Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: window not staying open

16 Jan 2011   #1
puddleglum

windows 7 professional (student download)
 
 
window not staying open

When I try to open my printers "properties" the window closes as soon as it opens, we're talking micro-seconds. I have uninstalled and reloaded several times to no avail. (I just started using windows 7 and am not liking it much, just one issue after another)
Anyway, I am trying to get my HP 5550 deskjet printer set up on a D-link router that has a USB print server on it. My XP desk top is accessing the printer fine, it's just my Dell Vostros 1500 now that I have Win7 on it.

Thanks for letting me vent


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jan 2011   #2
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
When I try to open my printers "properties" the window closes as soon as it opens, we're talking micro-seconds. I have uninstalled and reloaded several times to no avail. (I just started using windows 7 and am not liking it much, just one issue after another)
Anyway, I am trying to get my HP 5550 deskjet printer set up on a D-link router that has a USB print server on it. My XP desk top is accessing the printer fine, it's just my Dell Vostros 1500 now that I have Win7 on it.

Thanks for letting me vent
Do you have the correct Windows 7 drivers for the printer installed?

You can download the latest drivers here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2011   #3
bagavan

Windows 8 Professional x64
 
 

Try windows update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jan 2011   #4
puddleglum

windows 7 professional (student download)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
When I try to open my printers "properties" the window closes as soon as it opens, we're talking micro-seconds. I have uninstalled and reloaded several times to no avail. (I just started using windows 7 and am not liking it much, just one issue after another)
Anyway, I am trying to get my HP 5550 deskjet printer set up on a D-link router that has a USB print server on it. My XP desk top is accessing the printer fine, it's just my Dell Vostros 1500 now that I have Win7 on it.

Thanks for letting me vent
Do you have the correct Windows 7 drivers for the printer installed?

You can download the latest drivers here.
Windows 7 loads a driver of some sort, I don't know how they do it, if Microsoft writes there own or has HP give them one. I have been to the HP web site and the way it is set up you don't have a choice. They just say that windows 7 has the correct drivers and that they will load automatically.
I have been to the HP forums and from what I gather some folks have had luck with drivers for other model HP printers but I could not seem to get the one that was suggested to work or any of the other ones I tried. So as it is now I can not change any of my printers attributes and it has several other issues as well. Also the windows 7 driver that loads automatically for the HP5550 Deskjet does not seem to have wireless setup.
I am not an expert by any stretch, but my gut feeling is the window open/close problem is an operating system issue and if it were to stay open, I could change the HP5550 attributes, but then who know what the window is about really. Any utilities that would let me capture that window?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #5
puddleglum

windows 7 professional (student download)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bagavan View Post
Try windows update.
when I installed windows 7 I updated it until there were no more updates.

Thanks though,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #6
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
When I try to open my printers "properties" the window closes as soon as it opens, we're talking micro-seconds. I have uninstalled and reloaded several times to no avail. (I just started using windows 7 and am not liking it much, just one issue after another)
Anyway, I am trying to get my HP 5550 deskjet printer set up on a D-link router that has a USB print server on it. My XP desk top is accessing the printer fine, it's just my Dell Vostros 1500 now that I have Win7 on it.

Thanks for letting me vent
Do you have the correct Windows 7 drivers for the printer installed?

You can download the latest drivers here.
Windows 7 loads a driver of some sort, I don't know how they do it, if Microsoft writes there own or has HP give them one. I have been to the HP web site and the way it is set up you don't have a choice. They just say that windows 7 has the correct drivers and that they will load automatically.
I have been to the HP forums and from what I gather some folks have had luck with drivers for other model HP printers but I could not seem to get the one that was suggested to work or any of the other ones I tried. So as it is now I can not change any of my printers attributes and it has several other issues as well. Also the windows 7 driver that loads automatically for the HP5550 Deskjet does not seem to have wireless setup.
I am not an expert by any stretch, but my gut feeling is the window open/close problem is an operating system issue and if it were to stay open, I could change the HP5550 attributes, but then who know what the window is about really. Any utilities that would let me capture that window?
Well ain't that just dandy! That's the same reason why I stopped using HP and switched over to Canon printers.

You'd think because HP supplies the drivers to Microsoft for inclusion into the OS, they'd also be supplying the updates in the form of an individual download. But instead they take your money when they sell you a printer, and then leave you with the Highly Problematic issue of no after-sales support...

Have you by any chance tried running a full virus and malware scan to determine if that may not be the problem?

You can also try (if possible) to connect the printer to another Windows 7 machine to see if it give the same problem or not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #7
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Does that D-Link router require the Shareport software? If yes did you install it? Mine does, and I have, and my printer was setup during the Shareport setup. The Shareport software proved unreliable for me and I gave up on it and ever making use of the USB port on the router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #8
puddleglum

windows 7 professional (student download)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Does that D-Link router require the Shareport software? If yes did you install it? Mine does, and I have, and my printer was setup during the Shareport setup. The Shareport software proved unreliable for me and I gave up on it and ever making use of the USB port on the router.
It did not under XP so I would think it does not need it for windows7 either. I just log into the router and it has my printer set up and recognized.

Some thing I noticed is when I remove the HP5550 through the devise manager it reloads it automatically under "found new hardware". I need to over ride that some how and let my HP driver I down loaded install instead. I'll work on that and see what happens.

