Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Scheduled Defrag Disabled for SSD, but what about 2nd HD?

06 Nov 2010   #1
Mauser GDog

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Scheduled Defrag Disabled for SSD, but what about 2nd HD?

Hello Win7 forums.
I have my OS installed on a Kingston 64gb SSD, and have disabled scheduled defrags in my Administrative Tools.

I have a second mechanical drive installed for storage and non-vital applications, and can't seem to defrag this drive. I select Disk Defrag for that drive but nothing happens.

My questions is, with Disk Defrag Disabled to care for my SSD, how do I manually defrag my second HD? Or even better, is there a way to turn on scheduled defrag for the mechanical HD only?

Thank you, MGD


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Nov 2010   #2
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mauser GDog View Post
Hello Win7 forums.
I have my OS installed on a Kingston 64gb SSD, and have disabled scheduled defrags in my Administrative Tools.

I have a second mechanical drive installed for storage and non-vital applications, and can't seem to defrag this drive. I select Disk Defrag for that drive but nothing happens.

My questions is, with Disk Defrag Disabled to care for my SSD, how do I manually defrag my second HD? Or even better, is there a way to turn on scheduled defrag for the mechanical HD only?

Thank you, MGD
Welcome to Seven Forums Mauser GDog. How did you disable schuduled defrags? You can delete the default task which is for C: and create a new task with the same perameters to defrag the 2nd drive (D:?). A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2010   #3
Mauser GDog

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I disabled it via:
Control Panel - Admin Tools - Task Scheduler - Microsoft - Windows - Defrag: set to disabled.

Will see about creating a new task for my 2nd Drive right now, thanks for the suggestion, will report back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Nov 2010   #4
Mauser GDog

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

The defrag task is entered as:
Action: Start a Program
Details: %windir%\system32\defrag.exe -c
I can edit the action, and it lists "-c" as "add arguments". I assume the C is for my SSD Drive which is named C.

I am hesitant to try and create a task for my SATA (F Drive, this is all new to me.
Wonder if I could simply make a new task with:
Action: Start a Program
Details: %windir%\system32\defrag.exe -f

I doubt it will work, seems like I need to browse to the drive I want to defrag, will keep playing with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2010   #5
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mauser GDog View Post
The defrag task is entered as:
Action: Start a Program
Details: %windir%\system32\defrag.exe -c
I can edit the action, and it lists "-c" as "add arguments". I assume the C is for my SSD Drive which is named C.

I am hesitant to try and create a task for my SATA (F Drive, this is all new to me.
Wonder if I could simply make a new task with:
Action: Start a Program
Details: %windir%\system32\defrag.exe -f

I doubt it will work, seems like I need to browse to the drive I want to defrag, will keep playing with it.
Yes, starting a new task was what I suggested. I believe -c is an arguement, not C:

I believe it would be

%windir%\system32\defrag.exe F: (assuming 2nd drive is F: )

To see all the arguements

Start> Type cmd in search and click on cmd.exe in results above> In command prompt type

defrag.exe /?

This is what you will get

Scheduled Defrag Disabled for SSD, but what about 2nd HD?-arguements.jpg

A Guy


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #6
Mauser GDog

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Oh nice, thanks.
Looking through the list of arguments I see what needs to be done.
Getting into unknown territory here, but it's interesting.

Thanks for your help Guy.
MGD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #7
pbcopter

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I would reenable the scheduled defrag in the task scheduler and then just deselect the C: drive from the list in the defrager itself.
BTW, when I installed my OCZ SSD drive, Windows & automatically removed the SSD (C from the defrag schedule list.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #8
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

You can defrag your second drive manually the same way you've always done it. Using the built-in defragger, which should be in your Start Menu, or by going to the Properties of the drive, under Tools, and choosing the defragger.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #9
Mauser GDog

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
You can defrag your second drive manually the same way you've always done it. Using the built-in defragger, which should be in your Start Menu, or by going to the Properties of the drive, under Tools, and choosing the defragger.
In my OP I mentioned that I can't seem to manually defrag it, which is why I am here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #10
Mauser GDog

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
I would reenable the scheduled defrag in the task scheduler and then just deselect the C: drive from the list in the defrager itself.
BTW, when I installed my OCZ SSD drive, Windows & automatically removed the SSD (C from the defrag schedule list.
Promising, let me see if that works for my setup. Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Scheduled Defrag Disabled for SSD, but what about 2nd HD?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Auslogics Disk Defrag vs IObit Smart Defrag
Which Defragger do you think is better, because I am trying to decide between the two, but can't decide on one or the other.
Software
Auslogics Defrag vs Win7 built-in Defrag?
Auslogic's Disk Defrag is a free utility. Does anyone know how it compares to Win 7's built in defrag utility? Is it worth downloading over what's already there?
Performance & Maintenance
Does Puran Defrag 7.3 Free work with Windows 7 Defrag disabled ?
I normally set the Disk Defragmenter Task Schedule to DISABLED, and leave the Windows Disk Defragmenter defragsvc set to DISABLED. Will Puran Free be able to safely and fully operate under these conditions, or should I change defragsvc to MANUAL. I occasionally create a Macrium FULL image...
Software
Windows Disk Defrag Doesn't Defrag
Disk defrag stops analyzing at 62% and doesn't go any further. So I downloaded Defraggler and ran it. It worked but it wouldn't defrag down to 0% fragmentation, It still shows 4% after defrag.
Performance & Maintenance
Does Windows Defrag defrag system files?
Hi all. Stupid question here... A friend of mine was speaking highly about this PerfectDisk prog because "it defrags system files." I was kind of surprised because I thought (assumed) that the defrag utility built into Windows 7 already defragged system files. Is this not true? I do not...
Performance & Maintenance
scheduled Disk defrag does not run
Dear forum members, my scheduled Disk defrag does not run in Win7 home 64 bit. I have made sure that all appropriate areas are ticked. Also in Services.msc the defragmenter is set to automatic and I have started the service. No Go. I have tried setting daily 5pm no go, 6pm and watched, no go. I...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App