Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB 3.0 SATA 3 and 5400 or 7200RPM drives

05 Dec 2010   #1
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
USB 3.0 SATA 3 and 5400 or 7200RPM drives

Does anyone have some good numbers to report with a SATA3 connection with a normal 3.5" 7200RPM hard drive? How about USB3 with a 5400RPM 2.5" USB3 enabled external hard drive connected via USB3?

I am wondering how much difference one will be able to get with SATA3 and USB3 not using SATA3 or USB3 enabled SSDs.

If you know of any good articles please let me know. I don't think it would be worth connecting a "normal 7200RPM or 5400 RPM drive to USB3 or SATA3. I think the HD would be a bottleneck. I am planning to do some testing now that I have a SATA3 / USB3 motherboard, but it's going to be expensive to get SSDs to test with. All my SSDs are being used for boot drives. I am planning to geta 5400RPM 2.5" external USB3 enabled drive to test the USB3 but I would love to know what you know about this.

The board I have for testing is a Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-880GMA-UD2H (rev. 2.1)

So the SATA3 is provided by the AMD SB850 southbridge and the USB3 is via the NEC D720200F1 controller on the board. (There is also an eSATA port on the back that is SATA3 enabled via the southbridge)

Thanks for any info. Lots of smart people here!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Dec 2010   #2
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

You are correct, USB 3 and Sata III are backwards compatible there is no advantage hanging a USB 2.0 or Sata II drive off them and expecting more speed. But stay tuned as the flood gates are opening on Sata III drives and USB 3 drives so wait if you can or pick up the old styles for cheap and live with it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #3
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
You are correct, USB 3 and Sata III are backwards compatible there is no advantage hanging a USB 2.0 or Sata II drive off them and expecting more speed. But stay tuned as the flood gates are opening on Sata III drives and USB 3 drives so wait if you can or pick up the old styles for cheap and live with it!
But what if the interface IS USB3 on an external 2.5" 5400RPM drive. We should so some speed increase. OR will the 5400RPM drive be too slow? Can a 5400RPM drive generate 6GB speeds (or anything over 3GB) That's my main question put simply. I don't think so.

BUT

SSDs should though. A little expensive, but for some it might be cool.

And how about USB3 flash drives? They will be freaking nice it seems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Dec 2010   #4
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

I just added an adapter card to convert mobo to Sata III and USB3 and I hung a Sata III SSD of it, problem solved.
Maybe someone will have some calculations for me but what I've read no gains to be had with any older hard drive formats with new high speed headers. But I've been wrong before and I'm sure soon I'll be wrong again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #5
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
I just added an adapter card to convert mobo to Sata III and USB3 and I hung a Sata III SSD of it, problem solved.
Maybe someone will have some calculations for me but what I've read no gains to be had with any older hard drive formats with new high speed headers. But I've been wrong before and I'm sure soon I'll be wrong again.
Well....thanks for thinking about it. I plan to do some testing. I just built this system for testing software, overclocking, and general messing around.

YouTube - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H system

I'll see what I can find out. If anyone else knows, let us know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #6
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

I think where you will see improvements is the SATA6 with the SSD's with Crucial now and soon I'm sure with the Vertex.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #7
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
I think where you will see improvements is the SATA6 with the SSD's with Crucial now and soon I'm sure with the Vertex.
Yep, the Crucial looks good and the controller seems to be VERY good. Most SSDs will be going to 6GB slowly. The prices of the SATA2 ones will go down for everyone else. The PCI ones are looking pretty cool also.

Here's one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-349-_-Product
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #8
Kipper

 

USB 3.0 is fast.

Here is a review I just published on a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure which I mounted a Samsung 1TB HD103UJ 7200 drive in.

MUKii HDD enclosure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #9
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
USB 3.0 is fast.

Here is a review I just published on a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure which I mounted a Samsung 1TB HD103UJ 7200 drive in.

MUKii HDD enclosure
Thanks, I will read it when I wake up.....can't keep my eyes open. Thanks again for the data.

Looks like a good enclosure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2010   #10
Kipper

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
USB 3.0 is fast.

Here is a review I just published on a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure which I mounted a Samsung 1TB HD103UJ 7200 drive in.

MUKii HDD enclosure
Thanks, I will read it when I wake up.....can't keep my eyes open. Thanks again for the data.

Looks like a good enclosure

You are welcome
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB 3.0 SATA 3 and 5400 or 7200RPM drives




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Internal SATA drives are treated as removable drives
On my Windoiws 7 Ultimate desktop PC, all my SATA hard drives are show up as removable from day 1. This is not a big problem but an anonyance. When I click "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media", all my fixed drives are listed along with the USB drive. Anyway to change the drive type of my...
Hardware & Devices
All drives now SATA
I replaced my last hold out and changed it to SSD Sata type drives. I cloned them over and everything is operating normal. In a recent view of my bios, I noticed that I still have the "onchip sata type" still as native IDE. The bios MB gives me an option of AHCI. If I did that will it screw...
Hardware & Devices
IDE and SATA drives in same box
Hello folk. We have a problem getting a fairly old PC desktop (born about 2005, mobo Foxconn 925 XE7AA), to see both SATA and PATA IDE drives. The SATA drives are seen, but when we put the IDE in, that is not seen. We have tried it on Cable Select, Master and Slave, switched cables, cursed and...
Installation & Setup
SATA drives : internal appear as External drives !
Hi very bizarre : - 3 of my 6 drives SATA connected to internal SATA connectors on board ( Z87 Deluxe) - are shown in explorer "my computer" as hard disks ( while correctly DVD and USB are in removable drives list) - however these 3 drives appear in the list of removable drives Under the W7...
Hardware & Devices
booting from msata SSD or 7200RPM HDD
hi i have a lenov w520 4270CTO. i had a MSATA SSD (under the keyboard, not a SSD that replaces the DVD drive) on which i boot and where win7 is installed AND i still have the 7200rpm HD that came with the laptop, i have a software that only runs on win XP, is there a way to install XP a...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App