Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Will upgrading a processor reduce the fan RPM?

28 Aug 2010   #1
jwblue

Window 7
 
 
Will upgrading a processor reduce the fan RPM?

I have an Intel E5200 Dual Core processor on a Sony all-in-one computer. It is a hybrid notebook/desktop computer.

Whenever I play the Mahjong Titans (the game that comes with Windows 7), the fan runs at a high RPM. When Windows boots, it is at 2150 RPM. After playing Mahjong Titans for about an hour, the RPM goes to about 3,300 and the fan is loud. It always happens.
The temperature of the cores remain at 36 and 38 degrees.

If I upgrade the processor to an E7400 Core 2 Duo, will that processor not heat up as much as the E5200 when playing Mahjong Titans and consequently lower the fan RPM?

The temperature of the cores remain at 36 and 38 degrees.

I am not looking for any other solutions. I have tried everything else imagineable.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Aug 2010   #2
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Probably Not.

While playing MT, open the task manager and look to see how much of the processor's capacity is being used. I'll bet not much. So a faster processor would not change anything, would it?

It is probably the graphics chip, running a 3D program, that is working hard and creating heat. The "laptop" fan (those hybrid enclosures are just as cramped and therefore will have the same issues with cooling) will run hard if the processor, graphics, or hard drive is creating the heat.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #3
christoua

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

The only way the fan RPM would go up is if you tell it too using software, or if the processor is of a higher wattage and/or works hotter
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Aug 2010   #4
jwblue

Window 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Probably Not.

While playing MT, open the task manager and look to see how much of the processor's capacity is being used. I'll bet not much. So a faster processor would not change anything, would it?

It is probably the graphics chip, running a 3D program, that is working hard and creating heat. The "laptop" fan (those hybrid enclosures are just as cramped and therefore will have the same issues with cooling) will run hard if the processor, graphics, or hard drive is creating the heat.
If I were to get a dedicated GPU, could that solve the problem?

Will an E5200 processor work with a dedicated GPU?

Is so, what is a lower end GPU what can play that game? We don't play any other games on that system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #5
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

It might not, because if the problem is heat in an overly enclosed space then a more powerful graphics card might make it worse!

I don't know if you can add a "real" graphics card to those systems. I've seen them in stores but have never had the opportunity to open one up and look inside.

Perhaps if you posted the model number of the unit, or better yet, a link to your product's specs page on the Sony website, we could look at what it is and tell you if that is possible.

With no exceptions I can think of, any processor will work with any graphics card. You are more limited by the motherboard, and in your case, the system design.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #6
jwblue

Window 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
It might not, because if the problem is heat in an overly enclosed space then a more powerful graphics card might make it worse!

I don't know if you can add a "real" graphics card to those systems. I've seen them in stores but have never had the opportunity to open one up and look inside.

Perhaps if you posted the model number of the unit, or better yet, a link to your product's specs page on the Sony website, we could look at what it is and tell you if that is possible.

With no exceptions I can think of, any processor will work with any graphics card. You are more limited by the motherboard, and in your case, the system design.
Model number: VGC-JS320J/S.

VGC-JS320J/S | VAIO® JS Series Desktop PC | Sony | Sony Style USA

They do have systems with the exact same case that come with nVIDIA GeForce 9300M graphics cards.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #7
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

With those types of Desktops, most of the general rules for laptops also apply. This includes heat. Heat literally destroys electronics. You might be able to turn down the fan speed with software, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd just be happy the computer is that cool.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #8
spyknee

W7 Ulti/64, XP Pro/32
 
 

Its doing what it was designed to do. In some mobo bios system fans can be on auto tune, more heat more fan. Sometimes you can give fan speed a preset, non changing value. Find your tolerance level and leave it. Guarantee'd to make puter run hotter. +/-
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #9
archie123

Win 10 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

you fan shouldnt be running at its max rpm playing a game like that , its getting far too hot

run this techPowerUp! :: Downloads

real temp 3.4 and tell us what temp yopur cpu is getting too when gaming

that wayu we can determine if its getting too hot of your cpu fan profile is screwed

btw have you ever checked to make sure your cpu heatsink isnt clogged up with dust?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #10
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
Model number: VGC-JS320J/S.

VGC-JS320J/S | VAIO® JS Series Desktop PC | Sony | Sony Style USA

They do have systems with the exact same case that come with nVIDIA GeForce 9300M graphics cards.
Yeah, you see, that box has an Intel G45 graphics chip soldered to the motherboard.

And I can't tell from Sony's website whether there is an expansion slot for a video upgrade path (that website is geared for the consumer, not the enthusiast). You could take a look in your manual to see if they say anything about upgrading/installing a video card.

It looks a lot like it is what it is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Will upgrading a processor reduce the fan RPM?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I want to Reduce my Laptop processor heat
Hi, I am using Laptop 160GB HDD ,GB RAM, AMD TURION N550 processor. My processor cooling fan runs very fastly from booting time and emitting hot air continually. 1. I changed bios settings as defaults. 2. Changed OS. 3. Cooling fan is clean and clear. 4. No dust in air Ventilaters. 5....
Hardware & Devices
Upgrading processor from intel pentium dual core t2310 1.46 GHz...
I am trying to figure out what processor is compatible with my motherboard in my HP Pavilion dv6628us notebook. I've read the manual and looked on HP's PartSurfer. PartSurfer listed a number of them from 1.46 GHz to 2.4 GHz. I purchased an intel duo processor 2.4GHz that did not work. Now I'm...
Installation & Setup
Help upgrading to win7 64-bit with new MB, RAM, Processor.
Hi everyone. Thanks for looking to help. I'm looking to upgrade some of the hardware on my rig. I already have everything i wanted (new MB, RAM, processor) but the win7 64-bit edition. I'm having a hard time to decide which one to buy. I was reading through some of the comments on the home...
Installation & Setup
Upgrading Laptop Processor
I've got a Core 2 Duo T6400 2.00 GHz and I want to upgrade. What Processors can I upgrade too? What do you all recommend? It it as easy as I've been reading were you pop out the old processor and snap in the new one? More detailed laptop specs (Dell Studio 1537): Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00...
Hardware & Devices
Upgrading processor
I currently have a Dell XPS 8100 with an i7. I am considering upgrading to the new i7, how complex would it be? What would I have to do? Thanks
Hardware & Devices
Upgrading Processor
Hello everyone. I have a Desktop PC stored away, that has a Single-Core AMD Sempron 2.0Ghz (AM2 Socket) Processor, could that be upgraded to a Dual-Core (AM2 Socket)? Or no? :| If that didn't make sense let me know lol
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App