Thanks for the help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #9
puddleglum

windows 7 professional (student download)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post

Do you have the correct Windows 7 drivers for the printer installed?

You can download the latest drivers here.
Windows 7 loads a driver of some sort, I don't know how they do it, if Microsoft writes there own or has HP give them one. I have been to the HP web site and the way it is set up you don't have a choice. They just say that windows 7 has the correct drivers and that they will load automatically.
I have been to the HP forums and from what I gather some folks have had luck with drivers for other model HP printers but I could not seem to get the one that was suggested to work or any of the other ones I tried. So as it is now I can not change any of my printers attributes and it has several other issues as well. Also the windows 7 driver that loads automatically for the HP5550 Deskjet does not seem to have wireless setup.
I am not an expert by any stretch, but my gut feeling is the window open/close problem is an operating system issue and if it were to stay open, I could change the HP5550 attributes, but then who know what the window is about really. Any utilities that would let me capture that window?
Well ain't that just dandy! That's the same reason why I stopped using HP and switched over to Canon printers.

You'd think because HP supplies the drivers to Microsoft for inclusion into the OS, they'd also be supplying the updates in the form of an individual download. But instead they take your money when they sell you a printer, and then leave you with the Highly Problematic issue of no after-sales support...

Have you by any chance tried running a full virus and malware scan to determine if that may not be the problem?

You can also try (if possible) to connect the printer to another Windows 7 machine to see if it give the same problem or not.
Really not had a lot of problems with HP, but I like your acronym for it. I run my Avast software [free version] so don't think it's a bug. This printer is about 7-8 years old so I have no complaint with it's performance. Bought it on sale as a refurbished for $35 from OfficeMax. I hate to dump it when it is still working, but that is what I probably should do and buy a printer-copy-scanner-fax one that is already networkable.
Like I posted "alphanumeric" I am going to try and force W7 to install an downloaded version of the driver and see if that works. If not I'll hard wire it to my family computer and when my son leaves home he can take it and the home computer with him, and I'll have a network combo unit set up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #10
puddleglum

windows 7 professional (student download)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post

Do you have the correct Windows 7 drivers for the printer installed?

You can download the latest drivers here.
Windows 7 loads a driver of some sort, I don't know how they do it, if Microsoft writes there own or has HP give them one. I have been to the HP web site and the way it is set up you don't have a choice. They just say that windows 7 has the correct drivers and that they will load automatically.
I have been to the HP forums and from what I gather some folks have had luck with drivers for other model HP printers but I could not seem to get the one that was suggested to work or any of the other ones I tried. So as it is now I can not change any of my printers attributes and it has several other issues as well. Also the windows 7 driver that loads automatically for the HP5550 Deskjet does not seem to have wireless setup.
I am not an expert by any stretch, but my gut feeling is the window open/close problem is an operating system issue and if it were to stay open, I could change the HP5550 attributes, but then who know what the window is about really. Any utilities that would let me capture that window?
Well ain't that just dandy! That's the same reason why I stopped using HP and switched over to Canon printers.

You'd think because HP supplies the drivers to Microsoft for inclusion into the OS, they'd also be supplying the updates in the form of an individual download. But instead they take your money when they sell you a printer, and then leave you with the Highly Problematic issue of no after-sales support...

Have you by any chance tried running a full virus and malware scan to determine if that may not be the problem?

You can also try (if possible) to connect the printer to another Windows 7 machine to see if it give the same problem or not.
I got it working, just wanted to post you for trying to help. I got some advise on one of the HP forums and the first time I tried it, nothing happened and the down load ended up not unziping correctly. I used a different zip program and install this printer driver for a completely different model and it was a "parallel" driver to boot, but it worked as several of the people had posted, totally out there weird.........
But like I said thanks for being around to help!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 window not staying open




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unable to open link in new tab and won;t open new window
Not sure what happened, but starting this afternoon, Explorer 9 (released version via automatic update) will not open a link in a new tab, nor will it open that line into a new explorer window. Looked at multiple complaints and fixes for this, none worked (including the scripts). ...
Browsers & Mail
Adding 'open in new window' to search results, & opening in new window
Whenever I search in W7, I want to have the ability to open found folders in a new window. If I r-click, that option is not there. Is there a way to add this to W7? Also: When I go to 'open file location', the file's folder opens in the same window - highly annoying. In Vista, it opens in a new...
General Discussion
Open Excel workbook in active window rather than first window
Hi, I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and Office 2010 and though I'm starting to get used to all the changes there is one thing which is really bugging me. When I have two separate Excel windows open and open an Excel file from Windows Explorer the file will open in the first window not...
Microsoft Office
Can't open Apps - "Open With" window always appears
Can't open any programs cuz this annoying window "Open with" pops up asking what application I want to open this file with? If I go browse and select the file (i.e. IE) then another window opens asking if I want to run, save or cancel. When I hit Run.... windows close and nothing happens. ...
Software
Window won't open in same window
Hi.I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit .I have ticked in Folder Options to open windows in same window but it won't work,the windows are opening in new window! Please help! I am searchin for the solution all day and can't find anything working for me! :cry:
General Discussion
Help, multiple explorer.exe's staying open.
Hello all First, running Win7 64bit on full & clean install to a new HD. Recently I have been noticing on a few trips to task manager that some times I will have a whole bunch of explorer.exe's running even if I have nothing but my desktop. In doing some checking I found...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:55.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App