Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CPU upgrade advice

08 Nov 2010   #11
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

I would suggest a Q9550 but QX9770 would be faster


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Nov 2010   #12
scarecrow

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Hey pparks, I was thinking the same thing. I was looking at the prices and values of 775 CPUS and I thought to myself, why waste the money on such a little upgrade? I might as well get a new mobo and look at better processors, right? I'm almost kind of hesitant to O/C because first I know nothing about it and second I'm scared to fry this damn thing. Lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #13
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
I would suggest a Q9550 but QX9770 would be faster
True....but they are hard to find and very expensive when you do. Considering almost any current gen chip will outperform it for less money... I'm not sure why anybody would want to hunt down a QX9770.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Nov 2010   #14
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I have a Q9550 with a slight overclock and it's great. However, this CPU is running $275 at NewEgg right now....so I hesitate to say upgrading the CPU is a wise move since you are already on a quad core.

Generally speaking, I find that sockets just change far too rapidly anymore to consider upgrading a CPU. It's often a matter of replacing the mobo, cpu and RAM when you are ready to change.
That's not exactly accurate.

I mean, LGA 775's been around since what... '06?, and It wasn't until '08 that Intel came up with a new socket, LGA 1366, that's a good ~2 year differential right there, pretty reasonable if you asked me, and Sandy Bridge won't come out until '11, so that makes it another ~2 years (LGA 1366 came out late '08, November IIRC) between LGA 1366 and LGA 1155.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #15
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
I would suggest a Q9550 but QX9770 would be faster
Not by much.

Extreme editions are only worth buying if they have larger caches or something to that effect, but in this case, Q9550 has the same amount of L2 cache as the Q9650 or QX9770 (12MB).

I'd go for a Q9550 here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #16
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I have a Q9550 with a slight overclock and it's great. However, this CPU is running $275 at NewEgg right now....so I hesitate to say upgrading the CPU is a wise move since you are already on a quad core.

Generally speaking, I find that sockets just change far too rapidly anymore to consider upgrading a CPU. It's often a matter of replacing the mobo, cpu and RAM when you are ready to change.
That's not exactly accurate.

I mean, LGA 775 has been around since what... '06?, and It wasn't until '08 that Intel came up with a new socket, LGA 1366, that's a good ~2 years differential right there, pretty reasonable if you asked me, and Sandy Bridge won't come out until '11, so that makes it another ~2 years (LGA 1366 came out late '08, November IIRC) between LGA 1366 and LGA 1155.

The point is that the jump from a Q8200 to a Q9550 isn't that much....but really covers the lifespan of the 775 socket. So, while you can technically get a faster CPU which fits that existing socket, the performance attained is going to be far less than the current gen CPU's...and this upgrade may in fact cost you more than the current gen CPU as well.

I'd much rather spend the money to upgrade to something like a Core i5-760...which is a $205 CPU...but of course, that requires an LGA 1156 mobo...and new RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #17
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I have a Q9550 with a slight overclock and it's great. However, this CPU is running $275 at NewEgg right now....so I hesitate to say upgrading the CPU is a wise move since you are already on a quad core.

Generally speaking, I find that sockets just change far too rapidly anymore to consider upgrading a CPU. It's often a matter of replacing the mobo, cpu and RAM when you are ready to change.
That's not exactly accurate.

I mean, LGA 775 has been around since what... '06?, and It wasn't until '08 that Intel came up with a new socket, LGA 1366, that's a good ~2 years differential right there, pretty reasonable if you asked me, and Sandy Bridge won't come out until '11, so that makes it another ~2 years (LGA 1366 came out late '08, November IIRC) between LGA 1366 and LGA 1155.

The point is that the jump from a Q8200 to a Q9550 isn't that much....but really covers the lifespan of the 775 socket. So, while you can technically get a faster CPU which fits that existing socket, the performance attained is going to be far less than the current gen CPU's...and this upgrade may in fact cost you more than the current gen CPU as well.

