Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 4GB ram usage error?

02 Dec 2010   #11
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MiserySyndrome View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
hi and hello first check will be
  1. type msconfig in start menu and click on result
  2. go to boot and click advanced options
  3. in maximum memory make sure the box is UNTICKED
  4. click ok
  5. click apply
  6. click ok
  7. reboot if asked by windows
It it still gives a total of 2.7GB ...
The rest RAM seems to be hardware reserved, you might gain more additional RAM(3GB+) if you install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 as the 32-bit one will only address up to 2.6-3.25GB of RAM


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Dec 2010   #12
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
How to Restrict a Video Card's Memory How to Restrict a Video Card's Memory | eHow.com
But this won't apply to OP's system
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2010   #13
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
How to Restrict a Video Card's Memory How to Restrict a Video Card's Memory | eHow.com
But this won't apply to OP's system
okey dokey i removed the post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Dec 2010   #14
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
How to Restrict a Video Card's Memory How to Restrict a Video Card's Memory | eHow.com
But this won't apply to OP's system
You're right that it won't help the OP's system, and actually won't help any system,

What is AGP Aperture size? | techPowerUp

Think of it as a pagefile for the video card set at the bios level and only actually gets used if the memory on the card is filled and needs more. Changing it won't make any difference as to the physical amount of memory on the card. That and that setting disappeared from bios' about the same time that PCI-E cards came out.

With 4 GB of system ram and a 1 GB video card the only way to free up that 1 GB back to system ram is 64 bit.

Quote:
And a friend of mine has Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and has the same problem with a 4GB RAM
That is a topic for another thread, but if his system only supports up to 4 GB ram then all the same limitations that apply to 32 bit will apply when running 64 bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2010   #15
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
How to Restrict a Video Card's Memory How to Restrict a Video Card's Memory | eHow.com
But this won't apply to OP's system
You're right that it won't help the OP's system, and actually won't help any system,

What is AGP Aperture size? | techPowerUp

Think of it as a pagefile for the video card set at the bios level and only actually gets used if the memory on the card is filled and needs more. Changing it won't make any difference as to the physical amount of memory on the card. That and that setting disappeared from bios' about the same time that PCI-E cards came out.

With 4 GB of system ram and a 1 GB video card the only way to free up that 1 GB back to system ram is 64 bit.

Quote:
And a friend of mine has Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and has the same problem with a 4GB RAM
That is a topic for another thread, but if his system only supports up to 4 GB ram then all the same limitations that apply to 32 bit will apply when running 64 bit.
like i said i removed the post
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2010   #16
MiserySyndrome

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (x64) 6.1.7601
 
 

Thank you everybody
But do I have to got the USB driver plugged in at all times?
Or not?
And is an SD card good as well?
Because I can keep SD'cards inserted in my SD slot at all times
And not having to remove my USB drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2010   #17
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MiserySyndrome View Post
Thank you everybody
But do I have to got the USB driver plugged in at all times?
Or not?
And is an SD card good as well?
Because I can keep SD'cards inserted in my SD slot at all times
And not having to remove my USB drive
yes leave it in if you want best performance. if you choose the settings like mine in the pic (dedicate this device to readyboost) if you need to take it out to use another sd card for pics etc windows will remember it when you put it back in the slot, what i do is call the drive readyboost or RB so i no what drive it is also if you click on it in computer you will see the readyboost icon as like in my other pic (also a good way to see if windows has configured it). the SD slot will be good i use that its ok and it saves a thumb drive sticking out!! what size sd do you have?


Attached Images
4GB ram usage error?-readyboost1.png 4GB ram usage error?-readyboost2.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2010   #18
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

here is a pic showing the readyboost working in my pc also have a read of this in this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../ff356869.aspx


Attached Thumbnails
4GB ram usage error?-ready-boost-cache.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2010   #19
MiserySyndrome

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (x64) 6.1.7601
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MiserySyndrome View Post
Thank you everybody
But do I have to got the USB driver plugged in at all times?
Or not?
And is an SD card good as well?
Because I can keep SD'cards inserted in my SD slot at all times
And not having to remove my USB drive
yes leave it in if you want best performance. if you choose the settings like mine in the pic (dedicate this device to readyboost) if you need to take it out to use another sd card for pics etc windows will remember it when you put it back in the slot, what i do is call the drive readyboost or RB so i no what drive it is also if you click on it in computer you will see the readyboost icon as like in my other pic (also a good way to see if windows has configured it). the SD slot will be good i use that its ok and it saves a thumb drive sticking out!! what size sd do you have?
i don't have one right now.. I have a 4GB SD in my camera, but I need that xD
So I might buy one
what size u suggest?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2010   #20
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

hi there 4 GB will be ok windows will recognize it ok when you first put it in you should get a window pop up with choices as in the pic i have posted and choose speed up my system and dedicate the disc to readyboost


Attached Images
4GB ram usage error?-readyboost3.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 4GB ram usage error?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD 0x00000124 Error after usage for video games
First off my specs (i am providing links to the parts i purchased at newegg.com) : HD: Western Digital WD Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com RAM: 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD after 5 hrs of normal usage, 9f error 0000000000000003
Few months ago someone let me have this nice little notebook she hardly used after it sat around in her closet for awhile. I cleaned off a few bad guys and downloaded over 60 windows updates and it seemed to work fine. Only recently I've been experiencing a growing frequency of intermittent BSODs...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD - Random Usage - multiple error codes - 0x0000003b
I've attached the zip file of dumps from BSOD. This is on my sisters computers which I can only access remotely. Specs as follows: Rosewill R363-M Case with PSU Biostar A75MG FM1 Mobo AMD A6-3500 Llano CPU Partiot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2x4GB) OCZ Vertex Pus R2 60GB SSD
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD during regular computer usage, error 0x00000124
Occasionally while running my computer my computer would suddenly restarts itself or even worse BSOD. This happened for a few months now but it's starting to get pretty annoying so I wonder if anyone know what the problem is. I made no hardware changes for over a year. I would like to get this...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD f4 error at different points of computer usage
Hello all, First time poster here, so I hope I'll give you everything you need. What's the problem? I've got a self-built desktop that produces f4 BSODs at random. - I've had them when I was booting up my computer and immediately after I just selected my user. - I've had them when I was...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD in normal usage, error 0x0000008E
This is the second BSOD I get this week, but isn't the same error code, the other one was 0x000000D1. My specs: Windows 7 Professional x86 (32-bit) retail - the original installed OS on the system? NO, it's a clonic PC so it came without any OS into it.
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App