seeing it installed on several machines you burned to a dvd-r when the service pack was first released.

Softpedia still carries SP2 for XP as well and both SPs for Vista. You can expect to eventually see the redistributable form of SP1 for 7 there at some point as well.

Now as far as XP still not loading which mode and which drive was set as default when seeing it run the first time? I thought you mentioned you had the bios set in the ide mode and saw XP installed. You might want to list the steps you have taken so far in order to backtrack a little to see what changes you have made since XP was running.

Once you replugged the 7 drive back in the XP was moved to the second drive status as the 7 drive should have automatically been made the default boot device. Have you copied the XP boot files over to the 7 drive?

These are the things you have to look at now in order to find out why XP is not starting up for you.

1) Windows Explorer menu bar>Tools>Folder options>View tab uncheck "files with known extension types" and "protected operating system files" in order to make all boot files visible.

2) copy not edit XP boot files from second drive onto the root of the W7 host drive.

3) edit copy of not original boot.ini file to point copy of ntldr at second drive.

4) add new entry into W7 BCD store and boot options menu with EasyBCD once XP drive provided a drive letter in 7 Disk Management tool. Then associate XP entry to that drive letter in EasyBCD.

5) Verify new entry in EasyBCD view settings prior to system restart to select XP option at startup.

From what you said the XP drive was immediately available showing a trip into the DM to assign a drive letter wouldn't be needed. When adding in the new entry however the correct drive letter will be needed and why you should always verfiy the entry was correct before a full restart with any dual boot setup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #67
Alsenor

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
I posted the link for the full redistributed page back a page in the thread here. You simply download that to a folder until you can run in XP. Windows XP Service Pack 3 Download - Softpedia
Great - I am downloading it right now. I wonder why the MS site is so lame on those dl's.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Due to that being over 300mb in size once downloaded you can burn it to a cd-r to have onhand.
That would be for future re-installations I suppose.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Now as far as XP still not loading which mode and which drive was set as default when seeing it run the first time? I thought you mentioned you had the bios set in the ide mode and saw XP installed. You might want to list the steps you have taken so far in order to backtrack a little to see what changes you have made since XP was running.
I only had changed to IDE, and made the XP drive to load first in the HDD group.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Once you replugged the 7 drive back in the XP was moved to the second drive status as the 7 drive should have automatically been made the default boot device.
That may be the reason! I didn't think about the automatic priority change on reconnection of the W7 drive.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Have you copied the XP boot files over to the 7 drive?
No, that is one of the things I don't know how to do yet.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
These are the things you have to look at now in order to find out why XP is not starting up for you.

1) Windows Explorer menu bar>Tools>Folder options>View tab uncheck "files with known extension types" and "protected operating system files" in order to make all boot files visible.

2) copy not edit XP boot files from second drive onto the root of the W7 host drive.
I can't find the boot files on the XP drive. Are they in the Windows folder?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
3) edit copy of not original boot.ini file to point copy of ntldr at second drive.
I don't understand this instruction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #68
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

OK! You just confirmed that you haven't attempted any edits of the boot.ini file itself. I was trying to find out why you were running into the missing ntldr error if you weren't even booting from the second but first drive where 7 is.

As for SP3 not having an XP SP3 installation disk you will likely want to back it up on a cd-r for availability in case you have an oops! of some type and need another XP install at some point. That will save the download time at least.

Step #1 is unhiding the protected system files by going into any Windows Explorer window and running a fast trip upto the menu bar there. You go across to the Tools and drop the menu there and scroll down to "Folder options". Once the next screen appears you want to open the View tab since you are going to change a pair of view settings to make all system files visible.

Once you uncheck the two items named and click the apply button you will be prompted by Windows with the typical warning and confirmation screen. While you won't be changing any 7 files at the root you will want to get to know which ones are present to tell them apart from the XP files coming over. This will also prevent any inability to see them on the XP drive since those are also protected files for the older version.

Simply copy and paste the 3 XP boot files onto the root of C on the 7 drive. NTDETECT.COM, ntldr, and boot.ini You certainly won't need or want the other files or even XP's paging file copied over as useless clutter!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #69
Alsenor

 
 

There is a check at "Show hidden drives, folders and files". That is the only one present.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #70
Alsenor

 
 

On the XP drive I looked under the Windows folder, then under the system folder, and system32 folder, but not a single one of these 3 files shows up. In the system32 folder are 3 boot*** files, but not the boot.ini!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 can't initialize to MBR!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WD 320 GB that can't initialize
I have a similar problem that can't solve. I have a WD 320 GB that can't initialize. It all started when I disconnected it without using the notifications icon on the right below (in windows 7). Immediately after that I tried to connect it to another computer, but couldn't open the drive,...
Hardware & Devices
Cannot Initialize Harddrive
Hey, I boot into windows and my Raid0 disks are gone, Disk Management shows the disk as Unallocated. Unable to initialize the disk even, just gives an error "Windows cannot find the file specified" the first time after i launch windows, after that it greys out and im unable to use that option. ...
Hardware & Devices
How to add 3Tb drv for music: initialize as MBR or GPT?
I want to add this 3tb drive as a digital music repository, from which I will play my ripped CDs. It is installed and the PC (Win7 Prof) asked if I wanted to initialize as MBR or GPT? I have the OS on a SSD, have a 500GB HDD installed for games etc. Well gurus, which option do I...
Hardware & Devices
Can't initialize drive
Just built new pc. My os is on an ssd. Win 7 home. I also have a 1 tb mech drive. When initializing the mech drive I canceled the process. Dummy. Now I am unable to initialize. The drive is listed in the device mgr. It is shown under manage drives but nothing telling me that the drive needs to be...
Hardware & Devices
Cannot Initialize HDD
Hey there, I'm having trouble getting my new Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HDD to initialize. It Shows up under devices, and I'm able to see it's properties etc... When I locate it with the device manager, and right click it, I'm only given the options to Uninstall, Update the Drives, Disable, Scan...
Hardware & Devices
XP Can't Initialize
I installed everything ok. I have an e8300 which is listed in the supported CPU's list. When I go to run it for the first time, I get this error http://www.badongo.com/t/800/6096768.jpg It then proceeds with the setup until it reaches the end and gives me the "can't initialize" error, or...
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App