I'd much rather spend the money to upgrade to something like a Core i5-760...which is a $205 CPU...but of course, that requires an LGA 1156 mobo...and new RAM.
There you go.

That's why the first question I asked him was, 'how much are you willing to spend?', maybe a whole platform upgrade was within his budget.

And I disagree with you here, a Q9550 would make a significant difference over a Q8200 performance wise, you gotta remember, a Q8200 is as low as it gets in the quad core department, a Q9550 has 3 times the cache and ~500MHz increase.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #18
scarecrow

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Can my mobo handle the Q9550?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #19
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy View Post
And I disagree with you here, a Q9550 would make a significant difference over a Q8200 performance wise, you gotta remember, a Q8200 is as low as it gets in the quad core department, a Q9550 has 3 times the cache and ~500MHz increase.
Will there be a difference...certainly. Will it be worth $275??? That's an altogether different question. If it were me, spending close to $300...I'd want a huge kick in the pants. It would be hard to spend $275 on a CPU...knowing that a $205 CPU on a different socket would be a huge bump yet again in performance.

As far as a 500Mhz performance increase.....not really sure how big of a difference that would make. I overclocked my Q9550 from 2.8Ghz to 3.2ghz...so i picked up about 400Mhz....but cannot really say that overclocking by that amount made a tangible performance increase in anything other than benchmarks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #20
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy View Post
And I disagree with you here, a Q9550 would make a significant difference over a Q8200 performance wise, you gotta remember, a Q8200 is as low as it gets in the quad core department, a Q9550 has 3 times the cache and ~500MHz increase.
Will there be a difference...certainly. Will it be worth $275??? That's an altogether different question. If it were me, spending close to $300...I'd want a huge kick in the pants. It would be hard to spend $275 on a CPU...knowing that a $205 CPU on a different socket would be a huge bump yet again in performance.
Probably not. But the difference would be VERY noticeable.

Look, I agree with you on the whole idea that a complete platform upgrade (either to LGA 1156 or LGA 1366) would net him the best possible performance increase right now. But until the OP comes out and says, 'look I have this much to spend $xxx', we can't do anything about it other than suggest him better CPU's for his current platform.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
As far as a 500Mhz performance increase.....not really sure how big of a difference that would make. I overclocked my Q9550 from 2.8Ghz to 3.2ghz...so i picked up about 400Mhz....but cannot really say that overclocking by that amount made a tangible performance increase in anything other than benchmarks.
The ~500MHz increase is secondary, the 3 times the L2 cache (4MB vs 12MB), that's where the real difference is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CPU upgrade advice




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
GPU Upgrade Advice
Hello, everyone. Anyway, I have been looking at the recent GPU wars between the green and red. I am interested in either the 760 or the 280X due to budget restrains. They both have good promotions for the games and offer but I was wondering how do the code works? I live in Singapore so, am I...
Graphic Cards
Looking for advice on a cpu upgrade
Will the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad-Core 3.4 (Deneb) 125w cpu work with the Pegatron M2N78-LA. Aka HP: Violet6-GL8E mother board
Hardware & Devices
CPU Upgrade I need advice.
I'm looking to upgrade my CPU. I use my PC mainly for gaming. Thanks!
Hardware & Devices
Upgrade advice
hi all :) im upgrading my HD 5550 card to a HD 6770 and i notice the ccc management is the same for both cards from AMD update. now do i un-install the ccc or could i leave it on the machine because its the same? do i have to un-install the driver from device manager for the HD...
Graphic Cards
Need advice with GPU upgrade
I have a nvidia 9600GSO 384mb ddr3, i would like to upgrade it, but my budget goes only up to 100 euros. Could anyone suggest a nice GPU that would fit into my system and won't require a PSU upgrade? I know this one is a little old, but it sure is a lot better than my present GPU, nvidia 9800GT...
Hardware & Devices
upgrade advice ?
hi. our school has just got a new pc for the secretary and it came pre installed with win 7 home , can we upgrade to "professional" using the same licence key . any advice howto would be appreciated. i believe we paid for a professional licence so do we download professional software or can we...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:56.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App