Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 5.9 SSD?

24 Dec 2010   #1
nyyankeefan95

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
5.9 SSD?

Hello, i just installed an OCZ vertex 2 120GB SSD in my laptop and after the first clean install of windows my WEI score for data transfer was 7.8. I restored my comp because i couldn't use my windows upgrade key and now it is a 5.9. How can this be. I know for a fact it is the second best ssd currently on the market.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Dec 2010   #2
Ageeb

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Was it restored from an image?

Did you run the WEI after the restoration? Maybe the 5.9 is being retained from the old HDD and embeded in the image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #3
nyyankeefan95

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ageeb View Post
Was it restored from an image?

Did you run the WEI after the restoration? Maybe the 5.9 is being retained from the old HDD and embeded in the image.

Fixed...I didn't know that the WEI counts any external drives too. So i unplugged my backup drive and the score shot back up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Dec 2010   #4
Ageeb

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nyyankeefan95 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ageeb View Post
Was it restored from an image?

Did you run the WEI after the restoration? Maybe the 5.9 is being retained from the old HDD and embeded in the image.

Fixed...I didn't know that the WEI counts any external drives too. So i unplugged my backup drive and the score shot back up.
Either did I! Thanks for the info and glad you're back to full throttle . Good Find!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #5
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Does the computer feel slower? Likely it doesn't and you will notice that after allowing the system to settle in and then run the WEI later you will see much better score.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #6
nyyankeefan95

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Does the computer feel slower? Likely it doesn't and you will notice that after allowing the system to settle in and then run the WEI later you will see much better score.
The new SSD transformed my computer. It is amazing now!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #7
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Yeah they are unreal and very transformational. I noticed with mine that I was testing it in WEI and other benchmarks too often and my scores dropped.....turns out that the SSD's don't respond well to frequent testing and scores will fall. All the while the SSD still feels fast and actually it still is. Once you let some time go by without benchmarking the drive will test well with high numbers again. I found that after I just stopped testing and left well enough alone the drive scored higher than when first installed.....go figure, wei all like playing with things till they break !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #8
nyyankeefan95

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Yeah they are unreal and very transformational. I noticed with mine that I was testing it in WEI and other benchmarks too often and my scores dropped.....turns out that the SSD's don't respond well to frequent testing and scores will fall. All the while the SSD still feels fast and actually it still is. Once you let some time go by without benchmarking the drive will test well with high numbers again. I found that after I just stopped testing and left well enough alone the drive scored higher than when first installed.....go figure, wei all like playing with things till they break !
Yeah its insane how fast it boots and the computer is ready to use as soon as you can see your desktop!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #9
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

I was having trouble with my computer several weeks ago, so I installed the OS to a spinner with the SSD disconnected, to rule out the SSD as the cause. I kept thinking I can't believe I used to live like this. It was like everything was running in slow motion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #10
nyyankeefan95

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
I was having trouble with my computer several weeks ago, so I installed the OS to a spinner with the SSD disconnected, to rule out the SSD as the cause. I kept thinking I can't believe I used to live like this. It was like everything was running in slow motion.
Yeah I will never go back to an HDD!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 5.9 SSD?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App